HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 06-20-2013, 01:59 PM   #31
Bill Edgeworth

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Fuel system

Interesting comments. For years I ran just the cheap Holly 110 pump on a low 11 second Qjet stocker. I recently decided to throw a Magnafuel 300 pump in it. I left in the Aeromotive regulator and started to have a problem the odd time with the carb overflowing when turning the pump on. Good thing about having a data recorder is it allows you to sometime easily figure out what’s going on. Recording what was happening when I turned on the fuel pump showed that the carb was seeing a huge hydraulic impact that the regulator could not deal with as it was downstream from it. Solution was to pulse the pump at start up.
Bigger isn’t always better
Old 12-27-2013, 04:21 PM   #32
brent flynn

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Chances are, a Mallory Comp 140 and The Volumax Holley Reg, #8 lines, front to back, with low restriction filter(after the pump), and #8 line from 8gallon fuel cell, would feed my E/SA 400 Pontiac? Im trying to decide what to do, for a pump , to get started...Or just spend 60.00 more and get a Magna Fuel Quickstar 275, and be done with it? Thoughts are appreciated...
Old 12-27-2013, 05:40 PM   #33
Jim Kaekel
VIP Member

Liked 498 Times in 104 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by brent flynn View Post
Chances are, a Mallory Comp 140 and The Volumax Holley Reg, #8 lines, front to back, with low restriction filter(after the pump), and #8 line from 8gallon fuel cell, would feed my E/SA 400 Pontiac? Im trying to decide what to do, for a pump , to get started...Or just spend 60.00 more and get a Magna Fuel Quickstar 275, and be done with it? Thoughts are appreciated...
Brent: I would check the system that you currently have first. The system you have is very similar to what I had years ago and it wasn't bad. I think it's a good idea to do a fuel volume test to see how good your system is. If you can pump a gallon in 30 seconds or so, that's pretty good. Just unhook the fuel line from the carb (so the fuel does go thru the regulator). Scrutinize every single fitting, line and filter that the fuel passes thru by measuring the I.D. of each. Different types and brands of regulators, in particular, can be very restrictive. Like previously stated, Q-Jets require a very good fuel system due to the fact a single needle and seat and single fuel bowl.
Old 12-27-2013, 07:35 PM   #34
brent flynn

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Jim, since ive been running brackets all these years, i have 2 pumps into a Y, from the cell , with #8 line goin up front to a Holley Vmax reg, no sharp 90* angles , all fittings are smooth bends... i just need to install 1 pump to be Stock legal... as far as fuel system goes. Engine is almost done...
Old 12-28-2013, 10:19 AM   #35
HP HUNTER

Liked 276 Times in 109 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe DeMarzo View Post
After changing 2 fuel regualtors I discovered my fuel pump decided to go out of town while I was racing at Lebanon Valley this weekend. I had too much fuel pressure from the pump.

I plan on buying new pump, regulator and what ever is trick. I am looking for insights on what is best system for a Chevy II, 350/200 stock eliminator car.

Open to all suggestion before I make my decsion.

Thanks for the insights.
I run a upright fuel cell, mounted high, # 12 exits the rear of my cell to Magnafuel pump behind and below the cell, # 10 line forward 28 PSI, to my cool can then to my Magnafuel regulator mounted in front of my engine, 4 PSI to the carb. My return from the pump inters the cell from the top and has a hose thats brings the fuel to to bottom of the cell. # 10 vent on the top of the cell. My car at 3720 on a 9 inch tire, two step moves extremely hard in the first 330 feet given the conditions, I feel this fuel system has something to do with this, my A/F ratio is maintained easier. My pump is run off a relay.

Last edited by HP HUNTER; 12-28-2013 at 10:22 AM.
HP HUNTER is offline   Reply With Quote