HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 10-01-2014, 08:55 PM   #151
Dick Butler
VIP Member

Liked 32 Times in 19 Posts
Default Re: Part of what hurt drag racing

Kevin, you are so right people who do not race should not blame NHRA, Class Racing or those they have raced against. People who enter and support the events are having a great time with friends. That is their goal.
Now that said some will continue to "discuss" the expensive cars, the "bogus HP' car that beat them, or the cost of gas. That is human nature. Have a great race.
Some of us will continue to seek a way to make Stk and SS a FAN favorite or cheaper, or more even factor wise. That doesn't mean we don't LOVE drag racing.
Dick Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 10:55 PM   #152
GarysZ24
VIP Member

Liked 197 Times in 78 Posts
Send a message via MSN to GarysZ24 Send a message via Yahoo to GarysZ24

I.M.H.O., I will offer things that are hurting drag racing:

1. The increased cost for spectators, and non-professional racers.

2. The doubling of the registration & increased competition costs.

3. Lowering the Stock/Super Stock indexes .3 sec., making it harder for low-buck slower roller racers (me included), to be competitive.

4. Changing the altitude correction factors (along with #3), from the original Stock/Super Stock factors, to the factors used by the .90 Super classes.

5. Perhaps the lack of an over-the-road car show, because the enclosed trailers don't identify the racing operation (good for security, but not for the fans...especially the young ones).

6. Lack of variety in Stock eliminations (at Indy especially), given the changed format of class winners not automatically qualifying for the 128 car field (not to mention single class entries having to be in combo class runoffs...it's not their fault no other cars in their classes showed for the races...they should still get their Wally's for being .5 under the index like it used to be)...many of them may not be quicker against their indexes than the barrage of the newer FSS. Stock Eliminator (at Indy) is essentially becoming Pro Stock with many of the qualified cars being the same, except for paint schemes...no longer so much of the variety we once had...not everyone races one of the Copo Camaro's, Challengers, or Mustangs. Less we not forget how awesome the 2010 A/S Final between John Calverts Ford Thunderbolt, and Jason McCormacks Dodge Coronet was...variety in a battle of equally competitive cars, not today where the newer fuel injected super-charged cars, are battling in the same classes with the older carb.cars.
CF/S #5824 (#78 in 2021)
GarysZ24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 06:39 PM   #153
rapid1055

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I think if you read the posts .... collectively everyone specifically presented what were and continue to be reasons for what is occurring in modern day Drag Racing.
I would also like to state that no one has added
the following:
Electronics....I guess many would rather use the term Technology.
Electronics/Technology that creep-ed in/evolved by everyone over
time and is a must have to be competitive basically in all classes.
Whats next....HUD (Heads Up Displays)?
My basic point here is that there are many reasons that have been
presented, However..... Drag Racing is where its at because Drag Racers themselves evolved the sport of Drag Racing from where it once was to what it is today.
And maybe that's the place everyone wants it to be.
rapid1055 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 09:40 PM   #154
kellintrans

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

As someone who is getting back into drag racing after being out of it for more then a decade, I have seen a lot of changes in just that period of time. It is more expensive, but so is everything else. But, from what I have noticed, the type of people who are interested in participating in this sport is dwindling.

I am 43 years old, and was still in diapers during the "Golden Era". However, I remember watching Garlits, Prudhome, Muldowney, Jenkins, etc.. on TV ( ABC Wide World of Sports, no cable then) with my father when I was a kid in the '70's. I knew then, I wanted to build/ drag race a car someday, and in the 80's and '90's, I did. Nothing serious, but I did it.

My point is, the type of people who built and drag raced in the early days where, for the most part, blue collar guys. They built and raced there own cars. They were not adverse to getting their hands dirty. They worked all day at a regular job, and then worked on the car at night. They did not have a lot of money, but made up for it with ingenuity. They did it because they loved it. The average fan could also identify with the cars they were racing.

The people who are participating in grassroots drag racing today are pretty much the same way, but there are just a lot less of us. People, today, are more lazy, and have no ambition. The average kid can turn on the video game, and drive what ever car suits them, and when they crash it, just hit the reset button. The average man, today, has no idea what is under the hood of the Honda minivan, and does not really care. He scoffs at people who rather work on there own cars, then play fantasy football. He would rather watch his reality TV show or stick and ball sports from his recliner. He is not the least bit interested in putting in the extra time and work to do anything else, much less work on a car.

Drag racing can be expensive, period. It always has been. If you are willing to go the extra mile, work hard, and think out of the box it still can be done affordably. There are just fewer of us willing to make that commitment, and we are getting older with each passing year.

The times have changed, and not always for the better.
kellintrans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 11:57 AM   #155
Dan Fahey
VIP Member

Liked 181 Times in 111 Posts

I think drag Racing is just doing fine.

It has evolved to other venues.
Especially all the Outlaw type bring what you brung cars.
Today we have 6 second street cars.
Or rather really fast Race Cars adapted to drive on the street.

Lots of Clubs are being started.
I can see a Car Club run off.

IMHO instead of what is hurting Drag Racing.
What would improve Stock, SS, Comp (would love to see MP back)?
What would improve all the pro series?
What can be done to reduce costs?

Personally I would like to get with investors to create a Mobile Motel with Restaurant and Wash Facilities. That way some of us can just bring the Trailer at 15mpg instead of 8mpg.

Dan
Dan Fahey is offline   Reply With Quote