HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Nostalgia Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 02-01-2012, 04:58 PM   #91
Hemi Moose
VIP Member

Liked 11 Times in 11 Posts
Default Re: A990 Super Stockers

Here's the '65 A990 Plymouth Belvedere called 'Big Red'...

Last edited by Hemi Moose; 12-21-2012 at 11:02 PM.
Hemi Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 05:18 PM   #92
Hemi Moose
VIP Member

Here are some before & after shots of a '65 A990 Coronet called the 'Virginia Twister'...

Last edited by Hemi Moose; 03-20-2012 at 12:00 AM.
Old 02-01-2012, 06:25 PM   #93
Hemi Moose
VIP Member

Here's a few of the '65 A990 Dodge Coronet "hardtop" not sedan called Color Me Gone...

Last edited by Hemi Moose; 12-30-2012 at 04:00 PM.
Old 02-01-2012, 07:02 PM   #94
X-TECH MAN
Banned

Liked 235 Times in 110 Posts

The 2 hardtops shown here were the 2% altered wheelbase A/FX cars ran at the NHRA Winter Nationals in 65. Note the 10 inch tires and the taller hood scoops used on all of the 10/15 inch AWB cars.
X-TECH MAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 01:09 AM   #95
Geerhead55
VIP Member

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Wink Re: A990 Super Stockers

[]
I took that shot of the Jenkins & Serpa '65 Plymouth at Seattle in '85,,, don't know the history of the car or who it belonged to originally,,, or whats happened to it since then. I just remember it being a good working car that I liked and I was waiting for the DeFrank & Cohen Cuda to come up in the next pair, as you can see.
Danny Durham

Last edited by Geerhead55; 03-31-2012 at 01:25 PM.
Geerhead55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 03:02 PM   #96
Hemi Moose
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-TECH MAN View Post
The 2 hardtops shown here were the 2% altered wheelbase A/FX cars ran at the NHRA Winter Nationals in 65. Note the 10 inch tires and the taller hood scoops used on all of the 10/15 inch AWB cars.
Yes I've read that Chrysler started off with 6 Dodge hardtops and 6 Plymouth hardtops and converted them for the altered wheelbase modifications for Super Stock but were quickly moved into the A/FX class...now as for those 4 early hardtops built they were still considered 2% cars because they still haven't received the full 10 inch front &15 inch rear wheel treatment...they were also acid dipped to make them even lighter, but I've heard conflicting stories on which cars were actually really acid dipped. Most of the old articles say that the 6 Dodges and 6 Plymouths were acid dipped but Landy was the only one to neutralize his hardtop...My question is if they were all acid dipped then that means these 4 early hardtops were already built to race and were on the tracks as seen in the photos above...then were all stripped down and acid dipped, then rebuilt into altered wheelbase cars along with the other remaining dipped bodies and built by the teams with factory support or Amblewagon another company that was in business that built them...does any of that make sense.

Last edited by Hemi Moose; 03-20-2012 at 12:00 AM.
Old 02-02-2012, 04:39 PM   #97
austin49

Liked 5 Times in 1 Post

The elephant ears on the Gene's Speed Shop were actually installed in 1976. We ran the car in B/MP in Canada. We acquired the car from Ed Miller in the spring of '71
austin49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 11:55 AM   #98
Hemi Moose
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geerhead55 View Post
I took that shot of the Jenkins & Serpa '65 Plymouth at Seattle in '85,,, don't know the history of the car or who it belonged to originally,,, or whats happened to it since then. I just remember it being a good working car that I liked and I was waiting for the DeFrank & Cohen Cuda to come up in the next pair, as you can see.
Danny Durham
Danny, you took some nice shots back in the day...did you ever get your own photo album made up for these old photos of yours on webshots or photobucket, so other people can link to them and post them on Forums like this one...I know there are some people that don't like it when other people use their photos, but there are some that don't mind. At least they had the foresight to take these great shots back then so people today could enjoy seeing them...so to all the great photographers from back then, good job guys and thanks for the memories...it's better that some of the old hot rod magazine coverage back then.
Old 02-03-2012, 04:24 PM   #99
Geerhead55
VIP Member

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Wink Re: A990 Super Stockers

HM,,, I miss the days before the concrete barriers went up and the average fan had a decent chance of getting a good shot now and then. Actually, that photo, among others is from a collection I sent in to Bob Rice a few years back and was put into Smug Mug by him. Hes got another collection of some of my later stuff right now which hasn't been processed at this time,, a lot of Mopar stuff in those pictures also, but all of it is Stock and Superstock. I'm still going to get this thing figured out on posting pics, just haven't made time to pound it into my thick skull. Love the posts you and Paul and the others have got going in here,,,great to look back. I'm really amazed at what people can come up with.
Tale care,,,,, Danny Durham
Geerhead55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 05:58 PM   #100
Hemi Moose
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregwho View Post
Actually, Walt never owned my car and it never sat in his yard. Boy that's a good one! Walt was a mentor of mine in those days at Chrysler. I spent allot of time "picking his brain" he is a great guy and was always willing to share the info I was looking for.
This car was originally a "doner" car for an altered WB car built at Branster's shop for Roger Lindamood. The car was originally "given" to Ron Mancini as a body in white roller. Ron didn't do anything with it, he was building his 68 Dart and Hoover decided I could put it to good use. I got the car with a crashed 65 4 door car for $300 from Ron.
I put the car together with all my own stuff. Don't get me wrong, Allot of good people at Chrysler helped me learn real fast what I needed to know to screw a competitive car together and have a shot. I am forever great full for everyone that helped and the great friendships that have endured.
Hope this helps, I don't blog much but when I ran across this "description" I had to try and set it straight.
Greg
So do you own this car now, if so how long have you had it...tell us more about the Dick Branster connection or the Mancini's, do you have any good stories from back then that you might recall.

Last edited by Hemi Moose; 02-04-2012 at 06:08 PM.