HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Nostalgia Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 11-22-2009, 11:32 PM   #101
dart4forte

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default Re: '66 Dodge D-Dart at Mecum auction

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Ceasrine View Post
Alan,
Good hunting there. Headers in trunk, just like the 67 R/O Plymouth and
67 W/O Dodge race packages. Always had a question about those
Doug Headers with the smaller collector sizes. NHRA limited collector sizes, they could not exceed the size of the largest diameter of the exhaust system (I think 2 3/4" was the opening in that large "Y" pipe) or a tad smaller. For stock classes, Super Stock could have openings up to
3 1/2".
The cast iron intakes with the 1 11/16" openings for primary and secondary were found on marine applications, as they all pretty much utilized Holley carburetors. Dig up Chrysler Marine info, you'll find a bunch of stuff. They were really leaps and bounds ahead of the small-block drag race guys at Chrysler. In 68', many of the 318 marine engines had the larger-bore cast iron intakes on the engines, and better camshafts, thanks to Camcraft, out of Easton, Maryland.
Paul, (Bigger valve size, that one I have got to look into. As for the
shifter, I think it was a 1966 safety issue. Requiring a positive lock-out on the reverse gear and/or indicator on all cars, Protecting the factory from liability claims.)

Paul,

Buddy of mine has one of those marine intakes with the 1 11/16" bores at the last swap meet we wereselling at. I almost fell over myself when I saw the intake unloaded and that he was selling it. First thing that caught my eye was those large bores and I thought I had scored. Disappointed when I checked the part number.
dart4forte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 06:59 AM   #102
Paul Ceasrine
VIP Member

Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts

Alan,
Be careful on some of those Marine intakes. Check the carb-mounting angle first. Some where angled downward (at idle), to allow for the carb to reach a level angle, when the boat was throttling up. Does not work well on the street. ,,,,Jim R, Did not know that on the C/FX cars. See what you learn here. But back in 65' and early 66', it was difficult to get performance parts for the 273...
I'm not even sure if Hooker made headers for them. Everyone was using
Doug Headers,,,,,Alex, that 9 1/4" clutch unit, made by Auburn (I think),
wasn't that a lovely clutch-package.
PC
Paul Ceasrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 01:34 PM   #103
dart4forte

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Ceasrine View Post
Alan,
Be careful on some of those Marine intakes. Check the carb-mounting angle first. Some where angled downward (at idle), to allow for the carb to reach a level angle, when the boat was throttling up. Does not work well on the street. ,,,,Jim R, Did not know that on the C/FX cars. See what you learn here. But back in 65' and early 66', it was difficult to get performance parts for the 273...
I'm not even sure if Hooker made headers for them. Everyone was using
Doug Headers,,,,,Alex, that 9 1/4" clutch unit, made by Auburn (I think),
wasn't that a lovely clutch-package.
PC
You mean that they were machined at an angle?
dart4forte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 05:31 AM   #104
Paul Ceasrine
VIP Member

Alan,
Yes, from the factory. Using a straight line as a plane, the carb-mounting area was machined down (at the front) approximately 25 degrees. When the boat accelarated, the carb would be at a near level angle. Unfortunately, some guys tried to use these manifolds on the street. Well at idle, the front intake runner tubes would load-up. If you didn't keep the revs up, it fouled-up the front cylinders. Also, imagine driving with one of those things, and then hitting the brakes. Mucho gasoline rushing forward. Thats why they said, Marine Applications Only. Some of the early 66' manifolds (that were bored to 1 11/16" or had the center shut-out removed) did not have the carb-mounting area angle-milled. These
could be utilized for the street, and D-Dart applications. Of course, I have no idea of the part#. Somehwere in the basement of my fathers old shop in Peekskill, NY there probably sits one, from Viking Boatyard
Paul
Old 11-27-2009, 08:35 PM   #105
bill dedman
VIP Member

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts

Jeeze, it doesn't take a degree in mechanical engineering to devise a wedge-shaped adapter to go between the manifold and carb base plate... to correct the bad angle.

As sharp as some of these guys are, I can't believe they didn't just whip out an angle-milled adapter plate to cure that problem.

What am I missing here? You said it was for street cars; no tech interference.... and, it could be of aluminum, and not very thick at all (no hood clearance issues.)

Can't imagine anybody smart enough to get their hands on one of those cars, that couldn't figure THAT out....

What am I missing?????????
Old 11-28-2009, 09:58 AM   #106
Paul Ceasrine
VIP Member

Bill,
Yes, any decent machinist with a Bridgeport "J" head milling machine could fabricate an angled-carb-adapter. But,,,back in late 66', 67'/68'/69'
just plain old 273 street cars and 318 2-barrel owners grabbed those
"Marine Application" manifolds because they had the Holley 650cfm
already mounted on them. It probably looked nice, an easy bolt-on.
Until, they found out that at idle the carb would load-up. Most inexperienced guys thought the carb was messed up, and required a re-build or adjustment. Any experienced 273 owner could tell the difference, just by looking at the intake. I think just seeing a Holley carb mounted on that intake made them excited. The early 66' marine intakes are the ones, center shut-out area removed and level mounting base. Later in 66', the angle carb-mount came into play for the marine applications.
Simply put, anyone with a little knowledge would simply take a stock
273 4-barrel intake and cut-out the center shut-out area, polish the edges, and bolt-on a carb-adapter or heat-riser. Good for another
5 Horsepower at 6000rpm.
Paul
Old 11-29-2009, 06:29 AM   #107
Paul Ceasrine
VIP Member

Alan & bill,
I'll try to post some old 1966 drag photo's and info on the D/Stock class.
wt. break= 10.60 - 11.29....
1966 Dodge Dart 273/275 (D-Dart)
1966 Ford Mustang 289/271 (K-Code)
1965 Mercury Comet 289/271 (K-Code)
1966 Mercury Comet 289/271 (K-Code)
1966 Mercury Cyclone GT convertible 390/335
1966 Chevrolet Biscayne 396/325
1966 Chevrolet Malibu 327/275
1966 Ford Fairlane GT convertible 390/335
1961 Corvette 283/270 dual-quad (#CU-code engine)
1962 Dodge and Plymouth 361/305
Found most class winners were running 13.80's. The D/S record for the
early part of 66' was 13.19, then 13.09, then 12.96, then the Musser
Brothers out of Pennsylvania trashed it with a 12.78 in August 66, with
their 61' Corvette.
PC
Old 11-29-2009, 04:05 PM   #108
bill dedman
VIP Member

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts

Thanks, Paul; I'm sure you're right...
Old 11-29-2009, 05:04 PM   #109
Alex Denysenko

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

Paul, that little clutch assembly was the most worthless POS ever placed behind any V-8.
Leave it to Mopar.
I don't doubt you on some obscure 8.75 in prior 67 A bodies, but I can tell you that I have never seen one. First A body I ever laid eyes on with a 8.75 was a 67 Dart GT 383 4 speed that a friend had bought new. I helped him change the third member using two bumper jacks circa 1969. Boy was I a dumb kid.
Mopar used right and left wheel stud threads through 1969. 1970 they went to all right hand.
Also all A bodies had 7/16 studs like a chebbie through 1969.

Bill, I had to work on them all day long, so I had no desire to work on them in my "fun" time too. Besides, they were just to unreliable.
My employer at the time even offered me a brand new 340 Demon to race at their expense and I declined.

Paul, you are incorrect on the 66 Comet 289/271 Hipo. That engine combo was only available in Mustangs after 1965. Nothing else.
Alex Denysenko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 08:56 PM   #110
KMachine

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Denysenko View Post

My employer at the time even offered me a brand new 340 Demon to race at their expense and I declined.

Why didn't you take that offer?
KMachine is offline   Reply With Quote