View Single Post
Old 12-10-2011, 12:22 PM   #20
TOM KASCH
VIP Member

Liked 241 Times in 100 Posts
Default Re: Old Camaro Super Stocker

First off thanks for all your conments. It was a great run of 33 yrs.
Well the story goes like this :
In 68 I bought the 67 Camaro thats in the picture called' "Them picking the new car up',
I had my friend J.D. restore the 57 Nomad to tow it with.
I was a salesman in Detroit and I saw it in a lot.
I had just talked to Wally Booth the moring of June3 ,1969 about building the SS 325 hp motor,when calling on a small shop in Detroit I got hit by a run away car in a garge & lost my right leg. I had 3-4 operations on my left leg and we tradedthe 67 for a 40 Willys show car. BUT I always wanted to race again as we had in the 60-s.
J.D. told me we could put hand controls in a Camaro and we should look for one, I just wanted to run INDY Nationals before I lost my left leg.
So I'm standing in my friends gas station asking him if he knows of any, and we hear this big block coming down the street, it pulls into his station with a for sale sign in the window,
I asked "how much"
He says "pay it off" I'm out of work and cann't pay for it. Pay of $ 1200.00
It's a rs/ss 396 -325 car .Rally- green
So we put a cam in it , hooker headers, gear and go to INDy. I just wanted to run INDY< didn't care how fast it went.
The next yr , Ruth drives it as I'm having left leg operations.
We meet Bill Felker and he builds us a engine and sort of join his team of 4 -68 Camaro SS cars.
I drive some in 74 am class r/u at the 74 Sports & Spring nationals.
Have Bill build a real good engine for 75, we get to the 75 Winternationals & NHRA changed the H.p. on 68 396-325 engines, Bills also running a 68, and he says " why don't we look for a 69 That wts more , put the new engine in it and he will run G and I'll run SS/Ha. So thats what we did.
I put the 68 in the back of our garage in Jan.75 and had our son Tony restore it in June of 06 -07 after we sold our last stocker and trailer.
Here's a link to the rebuild, will put more up If you guys want to see some things.
Thanks again ,
Ruth & Tom

http://public.fotki.com/fwd3300/rebuilding-our-68-c/

Last edited by TOM KASCH; 12-10-2011 at 12:25 PM.
TOM KASCH is offline   Reply With Quote