View Single Post
Old 06-14-2020, 04:52 PM   #17
Rich Biebel
VIP Member

Liked 510 Times in 200 Posts
Default Re: Onan QG 4000 RPM

The older units have not been produced for about 20 years so any one you buy is at least that old.

The common models were BGE, NHM, NHE

The best ones were with black sheet metal covering the entire unit and they had electronic governors

BGE's are the most common. Usually green. Mechanical governors. Made in 4000-5000 and I think some 6500's

The date the machine was made is in the serial number.....First 4 numbers are year and month...

The older ones had points for ignition mounted in a box on top.

You would generally say the newer versions with electronic ignition triggering are more desirable.....BUT in reality they are not...

Mice love to nest in those units and they get in the control box and the lower portion of the generator itself. The ignition rotor device is plastic and is mounted between the rotor and engine and can and will easily be broken hitting anything the mice pile up in there.

Now you have to split the unit apart to replace the plastic ignition component. It is a flying magnet type...…

A points style unit is immune to that problem and the points are easy to change, clean, adjust.....

The old ones were built when Onan still built their own engines.....Very heavy duty and long life. They do have some issues like carbon buildup and various components that can fail but are good.

I own 2 New style 4000's and my trailer unit has many hours on it and has been fine. I use it anytime I'm racing all day pretty much everyday....

It will power all my lights including 500 watt quartz outside and interior fluorescents.....and a portable compressor....

The 4000 in my Motorhome runs a 15,000 BTU AC and a Microwave and a battery charging converter all at the same time with no problem and power to spare.....

I've seen many older units for sale on various sites and often they are SPRAY PAINT rebuilds......A can of Onan green paint is all they got after getting cleaned up....

Some major components are obsolete for the old ones and that's another problem...…

2000 was about when they stopped building the old flathead style units....

Onan engines were used in a long list of industrial applications. Welders, pumps, machines of all kinds and that basic design engine was made for years and years....
Liked