HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 03-01-2010, 07:20 PM   #11
Larry Ericksmoen

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Re: One More Year at BIR!

Listen up all you MN S/SS racers, you better do what Big JOE says and support that program. The last thing you want is Joe to drive up on his old golf cart in the pits and start verbally abusing you in front of other racers and or your family. Joe's barrage of degrogatory and demeaning comments can drastically deflate anyones ego and destroy a racers self confidence, not to mention losing the respect from the family pet. And as an example of long tern exposure from Joes constant berating look at the devastating hair loss Tom Schmidt has experienced. Its truly a miracle Tom can still win Wallys with Joe as his crew chief. Weird kinda chemistry I suspect.
but more importantly, the more you race your S/SS car at BIR during the year the more valuable your logo book will be to you when the Fletchers and Biondos show up for the Nationals in August.
Right Joe??
Larry Ericksmoen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 07:28 PM   #12
Larry Ericksmoen

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

and another thing, DYNO, whats your hurry to get home?
Old 03-01-2010, 08:35 PM   #13
5343stk

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Money is an important issue to most racer's. I believe most racer's race for the chance to win the winner's purse. Round money is nice, but doesn't really impact the checking account.

I grew up at BIR. I love the place as much as anyone.

I don't believe BIR's problems stem from the payout structure. I think we are all smart enough to realize you can't pay out more than you take in on entry fee's.

I have a hard time looking forward to racing at BIR Bracket Races for numerous reasons :

1. It is like an act of congress to even gain access to the facility. How many people do you need to see to pay your money?
2. Every time we go, I pay a different amount. Why not pay a flat rate for racecar, pit vehicle, dogs, goats, etc. ? Is the yearly golf cart fee that important to BIR's bottom line?
3. Why do we have to pay extra to park on blacktop. Shouldn't it be first come first serve? If I come early, I shouldn't have to pit in cat litter.
4. Why does Tech take so long? I think I went thru teardown at Indy in 2009 faster than I could tech 2 cars at Brainerd.
5. Why are license runs more important than actual competing racers? How many times have we been ready to go in staging, only to be held back for a license pass.
6. Have a defined run order and follow. The thing I like most about NHRA races is a schedule. If I'm only gonna get 1 run a day let me know. Don't hold the racer's hostage while you try to complete too much in a day.
7. Get car's down the track faster. Most racers can do their burnout and will not stage until the track is clear. Open another turn-off for the jr's and slower cars if possible.

I feel as a group we can try to make this work. I will attempt to make a few races this year. I may only let my wife drive, but atleast it will be one extra car. I would have a hard time with the pace of time trials and eliminations on 1 day while helping my wife and kids.

That said, BIR is one of the premier facilities in the country. I believe with a combined effort it may work for parties.

Hopefully with Pat & Joyce, BIR will have some continuity in leadership. This may be the step in the right direction we all need.

Jamie
5343stk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 09:31 PM   #14
JRyan

Liked 106 Times in 29 Posts

I think Jamie brings up some very good points. It's been a few of years since we've attended a S/SS race at Brainerd but a lot of what was said held true when we did attend.
You can argue purse and round money until you're blue in the face and nobody will ever be satisfied. We put together a race at Interstate a couple years back and had some help with USA and it paid okay for the amount of car's and Travis tried one last year as well with roughly the same success. We went because for us it was close and we liked Interstate.
I like Brainerd as well but for us it's over a five hour drive one way. Which means I'd have to leave right after work Friday to get there by midnight and either spend an addtional night in a hotel or front seat of the truck. This also means sometimes we wouldn't get home until around midnight and that can make for a long weekend when you don't have much vacation to use. This is also the reason why the purse does mean something to us. I like Jamie would at least like to trick myself into thinking if I do well I at least covered my weekend. It can be tough to swallow if you win a race and still come home in the hole for the weekend.
You can't ask for Brainerd to take a loss on the class but the regulars could with some assitance from the track maybe come up with some area businesses or suppliers that would throw in $100 here or there. If you find a half dozen or dozen over the year that will put in a little money it can add up in a hurry. This is what we try to do around here and that usually lets the track get a decent cut and still guarantee at least a fair purse. Maybe this has been tried I don't know.
One question as I don't remember do they run two separate S/SS races one on Sat one on Sun? Or is it just a single day during the bracket weekend? That too has an impact on attendance. That's my take on the issue. If there are two days of racing and a decent payout I'd try my best to attend a couple if possible. But, if it's just a one day deal and the other day you have to run a bracket class anyway I'd assume do it much closer to home.

Rick Ryan
JRyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 10:34 PM   #15
Joe Demarais

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

A lot of good thoughts guys, I talked to A BIR staff member a couple of weeks ago, and a lot of your complaints are being worked on. Their payouts are posted on their web site, paying to get into the track is being made easier, buying your entry to race what class you want to is easier, i think parking is easier as long as you don't park in a reserved spot, and a lot of the spots have a plug-in you can rent very reasonably. They are trying to make things easier to race there. I, myself, don't want to drive 5 or 6 hours to race everytime I want to hit a S/SS race, and some of you guys want to go to pts races and nat events which is great, but for every one of them there are 5 of us that really don't like the idea of not being able to race 2 hrs away at a grade A track. A friend of mine has already been to 2 divisional races this year, entry fee's were $210 and 230, he was parked in the rubarb, BIR is looking like a deal. Again this year they will race us on Saturday, and if you want, you can run brackets on Sunday.
PS BIR is the only track where I have red lighted and still won the round!!! Right Larry!!!!
Old 03-02-2010, 01:03 AM   #16
corky

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Joe you are good friend and you are doing the right thing for bir .BUT where was the cars for Trav. at Inerstate last year or TVD. corky
corky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 10:52 AM   #17
Joe Demarais

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Corky, I had a problem making either one of those that weekend, but I think BIR had a race that weekend also, I even asked Lawrence Line why none of them from middle Minn went up there, and I'll never ask again! joe
Old 03-02-2010, 10:54 AM   #18
MEXJOE

Liked 151 Times in 48 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5343stk View Post
Money is an important issue to most racer's. I believe most racer's race for the chance to win the winner's purse. Round money is nice, but doesn't really impact the checking account.

I grew up at BIR. I love the place as much as anyone.

I don't believe BIR's problems stem from the payout structure. I think we are all smart enough to realize you can't pay out more than you take in on entry fee's.

I have a hard time looking forward to racing at BIR Bracket Races for numerous reasons :

1. It is like an act of congress to even gain access to the facility. How many people do you need to see to pay your money?
2. Every time we go, I pay a different amount. Why not pay a flat rate for racecar, pit vehicle, dogs, goats, etc. ? Is the yearly golf cart fee that important to BIR's bottom line?
3. Why do we have to pay extra to park on blacktop. Shouldn't it be first come first serve? If I come early, I shouldn't have to pit in cat litter.
4. Why does Tech take so long? I think I went thru teardown at Indy in 2009 faster than I could tech 2 cars at Brainerd.
5. Why are license runs more important than actual competing racers? How many times have we been ready to go in staging, only to be held back for a license pass.
6. Have a defined run order and follow. The thing I like most about NHRA races is a schedule. If I'm only gonna get 1 run a day let me know. Don't hold the racer's hostage while you try to complete too much in a day.
7. Get car's down the track faster. Most racers can do their burnout and will not stage until the track is clear. Open another turn-off for the jr's and slower cars if possible.

I feel as a group we can try to make this work. I will attempt to make a few races this year. I may only let my wife drive, but atleast it will be one extra car. I would have a hard time with the pace of time trials and eliminations on 1 day while helping my wife and kids.

That said, BIR is one of the premier facilities in the country. I believe with a combined effort it may work for parties.

Hopefully with Pat & Joyce, BIR will have some continuity in leadership. This may be the step in the right direction we all need.

Jamie
I will agree with the way time is wasted at BIR
they could use some tips on time efficiency!
At the gate and the tech line has gotten quite extreme.
I did see we now have the option to pre-enter (GENERAL ADM.)and pay for racing entry at the tower?????

What I don't understand is how TRI-STATE can take care of all the cars it gets with 3 ladies an old cash register and a garden shed.
While BIR Has 8 OR 9 young people running back and forth with Digital Scanners, Clip Boards with a bunch of paperwork on and a Big Fancy Gate House, and still ......just can't seem to take some money from you & let people (Goats & Dogs) in in a timely fashion ???????

I do however,.. like that BIR goes to the effort to have a S/SS program for us & the scale is maned.

BTW
(Goats ?????) Maybe that's why it a GOAT ROPE!!!

I will go and take it!
But it is easy when I race by myself.
I don't have any family going along
I can see how it can get TO BE $$$$ !!! For those who do.

Nothing is perfect and never will be.

I am just happy to have a place to race and I am thank-full
some developer didn't buy BIR and build a bunch of new homes and townhomes
that, would likely be sitting empty, We would have no race track at all.
Just the memories of all the good times and fine people that
we had the chance to race with at BIR.
MEXJOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 11:14 AM   #19
MEXJOE

Liked 151 Times in 48 Posts

Hi Corky

I had intended to go but it was the same day as a race at BIR.

Now, when I leave here and drive to Brainerd it is very hard to have justified driving another 3 hours with a race right there.

Not to mention the fact my car was not running very good.(NEW CAR BUGS)

I hope people can understand.

Not showing at that race WAS NOT an act of defiance!
Nor was it a way of saying one place, or group is better than another.

Simply it was a matter of time, as well as some were in the points deal at BIR.
That's all.

Like I said,.. I like to race my car and will attend any track that has a S/SS EVENT.

See you in the spring!
Take care
Glen

Quote:
Originally Posted by corky View Post
Joe you are good friend and you are doing the right thing for bir .BUT where was the cars for Trav. at Inerstate last year or TVD. corky
MEXJOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 09:08 PM   #20
Larry Ericksmoen

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Thats Right ! Joe did win a round against me after he redlighted.
It happened back in the 70's when Big Joe was one of the baddest bracket racers in all the land, and I was just a wanna be racer from Duluth.But after studying the basic principals of bracket racing I was able to appy my knowledge to beat Joe like a redheaded step child and get the win light in several straight races. But on this fateful day at BIR, when it appeared to Joe that he was going to take a 1st round whipping against me again, he decended on me with a verbal assault in which he promised to rip off my head and crap down my neck if I drove up on him, whopped the throttle and won the round again. Well I got soooo intimidated and flustered that I left the starting line with wheels up and the steering wheel cranked a 1/4 turn, thus crossing the centerline right behind Joe when the wheels came down. A painful memory 30 years later.