Yes AHFS (I have raced there in the last 10 years) 33 12.99%
No AHFS (I have NOT raced there in last 10 years) 77 30.31%
Yes AHFS (I have NOT raced there in last 10 years) 26 10.24%
Voters: 254. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-13-2021, 10:48 PM   #51
GTS340

Liked 1,057 Times in 332 Posts
Default Re: Indy AHFS Poll

I would fair guess those with fast cars know their limitations. Well most do anyway. Some don't care about AHFS. Indy makes time for tear downs. Fast cars take good drivers to still hit the tree to avoid unwanted power added. Specially when class and heads up racing comes into play. Either way it makes for good racing in stock and superstock.
Both cars in the final of Epping found an extra 2 tenths when needed. AA/SA isn't the easiest class to run like they did. Hats off and Fun to watch!

Paul Haszlauer
GTS340 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 08:52 AM   #52
DYER

Liked 181 Times in 46 Posts

nhra should look at this poll and change indy back to no ahfs. the vote is in
DYER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 07:30 AM   #53
thomas sheehan
Photographer

Liked 77 Times in 30 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Brand 505B View Post
Keep the AHFS. Though the air sucks it's the place where it has the highest chance of working. The AHFS is FAR from perfect but it's the only thing we have. Too many soft combos that could use a little whacked off the top.
A truer statement has never been made... thanks!
Why have it at all if you are not going to use it.... especially at the biggest race of them all!
Old 06-16-2021, 08:47 AM   #54

Liked 530 Times in 117 Posts

For me Indy is about seeing our racing family from all over the country and beyond, some of whom I only see once a year and the excitement of heads up class racing. Working on the car all year trying to make it faster, prepping it before class runoffs and racing against the best/fastest racers in your class are what Indy is about. I have raced at Indy where I was sweating out the final qualifying sheet to see if I made it in to the other end of the spectrum where I’m pretty sure I can qualify. AHFS will never work if class is run as last year. In a competitive class with 5 or 6 cars tightly packed together some people simply made the decision to use the passes to just qualify and not prep the car for an all out run. The way class was run last year really took the luster off of Indy for me. A solution to the AHFS could be run class the way we have for the last 50 years excluding last year. If a race qualifies as a mineshaft race should it be mineshaft for everybody? Indy should be the one race where we let it all hang out, leave everything we have on the track. The poll indicates the racers wishes. If NHRA wants confirmation they could do their own poll of the class racers who have attended Indy.
Mike McMahan 2543 H/SA

Last edited by 4543; 06-16-2021 at 09:45 AM.
4543 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2021, 02:21 PM   #55
John Duzac

Liked 85 Times in 20 Posts
Exclamation Re: Indy AHFS Poll

2021 US Nationals AFIS. Has any new information about use of the AFIS system been decided? It is truly a shame to dum-down class racing at Indy.
Old 07-19-2021, 09:55 AM   #56

Liked 917 Times in 239 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Duzac View Post
2021 US Nationals AFIS. Has any new information about use of the AFIS system been decided? It is truly a shame to dum-down class racing at Indy.
Has anyone contacted NHRA to see if they would even reconsider the AFHS for Indy? It appears a large majority would like it reconsidered, but is there a process to ask to even do that?

1342 SS/GT

Last edited by 1347; 07-19-2021 at 12:51 PM.
1347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2021, 09:19 AM   #57
Larry Hill
Live Reporter

Liked 9,411 Times in 1,949 Posts

If you think about the AHFS at Indy it will be no different at any of the races this year. The #128 qualifier will be at or about -.850 under the index, so the race will be mineshaft. At a mineshaft race you can’t help or hurt your average or trigger a review with two runs of -1.00 under the index. The only part of the AHFS that will be in play will be -1.200 under rule and the Monday morning adjustment. This will create a delicate dance at the finish line and increased front tire sales for the tire folks. An unexpected tail wind could be real expensive. The plus side is you may squeeze by the fast car if they think they’re going sub -1.20 under for the class win.

Bring your dancing shoes but don’t crash.

It’s Indy......... Go Fast Or Go Home!, I’m just reading what was on the drink holder.

C ya at Indy
Larry Hill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2021, 04:44 PM   #58

Liked 917 Times in 239 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Hill View Post
If you think about the AHFS at Indy it will be no different at any of the races this year. The #128 qualifier will be at or about -.850 under the index, so the race will be mineshaft. At a mineshaft race you can’t help or hurt your average or trigger a review with two runs of -1.00 under the index. The only part of the AHFS that will be in play will be -1.200 under rule and the Monday morning adjustment. This will create a delicate dance at the finish line and increased front tire sales for the tire folks. An unexpected tail wind could be real expensive. The plus side is you may squeeze by the fast car if they think they’re going sub -1.20 under for the class win.

It’s Indy......... Go Fast Or Go Home!, I’m just reading what was on the drink holder.

C ya at Indy
I believe to be a mineshaft the number 64 car needs to be .85 under

1342 SS/GT
1347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2021, 10:12 PM   #59
Jeff Dona SS3269

Liked 54 Times in 8 Posts

At this time there are more stock and ss cars entered at the National event before and after Indy. Talked to a few people in Columbus this passed weekend and they felt the same way as me why was this done without getting the pulse of the guys that race Indy year after year.
Jeff Dona SS3269 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2021, 10:47 PM   #60
B Parker

Liked 2,312 Times in 455 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Hill View Post

C ya at Indy
Larry it's Indy Go Fast but not faster than 1.20 and go home with more weight. BP
B Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked