HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 01-11-2009, 02:20 PM   #1
X-TECH MAN
Banned

Liked 235 Times in 110 Posts
Wink $$$$$$$$

While the thread about "Crate Engines" is very intertainning (has been for me....lol) why dont some of you expend the same kind of energy in trying to figure out ways to increase the pay outs, and/or better conditions (round money, win and runner up, sheduling, pitting, tear downs, classes, stick vs auto,etc.). Maybe you could talk Alex into putting on another U.S. CLASS NATIONALS ??? Or several of them across the country. THAT was without a doubt the best race I ever went to. Maybe some who were there will remember it. Maybe the timing was wrong when it came about but it DID make NHRA and IHRA sit up and pay attention at the time. East vs West. North vs South. NO @&%* Pro cars to oil down the track. All the banter back and forth wont change the way racers feel about one class or another. Some like blueberry and some like strawberry. NHRA has thier way and IHRA has thier way....face it. Take your pick. I personally like ALL of it. The sportsman classes are just a filler for the Pro's and a convienant way to squeeze money from everyone in both associations and they couldnt care less about you. All of the record keeping, specs. tear downs, etc. are a drain on manpower and cost them money. If these bracket races can put on a race and pay what they pay out then so could the racing associations and/or circuit type race for sportsman racers. Yeah the presteage of winning the Nationals wont be there but I personally would rather win some good money instead a kick in the ***. It takes a lot of money to run these cars every year and wouldnt it be nice to at least break even once in awhile? Comments are welcome......lol.
X-TECH MAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 02:30 PM   #2
Alan Roehrich
VIP Member

Liked 1,126 Times in 297 Posts
Default Re: $$$$$$$$

Terry,
That thread, and dozens like it, are exactly why there are no big money races, and no respect from the sanctioning bodies. But then, being a couple decades older than me, with the attending experience, you knew that, didn't you.
Old 01-11-2009, 03:16 PM   #3
X-TECH MAN
Banned

Cool Re: $$$$$$$$

I doubt that threads like these really have anything to do with pay outs. They dont respect the sportsman racers anyway even 20-30 years ago. Its because everyone keeps going to thier races and paying out the butt for memberships, entry fee's, and paying for the salaries of the over paid people in charge in the "IVORY" tower.
Old 01-11-2009, 03:36 PM   #4
Alan Roehrich
VIP Member

Liked 1,126 Times in 297 Posts

Terry,
The point was, as obviously proven out in that thread, and others like it, is that class racers will not band together and stick to it, to promote their own best interests. That thread, by itself, of course, ignores the issues of payouts, tear downs, pits, entry fees, contingency awards, and most other issues.
Old 01-11-2009, 04:05 PM   #5
X-TECH MAN
Banned

Thumbs up Re: $$$$$$$$

I agree with you 100%.....Most (not all) have thier own agendas. Its been that way even before the use of home computers and this racers site. The U.S. CLASS NATIONALS that Alex put on will sadly most likely be a one time happening. With the economy the way it is there will be less and less money going back to the racers. Only the rich with large egos will survive.

Last edited by X-TECH MAN; 01-11-2009 at 04:26 PM.
Old 01-11-2009, 04:14 PM   #6
SS Engine Guy

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

US Class Nationals: Best race I ever attended also. Was greeted and thanked for coming as I entered the gate and again thanked for attending when leaving. Hot as hell and sandy pits made me think that there would be marginal traction. Wrong! Redman kept the starting line hooking all through qualifying and elims. If a car turned a tire, racing was shut down and the starting line prepped. Rans were within .002 on 60 thru qualifying, class, quick 32 and elims on 6 customers cars. Air was terrible as temps were over 100 degrees thru the whole weekend. On Thursday the head of tech came to trailers and did a very thorough tech inspection for those who arrived early. Down time was practically non existant as cars were going down the track from opening to curfew. Spectators were there in good numbers Fri.Sat.Sun. blankets and picnic lunches spread out all over the hillside on the far side of the track. Payouts were good and logical (as in parts that S/SS racers actually use). Most contingency sponsors had at least one rep there. The several I spoke with were more than pleased at the success of the event. Racers I spoke with over the weekend were pleased and surprised by the attendance. The lanes and pairing was accomplished in a logical and timely fashion because people that had actually raced were handling those duties. I was surprised at the lack of attendance of the traveling pros considering the payout, but maybe there was another race somewhere? I was surprised that some tech officials that were asked to participate were told by their bosses to decline. I was surprised that all time runs and elims started according to schedule due to the number of cars entered and being a first time for the US Class Nationals. Apparantly people that have actally raced in competition know how to run a race and conduct business. I'm sure that everything behind the scenes wasn't perfect and I'm sure that everyone was not 100% satisfied but the majority seemed to be having a great time and seemed to be in a racing frame of mind.
SS Engine Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 04:32 PM   #7
X-TECH MAN
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS Engine Guy View Post
US Class Nationals: Best race I ever attended also. On Thursday the head of tech came to trailers and did a very thorough tech inspection for those who arrived early..
UH.....that was me.....I thought I was going to die from the heat but we wanted to make sure everyone had the chance to get in every time run as possable instead of waiting in a long tech line.
Old 01-12-2009, 11:31 AM   #8
buzzinhalfdozen

Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts

I think the originator of this thread has a very good point, does it really matter to most of the racers that they are competing at an N or an I race? I hear alot about so called agendas, not quite sure what is meant by that other than the desire to win which I think most all racers have. I'm sure there are some people out there that are concerned with protecting their class, that's fine but really WHY DO WE RACE? For the money,for the trophy or for the self satisfaction of making a vehicle do something that no one else can? Myself I could care less if the race were put on by Oprah it's the competition and the desire to make it better that keeps me going. Face it what other sport reqires so much effort and expense and returns so little? I think a independently run series would be great I can hardly read a thread post that someone isn't going on about how badly they feel their being treated by N or I, so why keep going? what is it about racing that makes us go to a race where we know we're going to leave feeling we were wronged? Plain and simple I think for most it's the competition, what else could make us keep going back just to be "slapped around by the santioning bodies? I know there are some people on this message board that would have the contacts and desire to put something like a "Class Nationals" together I'm not one of them, I would however offer my support to it. If everyone would just check their ego's we are basically very expensive bracket racers. Wish someone would put as much effort into providing a viable solution to what appears to be a universal complaint " no respect, low payout, ran as filler ect." than to just keep repeating what the problem is. Joe
Old 01-12-2009, 12:05 PM   #9
Jim Woods

Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts
Smile Re: $$$$$$$$

Joe,
you are correct, the ssssa was formed due to those concerns, there are also many other associations with the exact same values. It is up to the racers to support these organizations. there will always be people who would find something to complain about no matter what. life is too short to be unhappy and miserable at what someone feels is not right, Either adjust things and enjoy it or get out, Most racers want to have fun again going to the races. When I started out it was a blast , then it got to the point where it owned me and it was like a job and I thought if I didnt race , then they would cancel the race if I didnt showup. Low and behold business stopped me from racing for a couple of years, when I returned I enjoyed it more than ever . The stock/superstock racers are truly the heroes of our sport and deserve to be the attraction and not the filler, It is very refreshing to hear fans come up to the ssssa officers and tell us what a great time they had watching s/ss battle it out. Many times i've been told how really nice and cordial the s/ss racers are. So lets all band together and keep the class racing fun for everyone.