Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 01-29-2022, 10:47 PM   #71
Doug Hoven

Liked 752 Times in 146 Posts
Default Re: Never to early to think about Indy and AHFS

Quote:
Originally Posted by B Parker View Post
So Billy, if you think it's only the high HP cars that have benefited from the rules. Build your car to today's rules. Get some pistons and rods approved. Build a 2022 Stocker motor. I bet your sitting on a 1.40 plus under car. The only one that is stopping you from achieving that is you. Don't blame those of us that have. Remember there NHRA's rules not mine nor yours.

You also need to go back and take a look at the aftermarket parts that they allow. I don't think there are many fast small block Chevy's with stock short blocks.
It’s funny that you bring up the “challenge” of bringing one of Billy’s combinations “into 2022.” I’m currently in the process of redoing the engine in the 6 cylinder nova. I pretty much have been doing everything that I have been told as far as using more modern parts. This includes a more modern lobe style cam, rocker and spring combo, and a different ring package. The pistons I left alone being that they are very good quality to begin with, and I’m not sure an aftermarket rod will help a sub 6,500rpm motor. Going to try a good 3 speed as well over the powerglide. The things I have changed have all helped make the higher horsepower cars as fast as they are today. Time will tell if the 6 cylinder will appreciate such parts.
Old 01-29-2022, 11:49 PM   #72
B Parker

Liked 2,325 Times in 456 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Hoven View Post
It’s funny that you bring up the “challenge” of bringing one of Billy’s combinations “into 2022.” I’m currently in the process of redoing the engine in the 6 cylinder nova. I pretty much have been doing everything that I have been told as far as using more modern parts. This includes a more modern lobe style cam, rocker and spring combo, and a different ring package. The pistons I left alone being that they are very good quality to begin with, and I’m not sure an aftermarket rod will help a sub 6,500rpm motor. Going to try a good 3 speed as well over the powerglide. The things I have changed have all helped make the higher horsepower cars as fast as they are today. Time will tell if the 6 cylinder will appreciate such parts.
Doug I'm glad to see your taking on this project. It will be interesting to see how much you pick the car up. My thought with the aftermarket rods wasn't so much as the strength but to be able to play with rotating weight. I would think the quicker you can get that car moving the faster you will go. I have a good spare metric, but I use a 350 spline. You should take advantage of a metric converter. Let us all know how you make out. Thanks Barry
B Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 01-30-2022, 11:03 AM   #73
James Perrone
VIP Member

Liked 1,636 Times in 384 Posts

When I got into this stock eliminator deal I figured … This is just a bracket race
Until I got whooped in a heads up against Tex Miller
Guess what I went to the fastest guy with a nova 350/255
B&B performance That cost me a bunch of $$. Car was not fast
Heads where ported I asked how’s this possible.
Well we push the rules we know this is good. Glen Briglio
Well after that I went to Bub. Asked him for a fast engine.
Bub said no porting. Needed we do it right
Bub said is gonna cost $$.
Guess what. It was fast and legal proven at tear down
Point being just beacaue you have good parts and professional engine builder. Don’t mean your gonna be fast.
I go to a professional to be legal and fast.
Why is this frowned on to make your car as fast as possible with rules given?

Like Barry pointed out. Different strokes for different folks
We all race to go fast … but we do it differently according to rules provided
$$$ and hard work is what it takes.
By the way Tilburg does my motor because I want the best
Like Barry. And you
Old 01-30-2022, 11:03 AM   #74
Billy Nees
VIP Member

Liked 6,966 Times in 1,570 Posts

Barry, how much did all of these modern changes raise the peak RPM potential of your combo? That and the "enhanced" heads and intake is where all of the gains are being made.
Just an FYI, you seem to be assuming that all of my stuff is 30 years old. The Pontiac and the Gold Nova have state-of-the-art short blocks and valvetrains in them.

As for the "modernizing" that Doug is trying out, we'll see.

What is "NORMAL"???
Billy Nees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2022, 11:11 AM   #75
Billy Nees
VIP Member

Liked 6,966 Times in 1,570 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Perrone View Post
Hey Ponko! I hope this isn't directed at me!

I have a problem with Racers who have a problem with the AHFS rules, following the AHFS rules and complaining when they get caught up in the enforcement of those AHFS rules.

What is "NORMAL"???
Billy Nees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2022, 11:51 AM   #76
Doug Hoven

Quote:
Originally Posted by B Parker View Post
Doug I'm glad to see your taking on this project. It will be interesting to see how much you pick the car up. My thought with the aftermarket rods wasn't so much as the strength but to be able to play with rotating weight. I would think the quicker you can get that car moving the faster you will go. I have a good spare metric, but I use a 350 spline. You should take advantage of a metric converter. Let us all know how you make out. Thanks Barry
I understand completely with the rotating weight. One of the changes I’m making was the ring package I put together which cut ALOT of ring tension out of the equation. The hope is to cut some drag out and allow the engine to spin up with less effort. Unfortunately a new converter for the metric is not really in the budget at this time, but we were able to piece together a glide input setup. With this I can use the same converter in the car as well as the other experimental 6 cylinder converters Billy has tried over the years.
Old 01-30-2022, 12:11 PM   #77
Paul Precht

Liked 242 Times in 94 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Hoven View Post
I understand completely with the rotating weight. One of the changes I’m making was the ring package I put together which cut ALOT of ring tension out of the equation. The hope is to cut some drag out and allow the engine to spin up with less effort. Unfortunately a new converter for the metric is not really in the budget at this time, but we were able to piece together a glide input setup. With this I can use the same converter in the car as well as the other experimental 6 cylinder converters Billy has tried over the years.
Not sure about Chevys but the aftermarket rods for a 383-440 weigh more than the stock ones and (legal) replacement pistons for BBM are still 900 + grams with pins.
Paul Precht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2022, 12:35 PM   #78
Carguy49
VIP Member

Liked 2,295 Times in 610 Posts

"It’s funny that you bring up the “challenge” of bringing one of Billy’s combinations “into 2022.” I’m currently in the process of redoing the engine in the 6 cylinder nova. I pretty much have been doing everything that I have been told as far as using more modern parts. This includes a more modern lobe style cam, rocker and spring combo, and a different ring package. The pistons I left alone being that they are very good quality to begin with, and I’m not sure an aftermarket rod will help a sub 6,500rpm motor. Going to try a good 3 speed as well over the powerglide. The things I have changed have all helped make the higher horsepower cars as fast as they are today. Time will tell if the 6 cylinder will appreciate such parts."

Doug, what was your best time with the old combo and where do you hope to be when it gets back to the track? Just curious and good luck with your project.
Old 01-30-2022, 02:24 PM   #79
Doug Hoven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carguy49 View Post
"It’s funny that you bring up the “challenge” of bringing one of Billy’s combinations “into 2022.” I’m currently in the process of redoing the engine in the 6 cylinder nova. I pretty much have been doing everything that I have been told as far as using more modern parts. This includes a more modern lobe style cam, rocker and spring combo, and a different ring package. The pistons I left alone being that they are very good quality to begin with, and I’m not sure an aftermarket rod will help a sub 6,500rpm motor. Going to try a good 3 speed as well over the powerglide. The things I have changed have all helped make the higher horsepower cars as fast as they are today. Time will tell if the 6 cylinder will appreciate such parts."

Doug, what was your best time with the old combo and where do you hope to be when it gets back to the track? Just curious and good luck with your project.
The fastest I went was on a sub 50 degree day at Atco in November. I went a 14.35 at about 90mph. The fastest I went during the season was .20 under at Cecil for the division race. I’m not really sure what to expect when it goes back together. The engine had not been apart since 2001, so it’s safe to say even just a fresh rebuild would pick the car up a decent amount. I also utilized the “automatic help for slugs” as previously named in this thread and got a few hp off the combo. It didn’t seem fair to have an inline 6 with a 200 cfm carb to be rated the same as v6s with better heads and means of induction. The loss of weight will definitely help some.

Last edited by Doug Hoven; 01-30-2022 at 02:28 PM.
Doug Hoven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2022, 10:24 PM   #80
B Parker

Liked 2,325 Times in 456 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Perrone View Post
When I got into this stock eliminator deal I figured … This is just a bracket race
Until I got whooped in a heads up against Tex Miller
Guess what I went to the fastest guy with a nova 350/255
B&B performance That cost me a bunch of $$. Car was not fast
Heads where ported I asked how’s this possible.
Well we push the rules we know this is good. Glen Briglio
Well after that I went to Bub. Asked him for a fast engine.
Bub said no porting. Needed we do it right
Bub said is gonna cost $$.
Guess what. It was fast and legal proven at tear down
Point being just beacaue you have good parts and professional engine builder. Don’t mean your gonna be fast.
I go to a professional to be legal and fast.

Like Barry pointed out. Different strokes for different folks
We all race to go fast … but we do it differently according to rules provided
$$$ and hard work is what it takes.
By the way Tilburg does my motor because I want the best
Like Barry. And you
James, I go to Brian also because of Integrity. I love to race and try to go as fast as I can. I've been torn down at Indy several times all the way back to the Paul Harvey ford days. Been apart at several other places too. Never been tossed. And anyone that has worked on my stuff knows I love to go to Indy and I don't want to have any trouble going through tear down.
And thank you it almost sounds like you gave me a compliment. We were there also when you bought Freds car and you know we would have helped you in any way we could. BP

Last edited by B Parker; 02-06-2022 at 01:15 AM.
B Parker is offline   Reply With Quote