HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Tech > Support Tech
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 10-15-2012, 09:08 PM   #1
Tar Heel

Default towing with a 4.8L?

We just picked up a 2001 GMC extended cab 1500 2WD with the 4.8L. We needed a truck and found a deal locally on a very, very clean low-mileage vehicle that we couldn't pass up. We'd like to tow a 3200lb. race car in 20' enclosed trailer that will weigh approximately the same as the race car. We don't have any extras like a 4-wheeler, spare engine, transmission, etc. ... just a small toolbox. Total weight will be about 6500lbs. which I believe it the maximum the truck/engine is rated. It didn't come with a tow package so I'll put a good transmission cooler on it and use a nice sway bar package of course. We live in East Texas and will mostly race local so everything is flat and we don't plan to tow terribly long distances. Can those with experience with a 4.8 let me know what to expect? I haven't purchased a trailer yet and if it is going to be too much or unsafe I'll go to Big Tex and get a nice open trailer.

Thanks.
Old 10-16-2012, 09:03 AM   #2
Rusty Davenport

Liked 100 Times in 26 Posts
Wink Re: towing with a 4.8L?

If you plan to race local get a nice open trailer with a box for the gear........put the money in your car and enjoy yourself.
Old 10-16-2012, 02:29 PM   #3
Philip Saran

Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
Default Re: towing with a 4.8L?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Davenport View Post
If you plan to race local get a nice open trailer with a box for the gear........put the money in your car and enjoy yourself.
X-2 For local racing a open dove tail trailer with a storage box works well.
Old 10-16-2012, 03:23 PM   #4
Tar Heel

My mistake guys ... I should clarify "local". The car is an '04 Corvette that will run IHRA Pure Stock in C/PS. There are a couple divisional/national IHRA races here in Texas so I'll never have to drive more than 5 hours or so. Yes, we'll bracket race at our local track but we would also like to run class so having an enclosed will be nice for the three-day events. Will the 4.8L tow 6,500lbs. on flat ground safely knowing that I won't be doing too much passing?
Old 10-16-2012, 04:35 PM   #5
Doug Domm

Liked 83 Times in 20 Posts

A friend of ours had much the same truck except 4wd. I don't know the gear ratio of yours but his had 3.73. He used my open trailer to go on a snowmobiling trip with some friends and only had two sleds on the trailer. Now granted it was winter but a mild weekend non the less. He came home grumbling about how much fuel he burned and the lack of power. On a 480km (300 mile) round trip he used 275 ltrs. Or about 60 imperial gals. Yes we are in Canada (metric) You do the math to US gal. As for power on the bigger hills he could barely maintain 45 mph and on the flat anything over 60 mph felt like it was testing the limits. This was a relatively low km truck and had a K&N filter and aftermarket exhaust. To drive as a passenger vehicle it was just fine but to make it work a little was a very sorry event. I'm not trying to rain on your parade but you asked and this is one experience I am aware of. Maybe his truck was a dud, it's gone now replaced with a Duramax and he couldnt be happier. He pulls a 27ft. fifth wheel travel trailer and his 18ft. boat behind that with no problem and no complaints about fuel economy.
Doug Domm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 04:44 PM   #6
David Lee
VIP Member

Liked 253 Times in 103 Posts

You may be able to tow that 20' trailer with your truck if the weather is good, but if you get into a windy situation I would not want to driving that rig.

Last edited by David Lee; 10-16-2012 at 04:50 PM.
David Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 07:57 PM   #7
Tar Heel

Thanks for the input guys. I appreciate the honesty and no hard feelings. I really like the truck and we use it for so many other things as well. I'll just pick up a nice open trailer and tow with that. For what I plan to race that will do just fine. I'm glad that I found out before I invested in an enclosed trailer.
Old 10-16-2012, 10:36 PM   #8
L78 Nova

Liked 17 Times in 11 Posts

I have a 2000 GMC 4x4 short w 3.73 gears... works OK for my Nova on an open trailer.... Couldn't do over 55mph with a 15' (heavy) travel trailer against a strong headwind.

Ate a tank of fuel on the way out against the wind and barely a third of a tank coming home with no wind.
L78 Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 08:27 AM   #9
Rusty Davenport

Liked 100 Times in 26 Posts

It's interesting how much input is given on things like gas mileage and rear gearing in relation to engine size...........that is such a small issue PULLING..........the issue is handling and STOPPING in traffic...........you are doing the right thing with an open trailer, leave the difficult moments for the track, not the trip.
Old 10-21-2012, 08:27 AM   #10
james schaechter
VIP Member

Liked 1,212 Times in 249 Posts

A friend of ours used to tow with a 4 door yukon with a 350. It pulled ok power wise and actually handled well. The problem was the rearend. It would knock out the pinion bearings. It had a towing package and a small car trailer.

We used to tow with an open trailer all the time. Much better match for what you have. You will still want more truck though. Once you feel the stability and brakes on a heavy 3/4 or bigger, you will not want to tow with any 1/2 ton again.
It isn't the power, it is the ability to deal with wind, or a panic stop or evasive manuevers that will make the difference. Once that mushy suspension package and weak brakes get tested, it can take you for a very scary and dangerous ride if you are overloaded.