View Single Post
Old 10-10-2012, 07:06 PM   #6
Matt Schurman
Sponsor

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Generator Questions and Answers, by R&J Control Inc

Thanks for your question Jim!

I get many questions about oil change intervals and also the type of oil recommended.

On your particular model, the MicroQuiet 4000, the factory says, change the oil at 150 hours, more or less depending on the conditions of use.
Hot ambient conditions and heavy loads, all will require more frequent changes. An RV that is not used much, would only see maybe 30 hours per year, so the factory says, change it annually in that case.

Realistically, in my opinion, 100 hours is a good interval mark. After all, that unit runs at 3600 RPM, is a single cylinder machine, and if we made a comparison between this machine's 100 hours of operation and mileage, we would probably arrive around 4000 miles. So, given that it's just one and a half quarts, I say....do it, do it frequently....

On the subject of what type of oil to use, the factory recommends 15-40 weight oil between 10 and 100 degrees of ambient temperature. In my opinion, Shell Rotella T 15/40 is an excellent choice, reasonably priced and will provide heavy duty protection. That being said, all synthetic oils of good quality names I'm sure will provide excellent protection however I will caution you to observe the weight ratings and don't use anything light such as 5/30 unless you are operating the machine in frigid conditions (below 40 degrees).

Hope that helps you, you can always reach me directly at Matts@RJControl.com