View Single Post
Old 10-14-2021, 12:37 AM   #63
FireSale
VIP Member

Liked 236 Times in 127 Posts
Default Re: Did this just happen no generators?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Wells View Post
The average residential service in the country is 100 Amps, a Tesla charger requires 70 Amp, so while you are charging that car, load shedd, your electric stove, dryer, and heating & cooling system while your charging your car, your refrigerator will probably be alright. Ouch.
Say an average neighborhood is fed say 15 MVA of power, now every one is charging a Tesla at 9000 VA you just added say 3 MVA, now your XFMRs are to small, bigger XFMRs and bigger wires. Now find somebody to do the work, and these XFMRs are not on the shelf, it will take trillions of dollars and years to implement. Hey I am just an Electrician but a lot smarter then most those ivy league idiots in Washington.

Randy Wells
I/S 5628
100 amps is an old house with no electric heat. Our 60's construction home is all electric and does fine on 150 amps. The dryer is a pair of 120s and I can weld off it OK. Those 70-80 amp Tesla chargers are dedicated 240v deals. Overnight chargers are something like 20 amp and serve most users. Those are nice cars. There were several on the highway through the mountains over the weekend including one entered in competition at Renegade Raceway.Didn't see any massive charging setup. Did see a motor home with a large solar array...
Liked