HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > .90 Heads Up Class Racing

Old 01-23-2022, 04:09 PM   #1
Chads55

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Portatree Set up for S/G or S?ST

I am requesting help in setting up my Portatree Next Gen practice tree so I can practice with the correct settings. .400 pro tree or .370 ? How do I figure my roll out settings correctly? any other important settings? Thanks for all the help guys.
Chads55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 10:59 AM   #2
Tom Goldman
VIP Member

Liked 696 Times in 201 Posts
Default Re: Portatree Set up for S/G or S?ST

All NHRA events are either a .370 or .470 tree so always start there for your baseline. you can always add additional delay for independent races that might utilize a ,400 or .500 tree .
If you already have a base delay for your car you can start with that and adjust the rollout to bring your reaction times into the area of your average RT'S on the track .
Typical roll numbers can be between .220 and .260 depending on class ,horsepower ,chassis setup, and launch rpm.
My own car has a rollout of around .230 . and I typically need between .030 .040 delay.
Once you have a data base of actual track runs to compare to practice tree runs you can fine tune the roll settings .
If you are using it with the full size tree , Allison Doll recently posted about the Portatree ,or any practice tree , that you should try to position the tree to be as far away as the actual track tree to get a more realistic reaction to the lights.
Old 01-24-2022, 03:51 PM   #3
Lenny5160

Liked 432 Times in 225 Posts

You don't need to get too caught up in settings when practicing for a Pro tree. IMO, that is much more important for bottom bulb practice, to find a 'spot' that closely resembles how your car reacts.

For the Pro tree, just pick a rollout that will allow you to red light with zero delay, then adjust the delay to get the reactions times that you want. All you are really looking to do is make your reaction times repeat within a tight window.
Old 01-25-2022, 11:30 AM   #4
reknapp52

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Goldman View Post
All NHRA events are either a .370 or .470 tree so always start there for your baseline. you can always add additional delay for independent races that might utilize a ,400 or .500 tree .
If you already have a base delay for your car you can start with that and adjust the rollout to bring your reaction times into the area of your average RT'S on the track .
Typical roll numbers can be between .220 and .260 depending on class ,horsepower ,chassis setup, and launch rpm.
My own car has a rollout of around .230 . and I typically need between .030 .040 delay.
Once you have a data base of actual track runs to compare to practice tree runs you can fine tune the roll settings .
If you are using it with the full size tree , Allison Doll recently posted about the Portatree ,or any practice tree , that you should try to position the tree to be as far away as the actual track tree to get a more realistic reaction to the lights.
I think in D5 the quick tree is only at National Events, the standard .400 and .500 tree is still used at Divisional and Regional? Can anyone confirm?
reknapp52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 01-25-2022, 12:51 PM   #5
Lenny5160

Liked 432 Times in 225 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by reknapp52 View Post
I think in D5 the quick tree is only at National Events, the standard .400 and .500 tree is still used at Divisional and Regional? Can anyone confirm?
I typically only run one national event per year, but I use the same general delay that I use at divisionals. Pretty sure it's always .370 in SG/SC.
Liked
Old 01-25-2022, 02:21 PM   #6
TCHilton

Liked 43 Times in 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by reknapp52 View Post
This is not correct. Each track is set to the same ".370/.470" standard, with the exception of Denver which has an additional .1 autostart delay built in due to the altitude.

Travis
TCHilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 01-25-2022, 10:30 PM   #7
reknapp52

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts

Wow, thanks guys--that explains some problems that I've been having and trying to blame on my transmission.
reknapp52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 01-26-2022, 08:31 AM   #8
Keith 944
VIP Member

Liked 1,634 Times in 516 Posts

Keep in mind rollout at different tracks, tree positions etc all can have an effect on r/t
Keith 944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2022, 11:29 AM   #9
TCHilton

Liked 43 Times in 7 Posts

Update for thread from NHRA yesterday

NHRA Announces Change to Super Category LED Compensation

https://www.nhraracer.com/content/ge...436&zoneid=175

travis.hilton@heartlandpark.com
TCHilton is offline   Reply With Quote