HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Factory Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-07-2016, 04:17 PM   #11
Rory McNeil
VIP Member

Liked 948 Times in 262 Posts
Default Re: Gear ratio & clutch recommendation

Quote:
Originally Posted by tj310 View Post
We've run , and worn out aluminum stuff. I don't think it is worth the extra money , unless you'r looking for that last bit to qualify at that 1 race of the year, and you bump the launch to 8 grand.
---Trevor
Were you running aluminum flywheels with riveted on steel heat shields, or running non replaceable surfaces? Both my cars use McLeod Soft Lok clutches with aluminum flywheels, and I normally go 2 full seasons between clutch rebuilds, which includes replacing the heat shields on the flywheels and pressure plates. With the M/Stock combo, I did try a 25 lb steel flywheel for a while, but the aluminum flywheel was always faster, (unless you had too much clutch, and pulled the engine RPM down too much), plus you only get so many grinds out of a steel flywheel, where the aluminum flywheel can have the head shields replaced over & over. Neither of my cars have ever seen 7000 RPM on launch, let alone 8 grand. Normally I launch either car between 5800-6600 RPM, depending on combo and conditions.