HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 01-24-2022, 02:46 PM   #41
Eric Merryfield

Liked 471 Times in 114 Posts
Thumbs up Re: Cylinder head flow - What is crucial in a stocker?

Quote:
Originally Posted by B Parker View Post
Stan I just sold my business. I'm helping with the transition but I'm only working about 20 hrs. a week. Down from 10hrs a day 7days a week. I had 19 employees. What a weight off my shoulders. I'm 66 and feel I should've done it 2 years ago. Don't wait too late. Get out while we have our health. BP
Congrads Barry, since you are going to be commitment free, we look forward to seeing you at a lot of events this year putting a spanking on racers from near and far with that bad *** camaro!

Eric
Old 01-24-2022, 07:59 PM   #42
B Parker

Liked 2,314 Times in 455 Posts
Default Re: Cylinder head flow - What is crucial in a stocker?

Quote:
Originally Posted by B Parker View Post
Stan I wouldn't argue anything about machine work with you, but I disagree on the HP needed. Maybe in a lightweight car. But in my 40 plus years of running stockers I'd say more like 15 to 18HP. The point I was going to make if someone can pick up .7 with an intake and heads you must have some pretty bad heads to begin with. Just a few years ago it was 8hp difference with an intake on a small block stocker. If someone is getting much more than that I would love to see it in tec at Indy.
Using the 15 hp number to go .7 you would need to pick up 105hp. That would be 97 hp from head minus the intake. I think I use one of the best out there but if you have someone that can get me 100 hp from a set of heads please let me know. BP
Sorry for any confusion. I originally put .07 but like someone said earlier in a post it's 7 tenths you pick up with heads and an intake. I do still stand by my statement if you pick up anywhere near 7 tenths from a good set of heads and intake you better stop going to the lawn mower shop for your machine work. BP Thanks Bill for catching it. Trying to do to many things at the same time.
B Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 01-24-2022, 08:10 PM   #43
B Parker

Liked 2,314 Times in 455 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Merryfield View Post
Congrads Barry, since you are going to be commitment free, we look forward to seeing you at a lot of events this year putting a spanking on racers from near and far with that bad *** camaro!

Eric
Thanks Eric never thought I would sell it during Covid. Sold it for a little less than it was worth but glad to have it gone.
Most of my years racing I always had to leave late and take phone calls all day while away. Most of the time a friend or two would meet me at my house 6 at night to finish getting my car ready than to load everything and get on the road for midnight. Drive half of the night and hope someone saved me a spot. Get in in the morning and unload the car to rush to make the first time shot. It will be nice to be able to enjoy the races this year. BP
B Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 09:08 PM   #44
Dave Gantz

Liked 224 Times in 118 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Diehl View Post
Air is different than water, or is it? anybody that messed with overpowered outboard boats knows that primer is faster than smooth and shiny on the pad and the lower unit, 4,5 or 6 mph and how you go from stuck in the upper 90's to breaking triple digits......that "theory" that has been proven also applies to cylinder head ports...but what do I know? the "experts say, size matters more", not flow
Been a while, Bill.
Dave Gantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 01-26-2022, 09:57 AM   #45
HP HUNTER

Liked 238 Times in 97 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipper Chapman View Post
I realize that most stock eliminator engines don’t have what we would call “high” amounts of valve lift. But my question is, considering the amount of dwell at maximum lifts due to our day long durations, where is improving the flow and velocity more crucial? Is it low lift, .100-.300 or what we’ll call higher lift of .350 and up? Typical engines we would not consider maximum max lift flow numbers for much more than bragging rights, and would consider the low and mid lift to be more important as the valve passes through that area twice, which yes it still does, albeit extremely fast. Obviously improving it everywhere is the best case, but often what improves low lift can hurt the high lift and vice versa. So what is the more critical area of improvement in these situations?
I will answer your question: My stocker combination also had .398 lift @ the valve. I dyno tested my engine as it came out of the car 474 HP @ 5400 RPM. I re rung the short block and turned my attention to the heads and intake. I focused on the .200 .300 .400 lift flow and made a nice gain. The engine went back on the dyno, I now had had 513 HP @ 5700-6000. In the real world that HP increase picked my car up exactly 3.2 MPH.
A BBC oval port head with either .398 or .460 lift @ the valve will require either welding the intake seat or Intake valve seats to do what your trying to do, as cast the bowl is too big for a 2.070 valve, which destroys low lift flow.

Example
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1428.jpg
Views:	382
Size:	398.7 KB
ID:	61768   Click image for larger version

Name:	CHE100.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	15.0 KB
ID:	61769  

Last edited by HP HUNTER; 01-26-2022 at 03:01 PM.
HP HUNTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2022, 01:00 PM   #46
Mark Yacavone
Veteran Member

Liked 4,447 Times in 1,693 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP HUNTER View Post
I will answer your question: My stocker combination also had .398 lift @ the valve. I dyno tested my engine as it came out of the car 474 HP @ 5400 RPM. I re rung the short block and turned my attention to the heads and intake. I focused on the .200 .300 .400 lift flow and made a nice gain. The engine went back on the dyno, I now had had 513 HP @ 5700-6000. In the real world that HP increase picked my car up exactly 3.2 MPH.
A BBC oval port head with either .398 or .460 lift @ the valve will require either welding the intake seat or Intake valve seats to do what your trying to do, as cast the bowl is too big for a 2.070 valve, which destroys low lift flow.

Example
There ya' go..Talk about sharing..Wow!
Old 01-27-2022, 09:43 AM   #47
Billy Nees
VIP Member

Liked 6,782 Times in 1,521 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Yacavone View Post
There ya' go..Talk about sharing..Wow!
Hey Yac, what do you think it's gonna take to make THAT^^^ look "stock"?

World's greatest Under-Achiever!
Billy Nees is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 01-27-2022, 10:07 AM   #48
Larry Hill
Live Reporter

Liked 9,449 Times in 1,954 Posts

Looks like a good start for Super Stock.
Larry Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2022, 10:28 AM   #49
HP HUNTER

Liked 238 Times in 97 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Hill View Post
Looks like a good start for Super Stock.
Well then you can say the welding is for Super Stock and the seats are for Stock.........theres more than one way to get there.
HP HUNTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2022, 11:52 AM   #50
Glenn Briglio
VIP Member

Liked 822 Times in 264 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Nees View Post
Hey Yac, what do you think it's gonna take to make THAT^^^ look "stock"?
Special medicine..........