View Single Post
Old 01-24-2015, 08:57 PM   #1
Tony Curcio

Liked 4 Times in 1 Post
Default Boost Monitoring?

I was reading a story about how the rules are enforced in the British Touring Car Championship. As road racers go, this is a relatively low budget class. Front wheel drive cars with factory turbo-charged 4 cyl engines, with rules similar to stock eliminator.

The sanction provides a boost sensor that is compatible with the mandated data logger. The log is reviewed to make sure the maximum allowable boost was not exceeded, except in cases of missed shifts, early downshifts, or brief over-revving.

I wonder if this would be needed or wanted in Factory Stock for supercharged applications? As it stands now, boost is teched by measuring pulleys. Is that enough? Is there a waste gate on any of these? Wouldn't modified rotors/screws give a clever competitor an advantage? The logger would eliminate the need to disassemble the blower to detect a car with more boost than the others.

I don't think anyone that owns a CJ, COPO or Drag Pak would see a mandated data logger as a financial burden. I think they have a Racepak logger as standard equipment anyway.

The old front wheel drive cars just tighten up the waste gate when they need more boost. But if they get carried away, they'll blow up the engine. Is that good enough for the factory race cars too?