HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Nostalgia Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 05-13-2012, 04:55 PM   #1
Hemi Moose
VIP Member

Liked 11 Times in 11 Posts
Default Chevrolet Racing, the early years.

The 1963 Fastback Novas...

In 1963, Chevrolet created three fastback Novas for road race competition. The Novas were all convertibles pulled from the regular production line. They were then shipped to the Corvette plant for the addition of fiberglass parts. The doors, inner panels, front fenders, hood and both front and rear bumpers were all 'glass. The new roof and fastback was also made of fiberglass and bonded to the metal. The fastback covered what would have been the trunk lid and blocked all access to the trunk area from the outside.

After a 1963 Corvette independent rear suspension was also added, the cars were shipped to Bill Thomas in California. Chevrolet also shipped the "Mystery Motors", that later ended up with Smokey Yunick, to Bill to be installed in the Novas. Bills job was to install the engines and setup the suspension for road racing. Before the Novas could be completed, GM put a ban on all factory racing.

GM ordered the cars crushed but Bill worked out a deal to keep the cars as payment for his work. The engines were sent back to Chevrolet and then to Smokey Yunick in Florida. He then sold one Nova to Fritz Callier, a Chevrolet dealer in Dallas,to be drag raced. Another one was sold to a Los Angeles Chevrolet dealer who drag raced it for less than two months before crashing it and totally destroying it. The third was sold to Alan Green Chevrolet in Seattle.

Alan Green also drag raced the Nova with driver Dick Milner and crew chief Tom Foster. Green, Milner and Foster raced the Nova at drag strips throughout the northwest United States and western Canada from 1963 until 1967. During one race the fastback roof blew off at 155 mph. The team then ventilated the rear section to keep the car from wanting to fly above 150 mph.

These fastback Novas sport a roof line similar to, but predating, that of the Plymouth Barracuda, AMC Marlin, 1966 Dodge Charger and about half of the late-1960's-era Fords. Fastbacks were popular with buyers in the later 60's, but aerodynamic efficiency on the race track was the main concern of Chevrolet engineers. Ironically, even though they were built to be road raced, all three of the fastback Novas spent almost their entire racing lives on the drag strip.

http://www.novaresource.org/history.htm

Last edited by Hemi Moose; 05-13-2012 at 05:05 PM.
Hemi Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 08:10 AM   #2
Billy Nees
VIP Member

Liked 7,194 Times in 1,609 Posts
Default Re: Chevrolet Racing, the early years.

For what it's worth, in 1974 I went to an older mans home in Parsippany N.J. to see about buying a 67 Z-28 that he had for sale. When I got there he told me that he had 2 67 Z-28s that he and his brother had bought new. The one that he wanted to sell was pretty rusty and, at the time, not worth his asking price (hindsite?) but we had a nice conversation and he showed me his other toys. That's where this story gets good. He takes me into a garage and there sits a phonebooth T and a fastback Chevy II ! It was in primer and had an injected big block in it. And I have no idea what happened to it, I never saw it again.

I'm OK..........it's everybody else.
Billy Nees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 11:17 AM   #3
Lyn Smith
VIP Member

Liked 889 Times in 166 Posts
Talking Re: Chevrolet Racing, the early years.

I always thought the 63 Nova fastback was a split window!!!!!!LOL
Lyn Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 01:00 PM   #4
Hemi Moose
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Nees View Post
For what it's worth, in 1974 I went to an older mans home in Parsippany N.J.......That's where this story gets good. He takes me into a garage and there sits a phonebooth T and a fastback Chevy II ! It was in primer and had an injected big block in it. And I have no idea what happened to it, I never saw it again.
Can you remember anymore details about the fastback Nova, any traces of old paint, any other body modifications, what type of mag wheels were on it, etc.
Old 05-14-2012, 01:22 PM   #5
Hemi Moose
VIP Member

Anyway here's a couple of shots of a Ray Doyan's fastback Nova...also notice the Nova emblem on the quarter panel.

Last edited by Hemi Moose; 05-14-2012 at 08:55 PM.
Old 05-14-2012, 07:24 PM   #6
Charlie A
VIP Member

Liked 87 Times in 63 Posts

San Antonio Tx. The CKC car.

Last edited by Charlie A; 05-14-2012 at 07:39 PM.
Charlie A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 07:27 PM   #7
Billy Nees
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi Moose View Post
Can you remember anymore details about the fastback Nova, any traces of old paint, any other body modifications, what type of mag wheels were on it, etc.
Nope, too many years gone by. It was gray primer with no hood scoop and injector stacks through the hood.

Old 05-14-2012, 08:25 PM   #8
Hemi Moose
VIP Member

Huston Platt in the Dixie Twister...

Old 05-15-2012, 07:23 AM   #9
Billy Nees
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi Moose View Post
Huston Platt in the Dixie Twister...

If I had to take a guess, I would say that the car I saw was this one. It did have a straight axle and it had a 65 grille in it.

Old 05-15-2012, 08:25 AM   #10
Lyn Smith
VIP Member

Liked 889 Times in 166 Posts

It has the 65 SS only side moldings,and wheel opening moldings.the molding behind the rear wheel looks to be stretched also.The early funny cars had to be at least a 65 model ,so may be they changed a 63 to a 65 with the trim.
Lyn Smith is offline   Reply With Quote