HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 04-20-2009, 10:38 AM   #1
Chevellewagon

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Suspension help

I have a 69 Chevelle wagon that is a "natural" K car. It is a stocker and the suspension is the same set up from when W A Lee owned it as far as I know. When making any turn the body leans over greatly. The rear had one air bag on the right when I bought it and the front end lifted the left front off the track and the right stayed on the ground. I installed an air bag to the left and ran about 15 lbs on the left and about 30 on the right and it picked both front tires about 8 inches on the launch. I would like to update the suspension front and rear but I am curious about the way the car leans(scared the heck out of the local fire dept at one race on the turn off!). I have been told that the lower ball joints must have been lenghtened for the car to lean like that. Is that correct? Also notice that when the front tires are off the ground they appear to be straight not cambered in or out like so many cars I have seen. Is this set up good or bad.
Thanks to any and all help you gentlemen can give me. Not looking to set any records just want to be competitive..........lot's of luck!!
Phil Daly
K/SA 1686
Chevellewagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 11:33 AM   #2
Harry 6674

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Suspension help

Off the ground and straight is a good thing assuming they are straight when their when on the ground. Sounds like a good setup.
Harry 6674 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 11:48 AM   #3
Bob Bender
VIP Member

Liked 372 Times in 80 Posts

I have a 69 Kingswood O/SA and it does the same. The rear has a spool in it and when u turn it makes it lean. Both wheels turn the same...no slipage.
Old 04-20-2009, 12:23 PM   #4
bobby

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Most of the bracket cars that I have seen with coil springs on the rear, lean when they turn. Most have spools also,. guess that's normal. Most leave the line flat also. Most with air bags.
Old 04-20-2009, 12:47 PM   #5
Dragsinger
VIP Member

Liked 99 Times in 60 Posts

the leaning you describe is a basic characteristic for that suspension style. [basically, you have the car sitting on four coil springs with nothing to control "body roll"]

A rear "anti-roll bar" will cure the leaning and make the car overall more stable. It is very likely that a properly installed and properly adjusted anti-roll bar will allow removing the air bags.

Please correct me if I am mistaken, I think a bolt on kit is legal.
Old 04-20-2009, 08:50 PM   #6
njk53

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thumbs up Re: Suspension help

My brother and I have basically the same car as you (Ours is a 71 Chevelle wagon, natural K/SA). The leaning is the result of using a 90-10 shock on the front. Also it is a result of not having sway control as stated by Dragsinger. The leaning is normal. I am assuming that your car leans over when turning and when you get it straight and burp the throttle, the front end will come back to normal ride height. If it stays leaning, there is a problem somewhere in the front suspension mechanicals.

Last edited by njk53; 04-20-2009 at 08:52 PM. Reason: added more info.
njk53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 12:43 AM   #7
Rick Kagawa

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post

I have an A body. A C/SA 1970 Chevelle. If you are using the stock suspension, you will have the A body lean.

My suggestion is to call Alf Weibe. He has the A Body suspension wired. I have been using his parts for seven years. His supension launches straight without any lean. I have seen others that have a straight launching car without his suspension. They are rare and require a lot of work. I wanted a perfect launch out of the box. He has really helped me make my car fast and straight.

The NHRA has lately been giving him a hard time. I understand that he has a solution that is acceptable to the NHRA tech department

Here is his email: wiebemetal@shaw.ca

Rick Kagawa
Rick Kagawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 06:29 AM   #8
rallye bob

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts

Is Alf, producing GM "A" body suspension systems/components again?
rallye bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 07:30 AM   #9
Dion Hildebrandt

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

i dont know if he is building stuff, or just has stock on the shelf. i have just gotten his front end kit over the winter, by the way the front pieces are works of art. if the email doesnt work pm me i have his phone #
Old 04-21-2009, 06:42 PM   #10
Chevellewagon

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry 6674 View Post
Off the ground and straight is a good thing assuming they are straight when their when on the ground. Sounds like a good setup.

The tires are straight when on the ground. I am going to get it re-aligned as since the roll bar was installed it "wanders" a little down track.
Chevellewagon is offline   Reply With Quote