HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 01-25-2021, 10:24 PM   #1
Rory McNeil
VIP Member

Liked 939 Times in 259 Posts
Default NHRA car numbers in late 60s.

I have a program and entry list for the 1970 Winternationals, and I noticed at that time, the car numbers were not based on the Division the driver was from. Also, most of the Stock and S/S cars had 3 digit numbers. In the entry list, for example, car numbers 812, 813, 814, etc could be assigned to racers from several different divisions. Just wondering if these numbers were assigned to a particular car and driver, just for that one National Event, so the same car would have a different number for each National, or were they similar to the "permanent " numbers, that have been in place, since at least the mid 70s, with the first number denoting the drivers NHRA division. If so, what year did NHRA come out with the permanent divisional number system? I have had my number since 1976, so I assume it was some time between 1970 and 76?
Liked
Old 01-26-2021, 08:57 AM   #2
Steve Stasko

Liked 229 Times in 121 Posts
Default Re: NHRA car numbers in late 60s.

Numbers were assigned per race.

The permanent/division numbers came out in 1972.
Steve Stasko is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 01-26-2021, 01:26 PM   #3
frank johnson

Liked 8 Times in 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Stasko View Post

I had #648 back in the 60's
frank johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 02:49 PM   #4
Hacksaw

Liked 276 Times in 151 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Stasko View Post

That may be true for the Sportsman but an old friend, Don MacArthur ( RIP ) raced Top Fuel starting in the 60's and on at times he would pull out his licence from his wallet and show off his number, think it was like # 68 or something like that. Funny but he always called it Top Fool.

Last edited by Hacksaw; 01-26-2021 at 02:51 PM. Reason: missed word
Hacksaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 04:28 PM   #5
nhramnl

Liked 352 Times in 82 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hacksaw View Post
That may be true for the Sportsman but an old friend, Don MacArthur ( RIP ) raced Top Fuel starting in the 60's and on at times he would pull out his licence from his wallet and show off his number, think it was like # 68 or something like that. Funny but he always called it Top Fool.
Probably called it that because he periodically looked at his lifestyle and bank balance, and understood, at those times, the wonderful life he was giving up to be filthy, broke and endlessly disappointed.
nhramnl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 05:24 PM   #6
Hacksaw

Liked 276 Times in 151 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhramnl View Post
Probably called it that because he periodically looked at his lifestyle and bank balance, and understood, at those times, the wonderful life he was giving up to be filthy, broke and endlessly disappointed.
What you say maybe true for the most part but endlessly disappointed is not. He was quite successful, ran with likes of Garlits, Prudomme, Sneaky Pete Robinson, Karamesines and many others. Had many track records and not sure but I think he held the Nat. record at one time.
Hacksaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 05:41 PM   #7
nhramnl

Liked 352 Times in 82 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hacksaw View Post
What you say maybe true for the most part but endlessly disappointed is not. He was quite successful, ran with likes of Garlits, Prudomme, Sneaky Pete Robinson, Karamesines and many others. Had many track records and not sure but I think he held the Nat. record at one time.
So sorry. Was not, in any way, actually focused on your friend. Rather, was just speaking for "us", the numerous "fools" who have frittered away multiple fortunes, just to smell race fuel exhaust, do burnouts, and leave the starting line with our eyes stuck to the back of our head. Your friend is just a member of a large and crazy brotherhood, to which I am very proud to belong. RIP to him and those pioneers like him.
nhramnl is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 01-26-2021, 05:51 PM   #8
TOM KASCH
VIP Member

Liked 241 Times in 100 Posts

the div number cameou tin 1974, I had 1700 in 73 for some reason don't remember why.
But asked for 3300 in 74 and got .
TOM KASCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 09:32 PM   #9
Rory McNeil
VIP Member

Liked 939 Times in 259 Posts

Speaking of Top Fuel, there were 78 Top Fuel cars entered at the 78 Winters, plus 52 Funny Cars, and 47 Pro Stockers. Weren`t Pro Stock and F/C both pretty new classes in 1970? Also had 78 cars entered in Comp, 116 (!), in Modified, 79 S/S cars, and 174 entries in Stock. Thats 624 cars, NOT counting Top Gas Dragster. I guess there was enough pit space, as I doubt even the upper echelon Top Fuel cars had a dozen 18 wheelers for the team.