View Single Post
Old 04-04-2010, 04:01 PM   #19
Chris "drooze" Wertman
VIP Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Ninjas Caused DP #24 Engine failure....

Quote:
Originally Posted by art leong View Post
I think the rod bolt failure is the cause. Thats a heavy piston and rod. And when they change direction on the end of the exhaust stroke. There is a lot of force to make the change.
Art....I now would agree 100%.....after what Alan, and some others have said, and thinking and rethinking it through, as well as getting the spec on the bolts that were in there, AND yesterday I didnt pull it down, the old man did I was busy with other things, he left 2 rods in and the bolts were in fact "loose" or as gmonde said, well 1 on each "turned" it shouldnt have, no doubts....

Im still a little at a loss as to how exactly I did the valve train damage but if it let loose at the very top of the stroke which it would have well I guess thats where the PTV contact occured....it must have "bounced" then off that valve as there is no other damage to the chamber or piston and headed down to the "rod chipper"

I looked very carefully at the bolt shears 1 is clean the other torn to a 45 degree peak across the plane.

So I may have ovrthought the living ****e out of it, but thats ok......"I get by with a little help from my friends".......and I mean that to all that a)Talked me through, down and over it. b)were constructive and helpful and that was every single response in this thread. every single one......

Thanks to all the CR people and I mean that....

I had only what I have seen before, and it was a "chicken and egg problem" and it didnt meet occams razor, this does and it shows to be true.

The rods are actually round (im suprised I had heard others engines after being run were not) AND the rods didnt break, the bolts did, much easier to find a suitible high tensile replacment than get a rod approved.

I have 2 sets of bolts here (good) I am shocked at how close they measure within .007 each ?!? across 16....maybe its a batch thing. BUT the bolts that came out of the engine ? I quit at 5, I could SEE differences....now I didnt measure them new....but that seems like a lot of variation....Ill bring em in a bag......

2 days ago my daughter warned me what caused it and I didnt listen....we were driving down the road past a stretch of wooded marshlands, she said "daddy I know what lives in there" she exclaimed....I said really, expecting to hear owls , turtles....NINJAS, they live in the TREES ! I almost wrecked laughing....She just turned 4....a bit later in the day something was amiss and she said matter of factly....Ninjas did it.....

You would THINK Hemi Ninjas wear orange and would be easy to spot.....hmmmmm......damm ninjas...

Thanks all.....see Im trainable And grateful.......

The egg came first it would look the the chicken smacked the valve...
Chris "Drooze" Wertman 3132 (F/SA 2009 Challenger Drag Pak #24 with a best of 10.59)
Chris "drooze" Wertman is offline   Reply With Quote