HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 10-03-2010, 07:59 PM   #11
SS Engine Guy

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Re: Let me get this straight.

Nothing wrong with a p/u and car hauler. Did that for probably 15 years and camped in the tech line then at the track. Got more stuff paid off and moved up to a diesel dually and a small inclosed trailer. Had to deal with eating out at least at dinner and sometimes breakfast. Stayed in every raghead motel from NY. to Fla. Usually 10 - 30 miles from the track. Did that for about 6 years. Moved to a Century class with living quarters and a stacker which if geared correctly gets 12-14 mpg on junk low sulfur fuel. Fuel milage 4 mpg less. No more reservations a year in advance at inflated prices. No more eating out. No more long drives to the motel at late hours. Figures out about the same except with a lot less hassle. Not exactly necessary but neither is a race car.

Now if the racing organizations could get their act together maybe I might travel more.
SS Engine Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 07:59 PM   #12
M&M Motorsports

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Every sport has its own idiosyncracies -- you could try golf -- join a nice club $100,000+; monthly dues $1,000 - $2,000 plus green fees $200+ per round; plus equipment -- no chance of winning anything! Everybody makes a choice. I have a motorhome and a stacker so that my wife and I can both race -- arrive in the same vehicle -- stay at the track, etc. My choice. BTW, I started by flat towing and changing tires at the track - and have continued with all the stages in between. My way is not better or worse than yours, just different. I will continue to race this way as long as I can. I truly enjoy racing and my wife absolutely LOVES it! Besides, in my book it beats shuffleboard and golf!!! None of the racers I know that have motorhomes and stackers do this to show off or take up too much room. We take only one space though we pay for two cars -- we have come to the track with 3 cars and only got about 1 1/2 spaces. I hope things turn around for all of us so that when we come to the track it is jammed with racers!! For now, I am glad to see as many as possible no matter how they get there! My $.02
M&M Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 08:00 PM   #13
Ken Miele
Live Reporter

Liked 13,254 Times in 1,238 Posts

Jason,

Not sure how long you have been racing or how old your are, but yes you are wrong with most of your presumptions.

Most racers do not race for financial gain, that's number one. Your statement about wining a few thousand dollars is also wrong. A National Event win with just 30 plus contingency decals will bring you 10,000 or more. Not enough to pay for your season unless you win a few, but it is still more than a few thousand.

Ego, yes you are right, but I suspect you also race because of ego. To say you don't is only kidding yourself.

As far as the big rigs go, what's wrong with a person spending that kind of money? If it makes them happy and they have money to spend, who is to say they should not.

Putting a price on a good time is only an issue if you don't have the money to spend. Its obvious they do and they will.

Jason, don't worry about the guy ahead of you, just look at the guy behind you. Life is so much better when you appreciate what you have and not worry about what you don't. They are having fun, and when its all said a done, and we are dead, what the hell did life mean if you didn't have a little fun along the way.

Don't take this personal Jason, its just that the way you framed your post leaves me to believe you might have issues with racers who spend lots of money.
Ken Miele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 08:07 PM   #14
JSLRacing

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Good response...and you are correct.

I don't care what a guy spends.. in the end it's you versus the clock and reaction time.

I started racing in 1997 with a championship in my very first year.

Call me cheap or a Conservative but I can see a Top Fuel team with a 20 mil budget using a hauler.. not a stocker team.

I picture a motorhome and a enclosed trailer... not a $200 000 Peterbuilt Hauler with all the bling.

To each their own but I know I would be divorced if I came home with a hauler and a $100 000 race car.. You guys must have understanding spouses..
JSLRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 08:50 PM   #15
Ed Fernandez
Veteran Member

Liked 100 Times in 45 Posts

We all race at comfort and financial level.#2 guy in the world the last 2 years,Anthony Fetch has a P/U and an enclosed.Michael Beard great racer and self promoter also has a P/U but uses an open trailer.When I first started bracket racing (1977) I flat towed my first gremlin with an assortment of cars and station wagons.Got a open trailer in 1990.
Started in Stock in 1999 with a used,but nicely setup 18" enclosed.Still working out of it today.It gets me some primo parking spots sometimes because I don't take up a lot of space.Do it at your comfort level.Don't worry about the next guy.
And never lose your sense of humor.
Former NHRA #1945
Former IHRA #1945
T/SA
Ed Fernandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 09:03 PM   #16
gmonde

Liked 166 Times in 59 Posts

i speak for my self but some will agree ,,,if you are in it for money,,,for get it !!!!! some have the luxury of having the motor homes,stackers,enclosed living quarters ,but they all started some where,,i my self have just an enclosed trailer and a pick up truck and have done my share of ruffing it,,,but i do it because of the challenge ,,mechanical,physical,and mental ,,,it takes all three to get these down the track and to win on sunday ,,,its just like any other hobby or sport
boats (talk about money)
golf(not as bad but the only thing you drive is the golf cart)
my 2 cents

gmonde
gmonde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 09:16 PM   #17
Joe DeMarzo

Liked 114 Times in 9 Posts

Jason, go with what ever you can afford or what you are comfortable with. I have an open trailer and a pick up truck. I have won a few here and there and never has anyone who interviewed me asked "what did you tow to the track with". Been doing it (2nd time around) for 20 years and having a blast. Focus on your deal and have fun, forget the money because if you don't it is a loser.

Last edited by Joe DeMarzo; 10-03-2010 at 09:18 PM. Reason: spelling
Joe DeMarzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 09:46 PM   #18
JSLRacing

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

This is my second go round also.. I walked away from Drag racing only 5 years ago and can't believe the amount of money that people are investing.

When I won at Indy in 1997 I used a borrowed van and a borrowed trailer to get there.

At my peak I had a 1 ton truck and a 26 foot enclosed trailer. My wife and I slept on an air mattress beside my tool box.

I sold everything when i walked away.
JSLRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 09:54 PM   #19
Bryan Broaddus

Liked 18 Times in 3 Posts

I started with a used pickup and an open trailer (which I still have in the family) and finally ended up with a "Big Rig". We haul 3 cars to the track and it is cheaper this way than to drive 2 or 3 trucks and trailers. Plus it is safer using a "Big Rig" with real brakes and gears for all the hills we have to drive living here is Southern California. I tried a 2 car trailer and a 1 ton diesel Dually Pickup and it would pull it fine, but if you had to stop in a hurry on a hill it was scary!
Now we take a Motor home with us too, so we have lost some on the efficiency end but it is nice to sleep in your own bed and eat your own food. We figure we save about 4 hours a day not having to get to and from hotels, meals and driving back and forth from the track. There are some logistics to deal with like DOT requirements and CDL's but that is part of it.
Old 10-03-2010, 10:37 PM   #20
Dgal

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I think I saw someone once post. How else can one spend so much money to accomplish so little to impress so few that you don't know.

This is drag racing!

Don
Dgal is offline   Reply With Quote