View Single Post
Old 05-02-2011, 09:01 PM   #7
Johnymia Racing

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Showhauler Tire Pressure

Wrong Bucko!!
I have been selling commercial truck tires for 31 years. Manage some of the largest fleets in the Chicagoland area.
How much air pressure you run is directly related to how much weight you are asking the tire to carry. First things first. Find out how much weight is on each axle. You can get that done at any truck scale on the highway. Next you need to check the PLY RATING on the tires you own to see if they are designed to carry your weight. This is one of the biggest issues I run accross when people have issues with failier. They are running tires that were never designed to carry the weight they are subjected to in the first place. Run them a few pounds underinflated and they overheat and go boom! Assuming you have the correct ply rating for the weight you are putting on the axles, the next step is to get ahold of the load inflation table for the brand of tires you have. This will tell you how much air NEEDS to be in the tires to carry your weight. Over inflation is just as bad as underinflation. Yes they will ride better but you also subject your tires to impact breaks and loss of traction on the steers along with potential irregular wear issues. Any tire man who is worth his salt will tell you the same thing. If I can help you with any more info let me know. Also, keep a close eye out for bead cracking or weather checking that is common on M/H tires. They dry rot before they wear out in low mileage units. BE SAFE !!!
Johnymia Racing is offline   Reply With Quote