HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 07-02-2010, 10:25 AM   #21
Michael Beard
VIP Member

Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
Default Re: Why Aren't You Racing?

Wow. Maybe I'm not too good at math, but I'm seeing a lot of self-inflicted issues here. There have been at least two posts on this thread already noting that it costs $500 or $600 min. to go to a Divisional race.

A few weeks ago, I went to Richmond for a double-header Pro-Am/Sportsman National. Pickup and open trailer, round trip fuel, $100. Test n' tune $30. Pro-Am: $135 Sportsman Nat'ls: $150 2 nights hotel: $75 (and that was a really nice place... split cost, thanks to Mike Bolton) Total: $490 to run TWO races *and* a Test n' Tune. And that's a lot for me. Last year, I left the house early Saturday AM, and I stayed overnight at the track. Total cost for 2 races: $385 (less than $200/race)

Couple weeks ago, South Georgia Motorsports Park. Ran TWO Southern S/SS Association Races and TWO of Scotty Richardson's BottomBulb Series races. Fuel: $200. Hotel: $80 Entry Fees: $180 total Total Expenses: $460 That's an average of $115 per race.

Last week, Dunn-Benson Pro-Am. Left the house, ran the race, and came home all in the same day. Total cost: $160.

On another thread somewhere, I compared travel time and costs for a racer from middle Tennessee could run for an NHRA Divisional championship vs running for an IHRA Divisional AND World Championship.... the time (including time off work) and mileage to do the latter was nearly HALF.

As Beaver Bob says, "Put a pencil to it." I've personally had an amazing year, and I count my blessings, but I didn't get to where I am because I have a toterhome and stacker with my flavor of the week selection of a CJ or DP, or even a Super Stocker of any kind. I still tow an open trailer (that I won in a shootout race when I was a kid) with a 1500 Ram 4.7L (that I just paid off), and race a car that is paid off. (H*ll, if a guy hadn't pulled out in front of me years ago, I'd probably still be towing with my '89 Ramcharger... R.I.P.) I run races that make sense for me (see above paragraph), and when I do have to stay in a hotel, I try to split a room with somebody. For years, my season-long lodging costs have run around $700/year. How many motorhome payments is that? (and that's not touching on the massively increased fuel costs, etc.) I can run 55+ races a year for more than 15 years on what some guys have in their racing operations, and I'll still be racing when the big rigs are parked. I got a new EZ-Up and two new folding chairs this year. As the Legend told me, "Boy, ya can't hide money, can ya?"

So the question is, how bad do you want to go racing? If you make up your mind that you really want it, you can do it. Wade is dead-on. We are a proud bunch, but you *can* do it for half the cost if you really want to.
Old 07-02-2010, 10:29 AM   #22
Mike Carr
VIP Member

Liked 80 Times in 34 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Mike Carr Send a message via MSN to Mike Carr Send a message via Yahoo to Mike Carr

Quote:
Originally Posted by deuces wild View Post
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

I have made 3 IHRA doubles this year so 6 races in all. Never been to that many. Plan on attending the double in Crandall in Sept so that will make 8. When we went down to State Capitol in May it cost me a *(&&() fortune. I don't know how you guys do it running races all over the place. Ed
The IHRA Doubles, while it's nice that youi can get two races for one trip, makes for an expensive weekend. A Double Race weekend is $350, just in crew/entry fees. If I had done the double at MIR this year, with motels, gas, tolls, etc, it would have been nearly a thousand dollars for one weekend.

A trip to Atco or E-town would be about $100 round trip just in tolls, too.

And, to answer the original question, I haven't raced since November 2006, because I'm not happy with the way racing is, and is going, and decided the effort, time and money wasn't worth it. I never thought I would see the day when I would lose the enthusiasm for racing, but it happened.

Last edited by Mike Carr; 07-02-2010 at 10:37 AM.
Mike Carr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 10:33 AM   #23
X-TECH MAN
Banned

Liked 235 Times in 110 Posts
Thumbs down Re: Why Aren't You Racing?

Maybe we all should move in next door to Mr. Beard to cut back on the tolls and travel.....lol. Racing up north and especially around NJ and New "Yack" can get pretty pricey just in tolls when towing a trailer. Been there and done that.
X-TECH MAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 10:43 AM   #24
Michael Beard
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kegracing View Post
do not make it so complicated to get paid. I would rather have 3 pay easy and quick at $100 than have to fight with one for $300???

Lastly... it is hot! Please drink a lot of Gatorade! If you have not tried it, go buy some of the "G2" Gatorade. Less sugar, no HFCS and lighter - crisper taste! (guess what I make for a living!)
Re: Contingency... I really haven't had any problems, and have had numerous claims over the years.

Re: G2. Yup, dead-on. Thanks for your good work! I've been supporting your economy! LOL (Think I got Fisher turned onto it the other year, too.) Good stuff.
Old 07-02-2010, 10:58 AM   #25
Michael Beard
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Carr View Post
The IHRA Doubles, while it's nice that youi can get two races for one trip, makes for an expensive weekend. A Double Race weekend is $350, just in crew/entry fees. If I had done the double at MIR this year, with motels, gas, tolls, etc, it would have been nearly a thousand dollars for one weekend.
I call BS on this one. As your math teacher used to say, "Please show your work." I'm pretty sure it ain't $300 in tolls on that trip.
Old 07-02-2010, 11:00 AM   #26
Mike Gray

Liked 525 Times in 138 Posts

All the above. Been here on the forum a while although I don't post much. Probably because I don't have a class car (yet). I sold my super-gas car about 4 years ago and started on a Shelby stocker. (Not the cheapest car to build, LOL)
Being self employeed I've seen my income drop over 60% the past couple of years. Car building is on hold until the economy comes back.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1276822032.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	100.4 KB
ID:	3896  
Mike Gray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 11:34 AM   #27
Robert Simpson

Liked 20 Times in 12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Beard View Post
Wow. Maybe I'm not too good at math, but I'm seeing a lot of self-inflicted issues here. There have been at least two posts on this thread already noting that it costs $500 or $600 min. to go to a Divisional race.

A few weeks ago, I went to Richmond for a double-header Pro-Am/Sportsman National. Pickup and open trailer, round trip fuel, $100. Test n' tune $30. Pro-Am: $135 Sportsman Nat'ls: $150 2 nights hotel: $75 (and that was a really nice place... split cost, thanks to Mike Bolton) Total: $490 to run TWO races *and* a Test n' Tune. And that's a lot for me. Last year, I left the house early Saturday AM, and I stayed overnight at the track. Total cost for 2 races: $385 (less than $200/race)

Couple weeks ago, South Georgia Motorsports Park. Ran TWO Southern S/SS Association Races and TWO of Scotty Richardson's BottomBulb Series races. Fuel: $200. Hotel: $80 Entry Fees: $180 total Total Expenses: $460 That's an average of $115 per race.

Last week, Dunn-Benson Pro-Am. Left the house, ran the race, and came home all in the same day. Total cost: $160.

On another thread somewhere, I compared travel time and costs for a racer from middle Tennessee could run for an NHRA Divisional championship vs running for an IHRA Divisional AND World Championship.... the time (including time off work) and mileage to do the latter was nearly HALF.

As Beaver Bob says, "Put a pencil to it." I've personally had an amazing year, and I count my blessings, but I didn't get to where I am because I have a toterhome and stacker with my flavor of the week selection of a CJ or DP, or even a Super Stocker of any kind. I still tow an open trailer (that I won in a shootout race when I was a kid) with a 1500 Ram 4.7L (that I just paid off), and race a car that is paid off. (H*ll, if a guy hadn't pulled out in front of me years ago, I'd probably still be towing with my '89 Ramcharger... R.I.P.) I run races that make sense for me (see above paragraph), and when I do have to stay in a hotel, I try to split a room with somebody. For years, my season-long lodging costs have run around $700/year. How many motorhome payments is that? (and that's not touching on the massively increased fuel costs, etc.) I can run 55+ races a year for more than 15 years on what some guys have in their racing operations, and I'll still be racing when the big rigs are parked. I got a new EZ-Up and two new folding chairs this year. As the Legend told me, "Boy, ya can't hide money, can ya?"

So the question is, how bad do you want to go racing? If you make up your mind that you really want it, you can do it. Wade is dead-on. We are a proud bunch, but you *can* do it for half the cost if you really want to.
Michael you are absolutely correct. As my father says "How bad do you want it?" I have a open trailer (paid for), just bought a used truck (low mileage, low price). While some things are nice allot are not nec. to go racing. The only thing about where I live it the 2+ hr tow to go to any track. But, other than that at least there are some tracks!! Good luck and keep up the good work. Robert
Robert Simpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 11:45 AM   #28
Ed Carpenter
Live Reporter

Liked 509 Times in 128 Posts

Michael I race on a budget trust me I mean budget. I work the State of Texas. I'm not doubting your numbers. here is what it cost me to race at Baton Rouge in May at the double. My wife looked at all the receipts. She wasn't amused at all!!LOL

Entry fee 135.00X2=270.00
Crew 40.00
Hotel bill 109.00
race gas 50.00
fuel for truck roundtrip 324.00 ouch 445 miles each way
food misc 75.00

Not complaining just stating my costs. I had never went that far before to a race. probably won't anytime soon because of the costs. We normally stick closer to home Houston, Dallas, San Antonio, Crandall, Lufkin, etc.
Ed Carpenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 11:46 AM   #29
Mike Meier

Liked 40 Times in 8 Posts

Quote:
I call BS on this one. As your math teacher used to say, "Please show your work." I'm pretty sure it ain't $300 in tolls on that trip.
Buff Daddy said a few lines down: "A trip to Atco or E-town would be about $100 round trip just in tolls, too."

So onto my excuse:

I share his sentiment. I felt I was personally mistreated at a race, NHRA (management) did nothing to rectify the situation, so I told them they are not going to get another dime of my money until they either apologize or at least there is a change in management.

I haven't been down a track in 9 months, never renewed my membership / competition numbers, and I am not missing it one bit.

If it weren't for the fact that I own a stocker and enclosed trailer, I'd at least be out of the class racing business (not racing all together, but at least this level). That's the big downside to all of this, I am making payments on equipment that is sitting there not being used. Hell, I had some guy come up to me at a gas station and offer me $2,000 for my Suburban. I had to say "no" because what am I gonna do, go out and put a downpayment on ANOTHER big truck? No way.

I keep saying that I am going to race IHRA one of these days, but in reality the nearest race is a little over 4 hours away. To get there on-time and not be rushed I am going to have to take time off from work, no doubt about it.

It's really a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation.
Old 07-02-2010, 12:10 PM   #30
Mike Carr
VIP Member

Liked 80 Times in 34 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Mike Carr Send a message via MSN to Mike Carr Send a message via Yahoo to Mike Carr

Quote:
Never said there were $300 in tolls.

MIR Double Pro-Am weekend projected costs:

-Entry: $135 x 2 races = $270.
-Crew: Two people @ $40 per person = $80.
-Motel: Two nights @ approximately $100 each = $200 I could cut the Friday night room out of the budget, and either leave home around midnight Saturday morning and drive pretty much all night to be there by 8 am, or try and sleep three in our dually somewhere in a rest area. Not ideal or comfortable, but doable.
-Gas: Haven't done the actual math. I know it would involve at least three fill-ups (one at home, once during the weekend, once on the way home). Thirty gallon tank. 30 gallons x three fill-ups (90 gallons) @ $2.79 per gallon = $251.10

Total so far: $801.10. Or, $701.10 with one good nights sleep.

Tolls, I am not sure of the exact figure. I know PA Tolls have gone up twice in the past few years. I have at least $5 in tolls before I get to the Turnpike (Toll Route 60, future I-376, that takes you to exit 1A/Exit 10 on the PA Turnpike). I went to Quarter Aces a few weeks ago, but neglected to check the toll amounts. Dad did say that towing, all the way across PA, would be nearly fifty dollars I would bet good money that tolls, between Turnpike and Rt 60 are AT LEAST $50, round trip [from Breezewood PA to Exit 1A back home], plus whatever the toll for the bridge is that we cross in MD/VA (I forget what the toll, and the bridge is--haven't been there since 2004). So we're up to at least $850, not counting food and any extra stuff we might want to buy on our trip (t-shirts, souvenirs, gift shops, etc). We can cook at the track and save some money, but you still need to buy the food at home to take with you, plus breakfast at the track isn't feasible.

So. all told, the budget for the weekend would be about $900, provided there are not any surprise expenses. Or, at least $800 if you only sleep one night in a hotel. Still not a cheap weekend, no matter what way you look at it.
Mike Carr is offline   Reply With Quote