HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > .90 Heads Up Class Racing Tech
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 09-18-2011, 12:57 AM   #11
Adger Smith
VIP Member

Liked 690 Times in 268 Posts
Default Re: Pinch valve question?

Ray,
We are actually using the term pinch valve incorrectly in this throttle stop application. It is usually a needle valve used to control the air flow.
Needle Valves

The needle valve is used specifically for accurately controlling the flow of fluids at low flows. The valve is basically a globe valve without the disc. It is generally used provided in small sizes of up to 20mm bore..

This is a good example of a pinch valve:
Pinch Valves

The pinch valve is a theoretically ideal solution for fluid on-off duties. The valve is simple a length of pipe made from an elastomeric material with a mechanical system for squeezing the tube closed when a shut off is required. The valve is a true full bore valve - there are no mechanical parts in contact with the fluid- The operation of the valve is ideally simple- The valve can be easily engineered as a tight-shut off valve..

The valve is often supplied with the pinch tube contained within a outer pipe between the end flanges. This option provides a method of monitoring for tube leaks and provides a degree of secondary containment

The valve has similar limitations to the diaphragm valve. The diaphragm valve is really a variation on the pinch valve principles.. Pinch valves are supplied is for diameters 25 mm - 1000 mm, temperatures -50 C - +160 C, and pressures 0 - 100 bar.

Sorry can't get the pictures to copy.
Old 09-18-2011, 12:27 PM   #12
CBS
VIP Member

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts

Speculate all you want.....but put a linear potentiometer on the cylinder and connect it to your racepak......then you will know if it's consistent....
CBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 11:45 PM   #13
Chris Williams

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBS View Post
Speculate all you want.....but put a linear potentiometer on the cylinder and connect it to your racepak......then you will know if it's consistent....
I have a TPS sensor, logged in my racepak, and I have just looked back at 20+ runs on my Biondo stop, and it comes of the stop at exactly the same rate in each one. This is a small data set, admittedly, but I'm satisfied. I will keep an eye on it, because of this discussion, but I'm thinking is is a tempest in a teapot.
Old 09-19-2011, 08:49 AM   #14
Bill Baer

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBS View Post
I have Rock and mine isn't (But what I don't understand yet is why?)

Last edited by Bill Baer; 09-19-2011 at 08:52 AM.
Bill Baer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 11:49 AM   #15
C and W Racing

Liked 10 Times in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Baer View Post
I have Rock and mine isn't (But what I don't understand yet is why?)
My guess would be that you have it opening up too slow. I had an issue with mine being inconsistant and spoke to Gary at 1 Stop and he had told me that. He told me how to set it properly because it needs to open back up within a specific amount of time, too slow and it will be enconsistant. Going off of memory (and that leaves a lot to be desired) I think he said it needs to be no slower than 6 tenths of a second. I hope this helps
Chuck
C and W Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 12:06 PM   #16
Chris Williams

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

FWIW, here's five runs of ours. This is rpms coming off the stop with our Biondo stop. Only appreciable difference is the setting of the timer.

Old 09-19-2011, 01:08 PM   #17
Bill Baer

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by C and W Racing View Post
My guess would be that you have it opening up too slow. I had an issue with mine being inconsistant and spoke to Gary at 1 Stop and he had told me that. He told me how to set it properly because it needs to open back up within a specific amount of time, too slow and it will be enconsistant. Going off of memory (and that leaves a lot to be desired) I think he said it needs to be no slower than 6 tenths of a second. I hope this helps
Chuck
Thanks CW that's the kind of info I am looking for mine is a lot slower than .6 actually it's in the .85-.87 range so per your experience and Gary's advice it sounds like I need to open the air control needle (i.e. pinch) valve to speed up the opening to the .5 to .6 range. I'll give it a try! again thanks.
Old 09-19-2011, 02:05 PM   #18
CBS
VIP Member

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts

sounds like you guys are on the right track.....bump the trace over so the lines are on top of each other...then you can see if it's acting the same.....just keep trying stuff till they lay on top of each other.....I have a pile of stops because of it........

Rock
CBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 03:37 PM   #19
CBS jr

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Williams View Post
FWIW, here's five runs of ours. This is rpms coming off the stop with our Biondo stop. Only appreciable difference is the setting of the timer.

I hate to tell you those are shyt.
CBS jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 03:40 PM   #20
Chris Williams

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBS jr View Post
I hate to tell you those are shyt.
Thank you for your thoughtful input.