Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 07-13-2010, 01:12 PM   #21
PONTIAC'S REVENGE

Liked 49 Times in 19 Posts
Default Re: Looks like NHRA had a bad week-end

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-TECH MAN View Post
Maybe if enough fuel and alcohol cars get crashed there wont be enough left to oil down the tracks and the Pro Stock class will be the new "super Stars" of NHRA and the sportsman racers will be able to take up the slack for a show for the fans. I have my fingers crossed !
Wow,
No enthusiasts want to see a car crash or anyone in their right mind. But I lived in Indy all my life and most every time there's a death or bad crash at the INDY 500 that corner or spot is sold out the next year ahead of all the other tickets. That sickens me!

I don't think x-techman was condoning wrecks to happen, just if these tracks are allowed to "economize" with track preparation its inevitable for crashes to occur. Historically something really bad has to happen inorder for change to occur. The unfortunate death of Scott Kallita is an example of changing the distance in the fuel cars.

This isn't a wish or a witchhunt boys and girls, it's a hard look at reality and somebody better do something or it will be a prophecy! Ive been to some of these so called prepared tracks and they are AWFUL The Pro Stockers are smart to leave, we can't want to race so bad that we take these chances.

God, help us all help each other race safe

Stacy
PONTIAC'S REVENGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 06:21 PM   #22
cicero819
VIP Member

Liked 68 Times in 29 Posts

I think Billy Nees said it all, I find it funny how some people use words to discredit a statement that is not in accordance with their sentiments. I understood exactly what he meant in his quote, they're wasn't anything said wishing anyone any ill faith. The man was expressing his opinion, knowing that some, might use his words against him. It's call free speech not political correctness. Claude Ruel
cicero819 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 09:09 PM   #23
Mike Brogniez

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Safety has to be a shared responsibility by sanctioning bodies, track operators and racers.
MB
Mike Brogniez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 01:40 PM   #24
Mike Taylor 3601
VIP Member

Liked 116 Times in 48 Posts

To some of you that does'nt know Terry Bell ,X Tech man,when it comes to knowledge of stock and super stock rules & tech he is(was) among the best. NHRA or IHRA would be lucky to have come out of retirement. I knew what he meant in his post. I have never got to meet Terry in person just know him from here and a phone conversation,he has always been straight shooter from what I've seen,and been told he would treat you fair when he was tech man.I hope to meet Terry in person one day, I'm sure we could talk for hours about stock& super stock past & present.

Mike Taylor 3601
Mike Taylor 3601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 03:46 PM   #25
Bobby Zlatkin

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I agree with what Mike Taylor said.
Old 07-14-2010, 06:30 PM   #26
Colesy

Liked 437 Times in 169 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Taylor 3601 View Post
To some of you that does'nt know Terry Bell ,X Tech man,when it comes to knowledge of stock and super stock rules & tech he is(was) among the best. NHRA or IHRA would be lucky to have come out of retirement. I knew what he meant in his post. I have never got to meet Terry in person just know him from here and a phone conversation,he has always been straight shooter from what I've seen,and been told he would treat you fair when he was tech man.I hope to meet Terry in person one day, I'm sure we could talk for hours about stock& super stock past & present.

Mike Taylor 3601
Agreed!!
We started a Junior Stock thread over at the H.A.M.B. a few years back hoping to find a few racers and fans from back in "the day" who would share their memories from a time period when the Stock class was at it's best. Terry's contributions and knowledge of the class have been simply amazing and a real benefit to the longevity of the thread. We've all learned so much from guys like Terry who were actually part of the sport back then. Yes, he is direct, to the point and tells it like it is or in our case, the way it was. Over at the Junior Stock thread, we wouldn't want it any other way. If you're looking for the real history of the sport or the way to make the current state of Sportsman racing a whole lot better, you just may want to consult guys like Terry (XTech Man). You may not like the answers you get, or the responses may make you feel a little uneasy but I'll guarantee he speaks from the heart. Old timers who have lived the sport and love it have a tendency of doing that. We need a whole lot more like Terry to step up to the plate and voice their opinions on the direction that Sportman Drag Racing needs to take if we all want it to stick around in the future. Here's the link to our thread. Share your memories. Thanks Terry from the gang over at.........
http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/s...t=junior+stock
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	zzzzzzzzgg1-vi.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	81.9 KB
ID:	4031  

Last edited by Colesy; 07-14-2010 at 07:37 PM.
Colesy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 06:50 PM   #27
njk53

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKSG1198 View Post
Is it me or did it look like the Catch Net was wound tighter then a rubber band? I was at Maple Grove all weekend and didn't hear about it till I got home from a friend who works on a A/Fuel Team. When I finally got a chance to watch the video yesterday I was like wow he was going about 100mph and didn't look that bad (But I think we all said that about Earnhardt's Death also). Too me it just seems like they are using the same technology they used in 1970-80 to stop cars. Back then cars had no give and stayed in 1 piece when they went through a net but, now cars are going 100mph faster and they are made to break apart to release some of the energy in a crash. Someone needs to step up and find a new solutions to stopping cars before someone else dies. I mean in a little more then 2 1/4 years there has been 4 deaths at NHRA Drag Races (3 from top-end failures and 1 spectator). I mean the only time people come up too talk to me at work who know I drag race and have never watched a dragrace but all I hear is "Hey I heard another guy died at the dragstrip"....It's like seriously that's not what racing is all about!!!
Dale Earnhardt was his own worst enemy when it came to safety. He was repeatedly warned by Bill Simpson for wearing his seat belt and shoulder harness loose and if my memory serves me, his belts were incorrectly installed.

This is part of what I think the X-Tech Man was getting at. You have to remember we are engaged in a sport that is inherently dangerous. It is up to the individual team and driver to check and recheck the safety of their car and components. If the NHRA is going to sanction races in which cars reach speeds as Top Fuel, Funny Car, TAD, TAFC, or any other class for that matter do, it is the burden of the NHRA and the Track Owner to make the track safe to run on and be able to stop with a margin of safety... period!!! If the track appears to be considered unsafe by the individual, they should tell the NHRA so and not run. Accidents occur when one side, the other, or both get sloppy with their safety practices.
Old 07-14-2010, 09:23 PM   #28
SS Engine Guy

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Terry Bell is one of the best and would be an asset to any sanctioning body as the Head of Technical Operations. Also he has actually raced and built some cars over the years himself which that, in itself, means alot.
SS Engine Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 07:02 AM   #29
X-TECH MAN
Banned

Liked 235 Times in 110 Posts
Smile Re: Looks like NHRA had a bad week-end

Thank you for the very kind words......I dont think I really deserve all of that recognition but I still thank you. I just did my job for the love of the sport. Im upset that some misunderstood what I typed. Im not all that good at expressing myself in print.
I just think the powers in charge should slow these cars down with rule changes (Fuel AND alcohol.....maybe Pro Stock also) and all of the tracks should improve the upkeep and safety of the race tracks. I know its a tough economy but the alternitive isnt very pretty. If something isnt done Im afraid more cars will be crashed, drivers hurt, or worse. I remember in the 1990's IHRA didnt allow the screw blower and some other rules that NHRA has and I dont recall ANY of the IHRA regulars running alcohl funny cars ever having a problem getting stopped. Me personally I would NOT drive a fuel car today if H#ll froze over if someone were to offer the chance. They have gotten insane.
Thank you again
Terry.

Last edited by X-TECH MAN; 07-15-2010 at 07:04 AM.
X-TECH MAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 01:30 PM   #30
Chuck Beach

Liked 59 Times in 13 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Chuck Beach
Wink Re: Looks like NHRA had a bad week-end

Terry, I don't care what anyone says bad about you on this or any other forum, you are a class act in my book and IHRA was very lucky to have you as part of their tech crew for so many years. Thank you for your service over those years and I am sure most people that know you knew what you meant ... take care .... taking the bike for a ride tonight after work, beautiful weather for riding ...