View Single Post
Old 06-03-2020, 09:12 AM   #8
Eric Merryfield

Liked 471 Times in 114 Posts
Smile Re: RV house batteries, AGM anyone use them?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 340Cuda View Post
Eric,
This is what my son had to say:

"He needs to have the inverter or whatever charges to the batteries checked out, it will also ruin AGM batteries if it is cooking regular batteries like that.

His overfilling might be making it look worse than it is. During charging the fluid level actually raises up. So if you fill them to the top of the well when they charge they will leak out of the caps. Ideal fill level should be just to the bottom of the little plastic tube that extends from the top into the fluid, that gives it some room for expansion. Some fluid usage is normal but I don't feel he should have to fill it up every time he uses it.

Also if he does want to go AGM he needs to make sure his inverter has a setting for AGM batteries. With an 06 model coach it may not have that option, but it doesn't sound like the inverter is working properly anyways."

He did not mention it but I have heard him say many times the biggest cause for short life on RV, golf cart, boat, generator, and tractor batteries is not keeping them charged over periods of no use. Of course some type of battery maintainer would work best.

Good luck!
Bill
Thanks, Update

Turns out the house batteries were 3 seasons old, and my bad practice of overfilling certainly didn't help, Replaced them with 3 Interstate SRM-31's, got schooled by the interstate guys on what the proper acid level is, plugged it in, charger/inverter is perfect, batteries full, not charging, only drawing 4 amps for the fridge.

On to my next thing.

Thanks

Eric