HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Class Racer Builds

Old 07-30-2019, 05:11 PM   #171
Larry Hill
Live Reporter

Liked 9,414 Times in 1,950 Posts
Default Re: Dumbo The Flying Elephant

I'm about recovered from my suicide drill in La., food was great and the OPC beer was perfect. Looking at the dyno sheets the car will require a transmission change, converter change, I think the 5.13 will do for a start. Hp is up but torque varies almost a 100 ft/lbs compared to the stump pulling power of the six pack. Oh Boy a new learning curve, shift points will be way different due to the drastic change in the torque curve. Keep your fingers crossed!
Larry Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 05:26 PM   #172
doglover44
VIP Member

Liked 393 Times in 181 Posts

What's next Larry ?
Old 08-03-2019, 09:38 PM   #173
Larry Hill
Live Reporter

Today should have been great, Chris and I were working together. We have not done that in a while. Plan of attack : me work on engine until he arrives then we remove the front bumper cover so we can install engine, converter, and trans. First we decide to check all bolt torque on rear suspension and mark each one that we check. I don't want anything exciting happing on the way down the track.

With the engine being quite tall I had to add links to the lifting chain, spreader bar. When installing the engine the dip stick is in the way, raise it back up and remove dip stick and plug hole. lowering the engine ,we think, is the last time only to see the new alternator bracket not allowing the motor mount to be attached. I worked on the work around for bracket and mount until it was no fun. Then I turned out the lights and quit. When it not fun I will quit
Old 08-04-2019, 06:16 AM   #174
Larry Hill
Live Reporter

Its 5:15 AM having coffee I will be in shop by 5:45 AM.
Old 08-04-2019, 09:44 PM   #175
Larry Hill
Live Reporter

8:30 and just finished supper. Left the shop at 8m. The junk CSR puts out and sells made it a very long day. The stuff did not fit within a half a hole. You can't even put the bolts in and have them be 90* to anything. If its modified CSR will not recertify. If CSR would QC check the shield it would not be necessary to modify. News Flash CSR " Almost rite is still WRONG!"

Time to get cleaned up and ready for bed, so I can do it all again tomorrow, starting bright and early
Old 08-06-2019, 06:45 AM   #176
Larry Hill
Live Reporter

It's amazing how a good night sleep changes a persons outlook on a problem that was so large yesterday. Me using poor judgement almost ruined the threads in the aluminum block where the trans mounts. The fix was remove casting flashing from the trans. Smooth the depressions for the bolts in trans bellhousing. Remove steel bushings and give them .015'' more radial clearance. Slot the shield to move bushing to the centerline of the bolt hole. Enlarging the hole in the shield wont work because the bushing will fall out during installation. The shield floats on the bushings. Straighten the damaged threads in the block. Clean threaded holes, examine bolts for burs and damage threads, repair if necessary, antiseaze, and test fit. Install trans and install bolts with fingers at least four turns in, to verify bolts are not cross threaded. What could be more simple than that?

Does anyone make a locking dip stick that bolts up to a 727 with a shield installed, that does not require modification?

Play time is over back to work!
Old 08-06-2019, 08:32 AM   #177
Mike Pearson
VIP Member

Liked 1,640 Times in 507 Posts

Wow sure sounds like you have had your hands full with this build. Most anything I buy for my car requires some "fitting". I am sure it will be worth the effort when its all done and on the track racing. Best of luck getting it wrapped up for Bowling Green and Indy.
Old 08-06-2019, 08:42 AM   #178
denbreeden

Liked 77 Times in 34 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Hill View Post
It's amazing how a good night sleep changes a persons outlook on a problem that was so large yesterday. Me using poor judgement almost ruined the threads in the aluminum block where the trans mounts. The fix was remove casting flashing from the trans. Smooth the depressions for the bolts in trans bellhousing. Remove steel bushings and give them .015'' more radial clearance. Slot the shield to move bushing to the centerline of the bolt hole. Enlarging the hole in the shield wont work because the bushing will fall out during installation. The shield floats on the bushings. Straighten the damaged threads in the block. Clean threaded holes, examine bolts for burs and damage threads, repair if necessary, antiseaze, and test fit. Install trans and install bolts with fingers at least four turns in, to verify bolts are not cross threaded. What could be more simple than that?

Does anyone make a locking dip stick that bolts up to a 727 with a shield installed, that does not require modification?

Play time is over back to work!
I think mine is a Lokar, flexible braided line for the tube. I'll try and send a picture of mine.

Dennis Breeden
denbreeden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 09:59 AM   #179
Larry Hill
Live Reporter

Thanks
Old 08-06-2019, 04:43 PM   #180
Mack Reeves

Liked 45 Times in 14 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by denbreeden View Post
I think mine is a Lokar, flexible braided line for the tube. I'll try and send a picture of mine.

Dennis Breeden
Larry, mine is a Lokar as well.. One thing is make sure the full line is really full.. I burnt two trannys up before realizing full on the dip stick isn't really full.. I took the tranny pan off and marked the dip stick at the base of the tranny.. Took a file to it.. Now fill to that mark.. all has been well since.. Just what happened to me.. Mack
Liked