HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Nostalgia Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 02-11-2012, 10:58 PM   #131
WH23H6

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: A990 Super Stockers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Wolfe View Post
The red car did become the white and black one. I was helping Jim and SE Buchannan from 1990 to 1995 and did quite alot of work on that one and the Daytona GT that David Bogner has. The 65 was a built car, not original. It went to Southland when Jim quit for awhile.

Someone mentioned Ron Cheshire. I remember in about 1983 Cecil Petty was racing a 1965 Coronet in SS/CA (Mopar Mastadon). I was crewing for him and we went to an IHRA race at a converted horse track in La. Ron came with a 1965 Dodge I think he said came from Jimmy Johnson is northern La. I believe he got it from Bill Gibbs. Harris Mabry was with Ron and had a white 67 WO23. That Harris had some pretty good stories about his racing days.
Just curious...did Jim have the Red carbuilt? Or was it a race car when he got it?
WH23H6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 11:37 AM   #132
hemlock

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

This is an A990 Dodge that was run with a Plymouth front end in the UDRA circuit until 1970. Car was reportedly cut up by the next couple owners and eventually scrapped in the 70's.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Thumper A990.jpg
Views:	1807
Size:	167.2 KB
ID:	10767  
hemlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 12:39 PM   #133
Dave Wolfe

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WH23H6 View Post
Just curious...did Jim have the Red carbuilt? Or was it a race car when he got it?
If I remember right Jim built that car. He was doing a lot of restoration work at the time, and Jim Lewis(Jim Lewis Racing Engines) was working for him and stopped by my shop in Burleson with the hull. He had it dipped to remove the paint and filler. I am not sure if he went back to Van Buren or to Joe Smith's shop. I remember a few holes it the floor pans. Jim used to say there was nothing lighter than a hole!
Dave Wolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 01:29 PM   #134
Jared Jordan

Liked 233 Times in 71 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Jared Jordan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geerhead55 View Post
I took that shot of the Jenkins & Serpa '65 Plymouth at Seattle in '85,,, don't know the history of the car or who it belonged to originally,,, or whats happened to it since then. I just remember it being a good working car that I liked and I was waiting for the DeFrank & Cohen Cuda to come up in the next pair, as you can see.
Danny Durham
Danny,

That car was bought new by my grandfather (Harry Holton) and campaigned as "The Hemi Countdown." Through (if I recall correctly) 6 different owners, the car never left Stanislaus County. Owners included Eric Bell, Fred Frias, and the Jenkins Family. We bought it back in '90 or '91 from Bob Jenkins and ran it for a few years. The car stayed in the shop and was tore down for an anticipated restoration that we never got around to. Eventually, the car was sold to Mark Vieira who completed the car. Last I saw he had it for sale, but I'm unaware of it's current status/location.
Old 02-12-2012, 03:04 PM   #135
Geerhead55
VIP Member

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Wink Re: A990 Super Stockers

Thanks for the update, Jared. I appreciate the info. I actually have a picture I took, (not a good one) of the "Hemi Countdown" car at Puyallup in '68,, even showed the picture to your mom and Harry at Mission a few years back. So, now I know that the car you ran 8.96 in was a different '65 Plymouth, than the one I was thinking,,, I'm sure glad you kept it off the wall that day, its a nice piece. Take care,,, Danny Durham
Geerhead55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 09:05 PM   #136
Jared Jordan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Polewik View Post
Don't mind at all. Just having fun. Private message me who you are. Like to share info with guys I know. Heck maybe you can help me fill in some blanks, you have alot of knowledge it looks like.

I haven't figured out the owners between Jack Werst and Ken. When I got the car from Ken in 06 I think he said it came from the Scranton, PA area. Havent started the restoration except for lifting the roof off the cage and then putting the doors back on. Searching for parts. About impossible to find the glass.

As for the 65 my dad used to race/own. It is now owned(last time I checked) by the Holton family. It originally was out of Wyoming. John Wilson first 65 race car(before the brown one-if your from the midwest you'll know).

Later,
Alex
The car that went 8.96 @ Mission is the red car on page 2 of this post (on back of a trailer, division 5 number, SS/CA) that Alex Polewik was referring to. It's still sitting in the shop. He'd like to sell it.
Old 02-12-2012, 09:11 PM   #137
Jared Jordan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geerhead55 View Post
Thanks for the update, Jared. I appreciate the info. I actually have a picture I took, (not a good one) of the "Hemi Countdown" car at Puyallup in '68,, even showed the picture to your mom and Harry at Mission a few years back. So, now I know that the car you ran 8.96 in was a different '65 Plymouth, than the one I was thinking,,, I'm sure glad you kept it off the wall that day, its a nice piece. Take care,,, Danny Durham
You and me both!! That run I remember better than most.
Old 02-13-2012, 02:31 PM   #138
Hemi Moose
VIP Member

Liked 11 Times in 11 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemlock View Post
This is an A990 Dodge that was run with a Plymouth front end in the UDRA circuit until 1970. Car was reportedly cut up by the next couple owners and eventually scrapped in the 70's.

Last edited by Hemi Moose; 12-21-2012 at 11:01 PM.
Hemi Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 03:31 PM   #139
Hemi Moose
VIP Member

Liked 11 Times in 11 Posts

A couple more '65 A990 Plymouth's...

Last edited by Hemi Moose; 12-30-2012 at 04:15 PM.
Hemi Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 06:01 PM   #140
WH23H6

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Wolfe View Post
If I remember right Jim built that car. He was doing a lot of restoration work at the time, and Jim Lewis(Jim Lewis Racing Engines) was working for him and stopped by my shop in Burleson with the hull. He had it dipped to remove the paint and filler. I am not sure if he went back to Van Buren or to Joe Smith's shop. I remember a few holes it the floor pans. Jim used to say there was nothing lighter than a hole!
I think that it was Joe Smith who built the chassis...or so Ive been told..

Its a great chassis...hooks hard and goes straight every time...the only weak link in the whole car so far has been the driver!

And ya...floor pan has some holes!! haha Never looked at it that way..holes are light...

Its nice to see pics from before...gives you an idea of the history of the car...all these cars seem to have very colourful histories..
WH23H6 is offline   Reply With Quote