View Single Post
Old 07-31-2021, 10:49 PM   #47
Stickshift

Liked 30 Times in 12 Posts
Default Re: No-prep/small-tire/outlaw street racer/social media infl

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6130 View Post
This is not the fault of fuel cars.

In the last 30 years, the NHRA has cultivated the lowest common denominator in spectators. They have turned sanctioned drag racing into pro wrestling. Throngs of ignorant mouth-breathing booger-eating morbidly obese spectators with no actual connection to the sport of drag racing, swill $8 plasic cups of urine-colored semi-fermented rice water marketed by mega-breweries as a potable liquid, and simp celebrity pro-class driver autographs in the pits
I can’t argue that one bit. You are correct. The other side of the same coin is the racers side. The racers who think that all the Super classes appeal to the masses of any IQ. And they do not. IMO there shouldn’t be a Super class or any bracket type class at a National Event. Ever. When you go to see that show, it better be the best show you can produce. Pro Stock cars with rules that would strangle a dinosaur is BORING. Pro Stock Motorcycle is horrible to watch, and I ride and have ridden most of my life.

To that end, electronics and the clutchless transmission have allowed any simple minded dolt to drive these cars. PS is a complete joke. It’s become a driver centric game, and most of the drivers out there couldn’t change a spark plug with a gun to their head.

It’s likely possible (highly probable) that I’m old enough that I know what I don’t like and to have seen Glidden, WJ and a host of others actually work on the stuff they drove. Pretty rare today. And I know the names of those who do work on and drive their stuff. And I don’t like the fly in driver. Never have. Never will.

I’ve been going to drag races since 1966. I still remember flag starts and the very first time clocks ever used at the track I grew up around. So I’ve seen the evolution and devolution of drag racing. I remember when all the electronics hit and I was the lone voice crying out that electronics will be the downfall of Sportsman drag racing. I wasn’t wrong either.

I know as a spectator I have no desire to watch slot car racing or Super class nonsense. As a racer, I want to participate in that sort of thing even less. Which brings me back to the issue at hand.

That is what a fan, most of the fans I know want to see, and that’s heads up racing. Not Pro Stock slot car heads up racing but line your junk up and run it drag racing. In fact, I wager everything I have and a bunch of stuff I don’t have that IF you had a Nation Event and you fixed Pro Stock, got rid of all the bracket type crap and had a small tire and big tire heads up class the stands would be packed when they ran, even with the fuel cars there. I could be wrong, but I doubt I am.

Degrading fans because you think your IQ is superior is a serious personality fault. Professional Wrestling is 100% fiction and yet it is wildly popular. More fans means more more.

Or drag racing can carry on the Wally Parks/NHRA fiction that is drag racing today and it will slowly die off. And then your bracket cars will be worth scrap prices. Or, we can get smart and put on a show the people want to see. No Prep Kings is immensely popular, but drag racing “purists” are above that type of thing. We think it gives drag racing a bad name. Let me clue you in on something. Drag racing had a bad name long before I was born, and not one damn thing Wally Parks or any other sniveling compromiser has done has changed that one iota. Not one.

It’s because when a moron despises what someone else does, you can’t change their opinion or their mind about it. There are folks who absolutely hate that people go to a gun range and shoot targets, or shoot trap. They think it’s a waste and nothing you or I say or do will change that.

And so it is with drag racing. The same simple minded prudes who live in fear of everything from the flu to climate change and every other fiction dreamed up by control freaks that hated drag racing when it started are still around today. They have multiplied through reproduction and increases on an order of magnitude through marxist public education. You can’t unscrew that with a nice attitude and clean team uniforms.
Stickshift is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked