HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 05-10-2007, 08:32 AM   #21
Paul Merolla

Liked 234 Times in 59 Posts

First off, this is turning into a great thread - I can't get enough of those stories from when these cars were new. Travis - the so-called experts may overlook the L79s, but 5 minutes on ebay will show you the silly money that goes along with not only a real L79 car, but also any engine parts that are legit original. Jim S and Jim P - either of you guys going to the Mile-Highs?

Paul Merolla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 04:12 PM   #22
Jim Parsons

Liked 190 Times in 27 Posts

Paul,
No on the mile Highs, actually not going to do much racing this year, it's kinda lost some of the fun factor plus got a new job.
I still have a std. bore L-79 short block assembly, it might end up being my retirement savings the way it's going.
Hows the car coming?

I never saw a race car that didn't leak something Dan Gurney

Jim Parsons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 12:25 AM   #23
Geerhead55
VIP Member

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts

Jim,,,,, The boys car, (the one you met at Byron) is on the back burner for now as he's busy testing and trying to get his firefighting/emt career going. Its tough when there are over 500 applicants competeing for the few openings. Sorry to hear your racing has to cut back a little, but we all do what we have to do. Good luck with the new job, you can always race another day.
Paul,,, I agree this is a great thread growing here. In the early 70's there 6 of us here in the old hometown (Tacoma, Wash,) with 66 novas. 2 were original L-79s, non SS bench seat cars that went easy 13s with headers, traction bars, 4:11s and a good tune up. My car was a black on black SS 275 horse/glide car. By 74 we were hooked on cars like Jim's
( Harmon and Parson's SS/O) 66, so I went out did all the typical bracket bomber stuff of the day, 10 1/2 in. tires, 331 with a bottom of the page Crower solid lifter cam, 461x heads, Victor intake with a 780 Holley, a Super T-10 (2:54 with G,E.R crash box kit), 5:57 12 bolt with Lakewood bars. It would carry the front wheels in 1st and a little in 2nd and went a best of 11.01 back in the day. Boy, do I miss that car,, I guess we all have one we wish we could have back. That one is mine.
I do appreciate Bob Rice posting a picture of that car, and some of Jim's and others on his photo album pages a few weeks back. it was great to see them again. Danny Durham
Geerhead55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 07:29 AM   #24
Paul Merolla

Jim - Sorry to hear about the racing losing it's fun factor...that's my fear - I'll finally get the car together and all the guys I wanted to race with will be fed up with it! I'm hoping to have the car ready for paint in a couple of months...haven't touched it for a year or so, but finally got some ducks in a row. Don't know about retirement fund, but the last L79 short block I saw on ebay went for $3800!!! Great stuff by the way, Danny! Wish I had been born a little earlier...I came into the world the year all the muscle cars got castrated (72)!

Old 05-11-2007, 11:34 PM   #25
Bruce Fulper

Liked 54 Times in 33 Posts

Don't give up Paul. There's more fun to be had.

I miss step.
Bruce Fulper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2007, 09:50 AM   #26
Paul Merolla

Bruce - maybe we can plan it out so you make your comeback and I make my debut at the same race....
I can see it now....by then, S/SS will be combined into one eliminator - Super Pro. $500 entry, $500 user fee, $2000 oildown, delay boxes, and mufflers.

Old 05-13-2007, 12:05 PM   #27
Bruce Fulper

Liked 54 Times in 33 Posts

yeeeew.....

I miss step.
Bruce Fulper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 11:42 PM   #28
ss wannabee

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts

I believe Dave Casey in Div. 1 tried this combo briefly when he had his Nova awhile back. Must have been in the '80's.....Not sure how he made out, but I think I remember C/S on the car?

ss wannabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 08:26 AM   #29
Dwight Southerland
VIP Member

Liked 731 Times in 180 Posts

The issues to consider about this engine combination:

1) There really is no compression advantage over the 275hp engine when both are blueprinted.
2) The heads do not flow significantly better with the big valves (2.02 & 1.60) over the small valves (1.94 & 1.50).
3) The original intake and small Holley carb do not flow any better than the Qjet setup.
4) With the current camshaft rule, there is not that much to be gained with the camshaft lift and stock heads.

It does offer some advantages over the 275hp engine, but not a huge amount.

MHO backed up by some observed data.

Old 05-22-2007, 09:59 AM   #30
John Kelley

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

I want to see Dedman build one of these !! :-)

John Kelley is offline   Reply With Quote