View Single Post
Old 01-24-2010, 12:27 AM   #5
Stephen & Horace Johnson

Liked 148 Times in 46 Posts
Default Re: Copo Camaros

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Kilduff View Post
Stephen/Horace,

I don't claim to be a first generation Camaro expert, but I have heard and read that there might have been 900 or more 427/425hp COPO 1969camaros made. The Yenko SC COPOs were probably the most famous, and there were either 198 or 201 of the Yenkos made. There is some debate about that number officially.

Then there were other dealers getting in on the COPO 427/425 thing too...I think Baldwin Motion and Berger were a couple of them.

The 427/425 HP in a Camaro was -I think- option RPO L72 and was definately an iron block. The 427/425HP was also available in '69 chevelles.

The only aluminum block 427 available in the 69 camaro was the ZL-1 which was ordered by Fred Gibb if memory serves correct. There were 69 ZL-1 camaros produced. He had a heck of a time selling them and I think Chevrolet either bought some back or redistributed them to other dealers. I think the ZL-1 was about a $4000 option. This engine was I thin developed for CAN-AM racing back in the late 60's.

I do think there are several 427-425 HP cars in SS. I think but am not sure Brian Oakes runs that combo, and maybe Jack Sepanek and a few others, I think most of the 69 camaros running in SS/C would be the 427-425hp as that combo is a natural D, which was originally a Corvette engine package. The ZL-1 I think is a natural B car.

Like I said, I don't claim to be an expert on the subject, but I have read a fair amount about the COPO Camaros over the years and what I wrote should be kinda sorta close. Might not be exact.

And, I too saw the B-J auction for the COPO 69 camaro.....I have never heard of an RS COPO Camaro.Most if not all of the COPOS I recall were basically base model type cars.

COPO stood for Central Office Production Order...GM had a ban on all cars besides the Corvette getting the real high HP engines. Some dealers found a loophole for lack of a better term with the COPO thing....the real job of the COPO deal was for fleet vehicles. I am thinking Vince Piggins at Chevrolet kinda worked things for some dealers to get Vette engines in non Vette cars.

So was Dick Ogle's old 69 Camaro that he used to run in SS/B a COPO version before he went to the vette? thanks for the info

Stephen Johnson #2162
Horace Johnson #2167
SS/D 427 Ford Fairlane NHRA-IHRA
RecordHolder
Stephen & Horace Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote