Old 02-21-2009, 08:30 PM   #51
GarysZ24
VIP Member

Liked 197 Times in 78 Posts
Send a message via MSN to GarysZ24 Send a message via Yahoo to GarysZ24
Default Re: GM axes performance division

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn Blair View Post
That's exactly right Bart, people like to bitch and yet they most likely have a import in there immediate family. If you don't buy from the big three how will they survive. I know there is alot of BS that goes on in these companies, and i'm sure there is at the import companies as well,but the bottom line is if you don't buy the import throw away cars and buy american they might make it! Just my opinion. Proud owner of 2001 Dodge Ram Cummins, 2009 Challenger R/T 6-speed, & 1968 Dodge Dart
Shawn, I agree with you 100%! I'm the proud owner of a 2004 Chevy Colorado (tow vehicle), and a 1986 Chevy Cavalier Z24 (DF/S racer for the last 16yrs, and the last 12 with my Stock Eliminator rebuild!!!).

The race cars that got me well known in Colorado, and now Arizona include:

1976 Chevy Vega: 1977 King of the Hill HS Champion
5 bracket race victories from 6 final rounds at a former east Denver AHRA track
1979 Div. V Street Eliminator Semifinal

1973 Pontiac Ventura: 1981 Div. V Street Eliminator Champion
2nd place points finish at Bandimere Speedway 1981 (Street Eliminator)
1982 ET Finals Jackpot Winner
6th place points finish at Bandimere Speedway 1982 (Street Eliminator)

1985 Chevy Celebrity: 1990 High School Reunion Champion (at Bandimere Speedway)

1986 Chevy Cavalier Z24: 1998 & 1999 3rd rnd at Mopar Mile High Nationals
2002 King of the Track Winner, Pueblo Motorsports Park
2006 Quarter finals at Mopar Mile High Nationals
2007 LODRS quarter-finals at Div. VII race #2 Tucson, Az.
2007 Semi-finals @ Stock/Super Stock race @ Speedworld
2008 1/8 finals (4rnds) @ LODRS div VII race #1

Now hows that for American cars belittled by the car mags that paid grandly for me!!!
CF/S #5824 (#78 in 2021)
GarysZ24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 10:22 PM   #52
Ed Fernandez
Veteran Member

Liked 100 Times in 45 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1664SSJA View Post
Tax on booze and cigarettes should be upped ten times.
Quack,quack,quack,quack,etc,etc,etc,etc,etc,etc,et c................................................. ..
Former NHRA #1945
Former IHRA #1945
T/SA
Ed Fernandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 11:12 PM   #53
Michael Lyons

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Smile Re: GM axes performance division

S E Buchanen, how are you man?! Longtime no see. I hope you're doing good

The Probe's hangin in there. I need to update a couple things, not sure how many I'll actually get to but I'll be runnin her again this year.
Michael Lyons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 11:15 AM   #54
Todd

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger K Fain View Post
If the American manufacturers want Americans to purchase their vehicles from them, then they need to take the first step and close their assembly plants in Canada, Mexico, and Australia. Just a few of the vehicles assembled by American companies in other countries:
PT Cruiser..Mexico
Pontiac GTO..Australia
Ford EDGE..Ontario, Canada
Buick Lacross.. Canada
Chevrolet Camaro..Canada
" Equinox "
" Impala "
" Silverado "
" Sierra "
GMC Terrain "
There are many more examples from all of the BIG 3. If we are going to "bail" them out, then they need to spend our money in America.
Whoa down there! Like it or not this is a global economy. Likley 80% of the clothes you have on now while reading this are made in Asia or somewhere other than North America. The idea of having car plants in other countries is good for business. The trouble the domestic car companies arre having stem from more than any one specific source.
Just ask the new generation what they want to buy, likley they will tell you Honda,Toyota, Lexus,Mitsubishi,Mercedes. That thinking alone has taken its toll on the domestics.Alot of this thinking comes from the automotive media,they always seem to bash the domestics, even when they are the clear winner in some comparisons.The other part of that thinking is they want to be different than their parents who always had domestics.
Gas prices and insurance costs have not helped either.Try to insure a young male driver in a V8 Mustang or any of the same cars, you need to take out a new mortgage! I am from Canada, I do not work for any of the carmakers but in my business I do work in many of the plants. The quality of the work and the cleanliness of the plants is second to none!
Are there problems with upper management? I do not know for sure, I am not privy to that information. Do i think there is upper management problems? Yes there will be somewhere,any large corporation will have problems in management. All large companies have the "right hand not knowing what the left hand is doing" problems. But blaming where a vehicle is made or assembled is not the answer. Roger, I say this in the interest of good constructive converstaion, not as a personal attack OK.

Todd Melville
Melville Racing
1577 T/STK
1971 Boss 351 Mustang
Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 07:38 PM   #55
trmnatr

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Kennedy View Post
After they ended the GMPP and AC Delco sponsorships of drag racing last year I decided I will no longer be supporting GM in any way.

In our family we have 4 Chevys. Other than the minivan stocker project, we don't own anything but GM products.

I will never buy a new GM vehicle ever , or use a GM part on any of my vehicles unless I have no other options. Not even an AC Delco spark plug or oil filter.

If I can ever afford a new truck it will be Ford, or even possibly Toyota.

This is crazy comment

So you think they should have kept sponsoring and using more of yours and everybody elses tax dollars ? Come on man, talk real world

Racing is Secondary

Lift comes first, it is a life or death thing for GM

They had to borrow 9.4 billion in end of 2008 but spent 20 billion in motorsports ,,, hmmmmmmm.

Be real man
trmnatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 08:02 PM   #56
GUMP
VIP Member

Liked 1,749 Times in 424 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd View Post
Whoa down there! Like it or not this is a global economy. Likley 80% of the clothes you have on now while reading this are made in Asia or somewhere other than North America. The idea of having car plants in other countries is good for business.
Todd,

As someone who is involved in the "Global Economy" as it relates to textiles on a day to day basis I can tell you that it is one of the worst things that ever happened to "Main Street America". It is all about the bottom line. I for one would like to see real "Free Trade". What we have now is a joke. For the record, I was working full time in Canada when free trade killed the industry there in the early 1990's.

Daren
GUMP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 08:33 PM   #57
goinbroke2

Liked 179 Times in 64 Posts

A buddy of mine still wears his NAFTA t shirt that depicts an eagle screwing a beaver. Both Canadian and americans think they got the shaft.
I personally think the issue is the fact that every other country has a VAT (Value Added Tax) except the States and Canada on most products.
Example:

It cost $15,000 to build a car in north america and you sell it for $20,000 you make $5,000

In other countries though it only cost $10,000 to build, $1,000 to ship and sell for $15,000 making $4,000 and undercutting the very economy you ship to!

Here's what's worse, cost $15,000 to build in NA, $1,000 to ship to asia/europe and add 25% VAT = $20,000 which doesn't include any profit!! Remember they built for $10,000? That is one reason toyota shipped 1.3 million veh to the US last year and combined the domestic's sold around 400 vehicles in Japan!

Free market is great, however it's not a free market when other countries have "taxes" put on your goods and you don't on theirs.
Immediately, Canada and the US should put a VAT on products which brings the price of a product shipped into the country up to par with what it would cost to produce said product here. THEN it would be a pair of cars/pens/shirts for the same price and people would choose what they wanted. Would YOU choose a shirt from thailand with their quality/durability/materials if it cost the same as one made here?? I certainly wouldn't.
(As an aside, there is a 25% tariff on trucks imported to the US, that's why toyota built the truck plant in texas where they ASSEMBLE trucks not BUILD them)
goinbroke2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 08:43 AM   #58
GUMP
VIP Member

Liked 1,749 Times in 424 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by goinbroke2 View Post
Immediately, Canada and the US should put a VAT on products which brings the price of a product shipped into the country up to par with what it would cost to produce said product here.
A VAT generally applies to all products sold the same as sales tax. In most countries that have a VAT it is added into the sticker price.

Quote:
THEN it would be a pair of cars/pens/shirts for the same price and people would choose what they wanted.
In regards to textiles, the imported stuff has been selling for the same price as domestic stuff for years and the public really doesn't seem to care where it comes from. Wonder where the extra profit on that overseas stuff goes?

Quote:
Would YOU choose a shirt from thailand with their quality/durability/materials if it cost the same as one made here?? I certainly wouldn't.
You probably do it every day and don't even realize it!

The problem with this whole auto industry deal is simple. Nobody is buying cars. Why not? Because they don't have jobs. Why don't they have jobs? Because we have allowed our manufacturing jobs to go overseas. Look around at who actually buys American made cars. It's not the bankers or politicians for the most part. It has traditionally been the same kind of people who support NASCAR and the NHRA. What is happening there these days? Kill NAFTA and CAFTA and prosperity will come back to the USA. Instead it looks like I am fixing to get a 5% tax hike!
GUMP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 10:07 AM   #59
buzzinhalfdozen

Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1664SSJA View Post
Tax on booze and cigarettes should be upped ten times.
Wow!!!!! and while we're at it lets double the tax on everyones second home, RV, Boat, Snowmobile,ect. Hey while we're at it lets really tax those idiots into the extreme sports that I'm sure land in the hospital quite often most likely with no insurance, we can go on and on. Yes I smoke and yes I drink and yes I pay alot of tax on these,not sure why some people jump on tobacco and alcohol as being this terrible evil that is such a burden to society. Did you watch Dragracing or Nascar when the Tobacco companies were footing the bill? Maybe everyone who watched should pay in to the tobacco settlements or we should tell Bud, Miller and all the rest ...No take your money and go away motorsports don't need your money. Hate it or like it Cigs and Booze are probably here to stay..at least for the near future. Please be careful what you wish for you may just get it...Joe More taxes is not the answer...less spending is!