View Single Post
Old 10-10-2021, 01:47 PM   #46
oldskool
VIP Member

Liked 750 Times in 361 Posts
Default Re: how was stock/super stock ran in the 60's and 70's?

Found this in a post on this old thread. It really brought back memories of when I first raced my '69 GTO, in D/S, back in '73. It was describing racing with a flag start.

"...The spots were actually painted off in the center of the track. Both cars pulled to the line and the starter (flagman) would gesture to the slower car to pull forward. He'd find the appropriate line on the track and stage the slower car there. The fast car staged on the starting line.

...Since the flagman had to be ahead of both cars sometimes the fast car at the line was squinting to see the flagman way down the track..."

A guy would rent an area airstrip & hold Sunday afternoon races there. A little Pinto had won the 1st several races that season. So, they offered a $25 bounty to anyone who could beat him. Well, sure enuff, I drew the pinto. IIRC, his spot was 410 feet !

The shorter spots were marked off on the track. But there were no marks that far down track. So, the flagman sat on the front fender of the Pinto & rode off down the track. He had the Pinto driver stop where he ESTIMATED 410ft to be. Nobody, including him, knew exactly how far it was from the starting line.

Well, that word "squinting" reminded me of that day. I really didn't think I had a chance of catching the Pinto, which was starting that far down the track. So, just for spectator entertainment, I got out of my Goat, shielded my eyes, & looked off down the track, as if trying to focus in on some far away object.

I could just barely see the flag good enuff to tell when it was raised. Although I didn't think I could win, I went ahead & made a full pass. To my surprise, and probably to everybody else's surprise, I passed him right at the line ! I was probably going at least twice his speed.

I don't know if I won because the estimated spot was too short, or not. Anyhow, I got a standing(jumpin & hollerin) ovation as I drove back down by the spectators, & won the $25 bounty.

Yep, this is a true story. It really happened.

This is a pic of the car, in 1973. You can see the tow bar, & the tail end of the '68 Caddy I'd bought to tow it with. Slicks weren't allowed that year. The hard rubber street legal M&H tires I ran are on the rear. I'd removed the narrow fronts, for towing. Hey, I had to start somewhere.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1 - Caddy & GTO  '73.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	303.4 KB
ID:	60646  

Last edited by oldskool; 10-10-2021 at 01:52 PM.
oldskool is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked