HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > .90 Heads Up Class Racing Tech
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 01-02-2010, 01:11 PM   #11
Ken Haase

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Re: Burnout?

Tom, and others, do you use a chip to control burnout RPM? Or do you just mat the gas and go for it? I use a 3-step w/ a 6K chip for the burnout and was wondering if there is a better way. I try not to hit the chip.

Also, does a lot of instant wheel speed help keep the car straight on the burnout? My car is sort of heavy and underpowered and tends to wag it's tail and get out of shape sometimes, limiting the duration and effectiveness of the burmout.

Thanks.
Ken Haase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 06:37 PM   #12
skj283

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

my car tends to go sideways if i dont get a good amout of water on both tires or if one tire is sitting in water and one isnt when you start. i zip the motor going through the water so the entire circumfence is covered in water. once i started doing that it helped my car stay straighter. just watch and make sure someone doesnt roll through the water and then another ten feet forward. if you line up in their water tracks they leave it tends to create a funky burnout. generally going sideways is from one tire taking more heat quicker than the other is what i'm getting at.
skj283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 07:08 PM   #13
Tom Goldman
VIP Member

Liked 703 Times in 206 Posts

My right foot is my rev limiter in the water ! ....I rarely look at the tach ,but still keep the revs within 1-200 rpm., just tuned into the sound of the motor I guess. ......... Most of the time when a car turns in the water its because the concrete in the burnout box is so wornout that one tire may be in a ditch and the other on a flat surface. ....It takes a severely crooked rear,or an abnormally high amount of preload to turn a car in the water.........My car is usually straight as an arrow ,except for two tracks Maple Grove and Cecil Co. both left lanes. ........the water box guys usually do a good job of keeping you out of the ruts,but I still occasionally get a little sideways.......When that happens ,I just turn the wheel,stand on it ,and provide a "photo oppertunity"! LOL. .....Tom
Old 01-02-2010, 11:14 PM   #14
SGSST109E

Liked 126 Times in 60 Posts

Have always made a burnout in high gear on a glide. Why put additional wear on the high pack with shift.
SGSST109E is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 06:06 PM   #15
C and W Racing

Liked 10 Times in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by skj283 View Post
my car tends to go sideways if i dont get a good amout of water on both tires or if one tire is sitting in water and one isnt when you start. i zip the motor going through the water so the entire circumfence is covered in water. once i started doing that it helped my car stay straighter. just watch and make sure someone doesnt roll through the water and then another ten feet forward. if you line up in their water tracks they leave it tends to create a funky burnout. generally going sideways is from one tire taking more heat quicker than the other is what i'm getting at.
I see a lot of people do that and that is one practice I don't believe in. I will roll through the water as slow as I can so I dont push water out of the water box and then I will pull completely past where it stops. Thats where having a 2 step comes in handy because you can mat the throttle without over reving the engine and be able to get the wheel speed up. The biggest reason I don't believe in spinning the tires in the water box is because what goes up must come down. As you spin the tires the water coming off of your tires is sprayed all into your tubs or wheel wells. Well its only natural that the water is going to drip back down onto your tires at some point, usually after you have staged and up on the 2 step with the car at a nice steady vibration shaking the water back down. Just my 2 cents worth
Chuck
C and W Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 07:57 PM   #16
Bob Verwold

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

You guys make it sound as though your driving through a pond.

I just make it short and sweet..........slicks cost to much.
Bob Verwold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 11:14 PM   #17
Tom Goldman
VIP Member

Liked 703 Times in 206 Posts

Pond? ....At some tracks is more like a lake!!! .........I agree,I don't flip the tires in the water. ....All it does is throw it up in the tubs and lets it drip down on the slicks. .....Tom
Old 01-06-2010, 05:00 AM   #18
billy leber

Liked 10 Times in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Goldman View Post
My right foot is my rev limiter in the water ! ....I rarely look at the tach ,but still keep the revs within 1-200 rpm., just tuned into the sound of the motor I guess. ......... Most of the time when a car turns in the water its because the concrete in the burnout box is so wornout that one tire may be in a ditch and the other on a flat surface. ....It takes a severely crooked rear,or an abnormally high amount of preload to turn a car in the water.........My car is usually straight as an arrow ,except for two tracks Maple Grove and Cecil Co. both left lanes. ........the water box guys usually do a good job of keeping you out of the ruts,but I still occasionally get a little sideways.......When that happens ,I just turn the wheel,stand on it ,and provide a "photo oppertunity"! LOL. .....Tom
couldnt agree more, everything tom said
Old 01-06-2010, 09:51 AM   #19
GaryGoFast

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Talking Re: Burnout?

Quote:
Originally Posted by billy leber View Post
couldnt agree more, everything tom said
I also agree with Tom, 6500 in burnout with right foot as rev limiter, not that tough to do. Never spin the tires in the water, just roll thru slowly to just past the water and let'r rip. Got scolded very severely for turning the tire in water many years ago when I attended "The Shoes" school, he could be very persuasive. 60's are very consistent.
Old 01-06-2010, 02:24 PM   #20
skj283

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

i understand ur view of it throwing water up into the fenderwells. just like the reason you dont go through the water on a street tire. my track seems to think water is gold or something and often the water isnt but about a foot or two across. and if i just roll through it and stop there is about a 50 percent chance i will be sitting on dry tire. however to each his own and whatever works to get a consistent 60' foot is what were all after in the end. how you get it is entirely up to you.
skj283 is offline   Reply With Quote