HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 01-06-2010, 10:26 PM   #1
bert powell

Liked 33 Times in 11 Posts
Question legal qjet

Are the Ram air qjets with the small boosters legal for any application as long as the throttle bores are the same? I know at one time, everyone was looking for them but thought I read on here recently that I read they were now illegal.

Also- does anyone still have saved the Danny Ashley Qjet thread from a few years back? Was very informative and I have misplaced my printed out copy. Thanks!
bert powell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 10:41 PM   #2
Danny Ashley

Liked 91 Times in 23 Posts
Default Re: legal qjet

Bert,
The 1971 single booster Pontiac Q-Jets are only legal on the engines that they came on as I was told by an NHRA tech man. Post or send me your E-Mail address and I'll send you the Q-Jet 101 articles. My E-Mail is ashley74@comteck.com
Danny Ashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 12:52 AM   #3
Jeff Lee
VIP Member

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

That's not consistent with the various types of boosters that are mix-and-matched in Holley carb applications.
Old 01-07-2010, 08:04 AM   #4
Billy Nees
VIP Member

Liked 6,840 Times in 1,535 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lee View Post
That's not consistent with the various types of boosters that are mix-and-matched in Holley carb applications.
And there you have another perfect example of NHRA selectively applying their rules! Intentionally or not.

Reality, what a concept!
Billy Nees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 01:16 PM   #5
Jeff Lee
VIP Member

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Nees View Post
And there you have another perfect example of NHRA selectively applying their rules! Intentionally or not.
I would use the argument about the Holley allowance on the Q-Jet, AVS, AFB, or whatever you run. My understanding is all NHRA cares about is venturi and throttle blade size with no porting or polishing. Fuel inlet location or angle is no longer an issue on a q-jet. Guess you still have to run the choke plate.
I'm sure you've seen more than one Holley 4bbl in tech with no concerns about thinned boosters.
Old 01-07-2010, 07:41 PM   #6
Tony Curcio

Liked 4 Times in 1 Post

To clarify the question- most Q-Jets have a booster as well as a ring around the booster. The only exception is a Pontiac Ram Air carburetor from one year only (1971). That particular throttle body is sought after by collectors, and the last I heard, cores were selling at about $1,000.

The removal of this ring adds about 50 cfm to the flow, probably a lot more than changing booster sizes or angles in a Holley. The use of the Ram Air throttle body would have clearly been illegal before the rule change that allowed any carb with the same throttle blade and venturi diameter. It is less clear now, as the rule book addresses only the throttle blade and venturi sizes.

Danny- when did you have this conversation with an NHRA tech man- recently?

Last edited by Tony Curcio; 01-07-2010 at 07:47 PM.
Tony Curcio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 10:08 PM   #7
Danny Ashley

Liked 91 Times in 23 Posts

Tony:
If memory serves me correctly, It was at the 2007 U.S. Nationals. I had always believed, as you, that because the venturi measured 1.093 and the throttle blades were 1.375 & 2.250 that these Q-Jets were legal for any engine that required these specifications. I don't think the ruling has changed, but if anyone is serious about running one of these, then you should contact your division director. Not all single boosters came on the Ram Air and H-O engines. The most common number is 7041263 that came on the low performance 400 & 455. 7041267 & 7041268 were on H-O's and 7041270 & 7041273 were the Ram Air's. The 263's can be bought for a lot less than the others. Danny
Danny Ashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 12:22 AM   #8
Glenn Hayes

Liked 18 Times in 12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny Ashley View Post
send me your E-Mail address and I'll send you the Q-Jet 101 articles. My E-Mail is ashley74@comteck.com

Sent you and email Danny !