HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 06-08-2017, 05:43 AM   #11
Steve Stasko

Liked 240 Times in 126 Posts
Default Re: what stock eliminator class?

Out of curiosity, is the car a Hardtop or a Sedan? My Grandfather had a brand new '65 383/330 Sedan. It ran C/SA then!

I agree with Mark also, if you think the 516's and the carb are detrimental to the combo, you need to rethink your plans. Plan on spending most of your money on the heads. It's not going to be a "dime rocket" for sure, but it also shouldn't break the bank to build it and be somewhat competitive.
Steve Stasko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 11:16 AM   #12
James L Miller

Liked 24 Times in 15 Posts

I would think the bowls in the Edelbrock exhaust ports would need welded up and smaller seats put in for the 1.60" exhaust valves. I guess since they allowed "any valve job", welding the area under the seat is OK and then remachined? Or do you have to leave a big step under the seat since welding isn't legal on a Stocker head? Is the NHRA legal head coming with valve seats installed? I think they were, not sure if they still are.
Old 06-08-2017, 01:25 PM   #13
Svendsen

Liked 55 Times in 4 Posts

The 915 heads are better than the 516 heads. Those 915 heads are from 1967, where two versions were produced by Mopar, one with a 1.60 exhaust valve, the other with a 1.74 exhaust valve. Of course, you have to use the version with the 1.60 exhaust valve. Dean Oliver does a great job setting up the AFB for stock. We used CP pistons, which were flawless. If you can afford it, use the legal aftermarket rods specified by NHRA.

A few years ago, I wrote a Car Tech book, with huge help from Jim Hale, on building a 383 for Stock for my someday soon '66 Coronet stocker. It might help you decide if you want to run a 383.

Arvid Svendsen
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	51ofU2SNrBL.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	61.6 KB
ID:	40171   Click image for larger version

Name:	383-engine.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	79.0 KB
ID:	40172  
Svendsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 01:51 PM   #14
Coleydog

Liked 49 Times in 34 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by James L Miller View Post
I would think the bowls in the Edelbrock exhaust ports would need welded up and smaller seats put in for the 1.60" exhaust valves. I guess since they allowed "any valve job", welding the area under the seat is OK and then remachined? Or do you have to leave a big step under the seat since welding isn't legal on a Stocker head? Is the NHRA legal head coming with valve seats installed? I think they were, not sure if they still are.
Not totally sure but I think those E heads come with the small ex valve and closed chamber. The reason so much has to be done ($$$) to be like a 906. I have a 65 4door Plymouth (273 or 383) that I've been thinking what if...
Coleydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 12:22 AM   #15
James L Miller

Liked 24 Times in 15 Posts

http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive/...approved.shtml

http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive/...r-rpm-bb.shtml

"Combustion chamber volume: 75cc / 84cc / 88cc
Intake runner volume: 210cc
Exhaust runner volume: 70cc
Intake valve diameter: 2.140"
Exhaust valve diameter: 1.81"
Valve stem diameter: 11/32" "

I think someone said they weren't cutting the seats, so that would help with the standard 2.08"/1.74" valves. Then you need to ream the guides for 3/8" stems.
Old 06-09-2017, 08:43 PM   #16
Coleydog

Liked 49 Times in 34 Posts

Quote:
http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive/...approved.shtml

http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive/...r-rpm-bb.shtml

"Combustion chamber volume: 75cc / 84cc / 88cc
Intake runner volume: 210cc
Exhaust runner volume: 70cc
Intake valve diameter: 2.140"
Exhaust valve diameter: 1.81"
Valve stem diameter: 11/32" "

I think someone said they weren't cutting the seats, so that would help with the standard 2.08"/1.74" valves. Then you need to ream the guides for 3/8" stems.
Just checked, no seats cut
Coleydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 09:45 PM   #17
David Lee
VIP Member

Liked 287 Times in 114 Posts

Quote:

get a hold of shane studley on facebook.
David Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 01:46 AM   #18
Paul Precht

Liked 242 Times in 94 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by brutuswedge View Post
Thanks so much for your info & help. We are in southern Ohio. Very fortunate here; close to Trails in Columbus, Norwalk, Quaker City, the new 42, Mt, Vernon, Magnolia, Marion County, or Larue. Wanted to write more, but could't figure out how to edit, but, how much of a detriment do you Chrysler guys think those little 516 heads & tiny afb, I know I have to run, would be? I'm just not slippery enough to know how to figure out how to get a set of 906 heads, a late model intake & a Holley past tech. LOL! (Bet it would run then) Thanks again. Bob
The 915 head is legal and the ports are basically identical to the 906, the biggest issues are the small carb,566CFM on my bench and the lack of V to P clearance, that said it's a great combo at that HP Factor.
Paul Precht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 08:39 AM   #19
Greg Hill
VIP Member

Liked 270 Times in 68 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by brutuswedge View Post
Thanks so much for your info & help. We are in southern Ohio. Very fortunate here; close to Trails in Columbus, Norwalk, Quaker City, the new 42, Mt, Vernon, Magnolia, Marion County, or Larue. Wanted to write more, but could't figure out how to edit, but, how much of a detriment do you Chrysler guys think those little 516 heads & tiny afb, I know I have to run, would be? I'm just not slippery enough to know how to figure out how to get a set of 906 heads, a late model intake & a Holley past tech. LOL! (Bet it would run then) Thanks again. Bob
You are close to a really good stock eliminator engine builder in Dayton. Parsons and Myers have a history of fast mopars and other makes as well.