HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Tech > Support Tech
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-15-2012, 09:08 PM   #1
Tar Heel

Default towing with a 4.8L?

We just picked up a 2001 GMC extended cab 1500 2WD with the 4.8L. We needed a truck and found a deal locally on a very, very clean low-mileage vehicle that we couldn't pass up. We'd like to tow a 3200lb. race car in 20' enclosed trailer that will weigh approximately the same as the race car. We don't have any extras like a 4-wheeler, spare engine, transmission, etc. ... just a small toolbox. Total weight will be about 6500lbs. which I believe it the maximum the truck/engine is rated. It didn't come with a tow package so I'll put a good transmission cooler on it and use a nice sway bar package of course. We live in East Texas and will mostly race local so everything is flat and we don't plan to tow terribly long distances. Can those with experience with a 4.8 let me know what to expect? I haven't purchased a trailer yet and if it is going to be too much or unsafe I'll go to Big Tex and get a nice open trailer.

Thanks.