HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 07-06-2009, 07:32 PM   #11
partsbob67

Liked 37 Times in 10 Posts
Default Re: 2008 Ford Super Duty F-350

yeah they don't get any fuel mileage. been a complaint since day 1. sounds fishy that they are denying warranty work then. especially since it's under 3/36. i would try another dealer if you can.
Old 07-06-2009, 08:29 PM   #12
b.guggenmos

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by partsbob67 View Post
does the truck have a chip in it? do you use ford filters on it? i work at a dealership and i know that ford has been getting hard nose on those issues. still the 6.4v seems to be a good engine. have seen very few of them in our shop, especially when compared to the 6.0s. now that was a bad one.
I agree with you 100% as a former Ford tech and now a city fleet tech. The 6.0 had many more problems than the 6.4 diesel. Yes the 6.4 is stuffed in there tight but so is the 5.4 gas and the V10. Not fun to work on but there are a lot of them on the road without near the probelms of the 6.0.
We have a 6.4 in a bucket truck and it went in for a recall on the radiator and to reprogram the pcm for an improved dpf filter cycle. Only other problem is the fuel transfer pump failed.

As long as it does not have a chip in it Ford should make good on the warranty. Get a hold of the zone rep and go from there. Sounds like your dealer is going to make you do the work. Good luck, Brian
b.guggenmos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 08:47 PM   #13
Pat Cook

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Yeah, and after all the smoke clears.....(no pun intended) it probably is the EGR cooler.
Pat Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 10:36 PM   #14
Z28-69

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Smile Re: 2008 Ford Super Duty F-350

Here's my thinking. The truck if it were running with the miles that are on it is worth 30K. Know they want me to spend $21400 to fix it. So that puts me at $51400 in when the truck was purchased at 46K on a 50K sticker. In my oppionion I have a new boat anchor for the cottage. Can I report it stollen??????
Z28-69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 12:53 AM   #15
B Aceves

Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
Unhappy Re: 2008 Ford Super Duty F-350

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z28-69 View Post
Here's my thinking. The truck if it were running with the miles that are on it is worth 30K. Know they want me to spend $21400 to fix it. So that puts me at $51400 in when the truck was purchased at 46K on a 50K sticker. In my oppionion I have a new boat anchor for the cottage. Can I report it stollen??????
As a previous Dealership automotive tech and a current tech for Cat Diesel, I first off would at this point
get in touch with the BAR( Bureau of Automotive Repair ) and get a case open ASAP. Make sure you
have all your documents in order. Your next conversation with the dealer and the Rep should go something
like I would like to have all your documented Service reports up to this point on my vehicle its your right to have copies of all the info period, Then explain to them that at this point you can no longer speak to anyone
due to the fact that the B.A.R has been contacted. But For sure contact the B.A.R NOW!.
B Aceves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 04:50 PM   #16
Johnny U

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

You probably had an injector go bad and that is why your oil level was too high cause it has a weep hole that will spit diesel fuel into the crankcase. Normal oil change intervals is 16000kms or 10k in miles for the 6.4. Severe service which would include towing you would cut the mileage intervals in half. Call Ford customer relations and they should be able to resolve your concern. Was it a certified diesel tech that looked at your truck! I know that in Canada you have to be certified by Ford to work on a diesel if it has warranty on the vehicle cause I repair these trucks at a Ford dealer and it took me a bunch of training to get diesel certified by Ford. I hope you do not get screwed by the dealer that your truck is at, the 6.4 is not that bad of an engine either is the 6.0 IF they are maintained properly and not chipped. Hope this helps some
Johnny U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 07:02 PM   #17
340Cuda
VIP Member

Liked 683 Times in 292 Posts

Z28-69,

With this much at stake I think a good lawyer might be a good investment.

You are really getting messed over for no good reason.

Good Luck!
Bill
340Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 07:40 PM   #18
jim morgan

Liked 51 Times in 8 Posts

you should check for recalls some of the 6.4s have a recall on injectors,
we have replaced 6 or 7 complete engines since the first of the year plus
3 or 4 short blocks, this should be warranty contact ford they need to
decide not the dealer
Old 07-07-2009, 07:53 PM   #19
Shawn Blair

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

They bought four of these trucks where I work and every single one of them went in for warranty work. They had the same issue and they had less than 2000 miles on them. One of them tried to run away when we were bringing it to the dealership, rpm went to the moon,stood on the brakes and had to key it off to stop it. That one was towed in. One other one did the same thing after it had been "fixed" by dealership, after that we just parked them. I work at a refinery and the second one did it in the middle of the process units and we can't have trucks out of control driving into units or running over people. Anyway the dealership said that it's an injection pump issue,"all four of the trucks got new injection pumps" and our trucks have this problem because we don't drive over 20 mph inside the refinery but I have heard of personal trucks doing this also. Ford was contacted to see if they would replace these with gas trucks and they said no! This was with 2000 miles or less on all four trucks! Last I heard they were going to trade them in on gas powered trucks without any Ford help. I would get it fixed if they will do it under warranty and then buy a Cummins Dodge or an older Ford 7.3 Powerstroke. I feel that Ford has a big problem with the 6.4 diesels and don't want to fess up to it. anyway good luck and I hope you get something out of them!
Old 07-07-2009, 09:14 PM   #20
Z28-69

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Question for the guys who understand how diesels work? Ford is trying to say this is an oil related problem. How does oil affect what happened to this motor?
Z28-69 is offline   Reply With Quote