HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > .90 Heads Up Class Racing
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 04-14-2009, 09:29 PM   #21
Jason Oldfield

Liked 10 Times in 4 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Jason Oldfield Send a message via MSN to Jason Oldfield Send a message via Yahoo to Jason Oldfield
Default Re: NHRA price hike

Um, no. I'll choose to take my BUSINESS elsewhere! This is not a private country club, even though they do treat it like one.

Besides, I hate fishing, and my golf swing sucks...
Old 04-15-2009, 06:33 AM   #22
Mark Schmidt

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I spent over 35 years spending what I could to go racing. Upgrading my stuff, moving to Div and Nat events and totally enjoyed it. Loved the people I raced with and overall enjoyed the change to NHRA races. With the downturn in economy, we decided to cut back a bunch and only go to a couple of races. I wound up selling my car, and I have to say with all the crap going on during tough times, if I get back in it will be with a fast dragster for 1/8 mile racing. The big races have lost their luster for me. Our divisional guys (3) rock, but it's hard to justify vac time for racing this year. NHRA needs to justify the expense to its CUSTOMERS. Aren't we called MEMBERS. They could at least provide a forum for discussion. Low class in my opinion.

Just my .02 cents...thanks for listening.
Old 04-15-2009, 06:34 AM   #23
1855sc

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts

Bryan, you are right this is is rich man's sport, however this doesnt just affect the "regular" NHRA sportsman. This also affects the local bracket racer who quite frankly can care less about running a National or Divisional but still has to pony up the extra $$$ just to race 1 day a week if he goes fast enough. fair to them???

Debbie Moses
1855sc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 10:46 AM   #24
Rick Bailey

Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
Unhappy Re: NHRA price hike

It must be the business trends.................look at the Credit card companys........the recived bailout monies (taxpayers money) and now their doubleing the intrest rates
Old 04-15-2009, 12:42 PM   #25
BIZMANRACING

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

i have been reading this forum for years. in the begining i used to post offen because i was going to be a divisonal followed by a national event racer in super street. it had been a dream of mine since i saw my first national event in atlanta back in the 80's. at that event warren johnson was the top quaifier at 7.11 in pro stock. but the money wasn't there. i was a submarine sailor down in kings bay georiga and it was everything i could do to support my family while working for the Navy. but, i knew it would not last forever. the fire burned inside of me, then one day i retired from the navy after 20 years (95) and said good-bye to my naval electronics job and took up life as a car saleman.

13 years later here i am. i managed to attend 4 divisonal events in divison one. delaware, englishtown, atco, and cecil county. i should of been a sititng duck but managed to get into the second round at all the events. then i crashed my car by blowing out the front tires after some heavy braking at atco. i was done. but, the idea of finally quailifing for the national at englishtown made me work hard to get the car back on track. but, little did i know that in those days super street closed at 4 mins after mid-night since it closed that fast because divsion 1 has alot of money in this area, and without a grade point of 7 i had no chance. i was pissed, but that was racing. i've been tiring to get back ever since.

today the car runs 9.460 and i'm ready to go, but i cracked the block over the winter. $4200 right up a hogs *** just to get it running again. i'm still waiting to get my engine back. now all this. i was moved by the post by the guy who i.d'ed himself as a "no body" it was his first post. after reading it i decided to put mine in here since i read it everyday but never post since i don't feel contected since i only bracket race.

my times at the divsionals were the most fun i every had. winning the round helped, but it was the people who took me in as one of them. they gave me beer and food and knew my name. i couldn't get enough of it. i looked into a motor home, bigger motors, all of it. but, i got to be real here i could pay this but maybe the people aren't the same, 4 dollars a gallon for an 11 mile per gallon suburan is real and right around the cornor again. i've been there and done that. if it hadn't been for this forum i'm sure i would of paid the money and tried again. but, reading your posts your all so angry. this sport is made up of rich people. lets not fool ourselfs. we all got money and maybe to much of it. we are pissed because we don't want to give it up for no return. everything is based on value. thats all that we really want. my 79 camaro cost me in 79 probally around 8000. i got more than that in the motor like all of you. so now you want twice the money. where is my return. sometimes i sell a car warranty for customers new toyota for 1000. its a good bye and i believe in it and have warranties on my own cars both my wife and daughter. but, if i can't convince the customer that its a "good value" and that its "money spent wisely" it ain't happening.

so in closing, some will pay others will not. the fall out is yet to be seen. they will make a business decsion at that time. but, i for one will not race in that forum if most of my friends are not happy with the outcome. there is no shame in bracket racing.

Carlos Mendes
BIZMANRACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 01:58 PM   #26
Jason Oldfield

Liked 10 Times in 4 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Jason Oldfield Send a message via MSN to Jason Oldfield Send a message via Yahoo to Jason Oldfield

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Bailey View Post
It must be the business trends.................look at the Credit card companys........the recived bailout monies (taxpayers money) and now their doubleing the intrest rates
Don't forget about giving their executives raises and bonuses. NHRA must have missed the memo on that one...
Old 04-15-2009, 08:22 PM   #27
Roo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Sooner or later someone will realize that Sportsman racers arent rich, but only the rich can afford to sportsman race.

I included that in my email to the Div 5 Director. I think it sums up the dwindling car counts. Too bad many of the poorer guys (like me) are being priced out of our beloved sport. I hope you richer guys never have to feel this way.
Roo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 05:53 AM   #28
Bryan Gillespie
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Roo drag racing has all kinds of different classes.
Pro for the (rich)
Sportsman racing @ Nat. & Div. level (rich & uppermid)
Bracket racing all the way down to high school level ( all mixed )
You have to race at a level that fits your wallet.
There are alot (most) that can't even afford to pay their monthly bills in this economy let alone go racing.
So to hear people *itch about extra money to race is crazy. you all should look around and be happy that
your home is not in forcloser, car repoed , are even food on the table.
So if you can't afford to race then don't and if you can you are lucky in life.

NUFF SAID !
Bryan Gillespie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 09:04 AM   #29
Roo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I completely understand your comments.

My concern is that everyone must race according to their wallets, but many people's wallet is shrinking. It's shrinking for a multitude of reasons, one of which is the 100% price increase in many of the fees racers are subject to.

Now, this amount may be trivial for you, but it happens to be my personal breaking point. This is what it takes for me to stop racing, next time costs increase, it may be your breaking point.

It sure seems to me that more and more people have reached their own breaking points judging by car counts, and participation at all races. I suspect the median age of sportsman racers involved with the NHRA is increasing steadily, which is a disturbing trend if the sport and NHRA wish to sustain themselves.

NHRA doesnt offer you a tangible product for these increases. A chassis cert? The costs have not doubled, so why should the price? Its really just another of their blatant money grabs, and its sole purpose is to sustain itself at current levels. What they need to understand is that their member must also sustain themselves in their own lives, and if that means someone can no longer compete , then its really the NHRA's loss, and aren't you a member?

As a matter of discussion, those that wish to continue racing, should be the loudest opposition of the new fees, because when people cease supporting your sanctioning body, the results are going to drive up the cost for you. So, if you want to hurt your pocketbook, now and in the future, just pay the fees, keep quiet, and keep racing

Im thankful for all I have, and rich is a relative term. Today Im not rich enough to continue racing, tomorrow it may be you.

'nuff said??
Roo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 03:54 PM   #30
sg5492

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Roo I think you hit it on the head in your last post.
sg5492 is offline   Reply With Quote