View Single Post
Old 09-01-2022, 11:29 AM   #27
Tabitha Draughon

Liked 672 Times in 220 Posts
Default Re: CCRA Racer Spotlight

CCRA-Carolina Class Racers Association Racer Spotlight:

We took an extended vacation from last week & stayed close so we could put some focus on Maury, NC's very own Avery McLawhorn this week. He is 28 years young & has only been racing for 2 years. I can tell you that in those short 2 years, I personally have watched him grow & improve each race & there's more to come. His own racecar is a 1966 Chevy II aka Money Pitt or Pain in my ***, powered by a SBC 283 CI built by his father, Ed. McLawhorn Jr. Here recently we have seen him piloting his dad's ride, a 1966 Chevy II Wagon. Avery's sponsors include: Frank Lupo Dynamic Converters, his dad Ed McLawhorn, & his wife, Samantha McLawhorn. His states that his most memorable win is TBD! 🙂 A few of Avery's accomplishments include building motors with his dad, getting the car to finally hook after all season of chasing demons, restoring his car back to full SS trim after it being a bracket car since 1990, being a member as well as a sponsor of CCRA-Carolina Class Racers Association, & lastly getting his first round wins in a Super Stock car in both the CCRA-Carolina Class Racers Association & NHRA Southeast Division 2 races. He would like to give "Special Thanks" to his dad, his granddad (Ed McLawhorn Sr), in which both his car & his dad's car was inherited from the elder McLawhorn in the 80's, & Frank Lup Dynamic Converters. Avery recalls two of his most epic fails being his hand slipping of his transbrake against Rick Mann in first round of Virginia Motorsports Park NHRA Northeast Division division race before Rick was fully staged & him blowing his motor at the NHRA Southeast Division 2 race at Rockingham Dragway in 2021. His funny racing story is being blamed on his crew chief/dad for leaving the spark plug wire off, not once but twice, resulting in one bad time run & the 2nd was a round loss. I bet the crew chief/dad heard about that for awhile 😉! Avery competes in NHRA Southeast Division 2, NHRA Northeast Division, & CCRA-Carolina Class Racers Association races.

Avery, just like his dad, is a very well liked guy around the dragstrip. He is always willing to jump in & help fellow racers in a time of need. Avery will also help Tabitha & Leigh Anne with CCRA-Carolina Class Racers Association operations at the track when needed as he has handled the staging lanes on multiple occasions. Not sure which one of the McLawhorn's will be racing at the next NHRA Southeast Division 2 at GALOT Motorsports Park but I know they will be there. And then of course, he'll participate at the CCRA-Carolina Class Racers Association finale in November at Coastal Plains Raceway Park Dragway.
Although the CCRA-Carolina Class Racers Association is off for a few months, there is still plenty of races left & we wish all of our racers success on & off the track. The #BIG GO at Lucas Oil Indianapolis Raceway Park is currently taking place with Class Eliminations being ran today. Some of the other races coming up is the NHRA Southeast Division 2 race at GALOT Motorsports Park, national events at Maple Grove Raceway & zMAX DRAGWAY, as well as the NHRA Northeast Division race at Virginia Motorsports Park. See y'all at the track soon!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	am2.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	120.7 KB
ID:	64426   Click image for larger version

Name:	am1.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	146.9 KB
ID:	64427   Click image for larger version

Name:	am3.jpg
Views:	161