View Single Post
Old 11-17-2022, 03:00 PM   #26
Alan Roehrich
VIP Member

Liked 1,043 Times in 274 Posts
Default Re: Block Honing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph A Powell View Post
How did we ever get by back in the day? Yesterday I dug out my my OLD BILL JENKINS SA DESIGN BOOK in the block section Jenkins shows how he hand hones an small block and what stones he uses. Don’t know how we ever got by?

I had a pretty close relationship with Jere Stahl the last few years he was around, and as a result, a connection with Bill Jenkins (as in, Jere would tell me that he and Bill were talking about one of my engine programs, and a direction I went with my R&D, and "Bill said to tell you that he thought you were smarter than that" and laugh.) where he would pass along things that he thought that I should look at.

Bill sent me a message one night telling me that we should be using a new Sunnen CNC hone, and we should have individual diamond mandrels for each 0.010" in bore size. That was what they were doing with their engine programs.

Yeah, we've come a long way since he once told me to plumb two Holley blue GPH 110 pumps in series, with 10 gauge wiring, and 0.060" washers under each pressure relief spring in the pumps, because our C/MP popped in high gear. Fixed it, too.

Bill, much like WJ, was absolutely as hilarious as he was brilliant, once you go to know him. But he never hesitated to bust my chops if I screwed up. It was always funny to get "Bill's take on Alan's mistake" from Jere.

Last edited by Alan Roehrich; 11-17-2022 at 03:05 PM.
Alan Roehrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked