View Single Post
Old 05-20-2020, 05:45 PM   #5
Eric Merryfield

Liked 467 Times in 113 Posts
Default Re: RV house batteries, AGM anyone use them?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 340Cuda View Post
Eric,
Seems unusual to me that you have to add water after every race. So the suggestions to check the charger seem correct.

Cooked one bad when we were new to the MH, rotten egg smell in the bedroom for a Etown LODRS race, since then, I spray them down to clean the dirt off, and add up to the top(overfilling I am sure as it supposed to be 1/8 under, I think), using distilled water.

Do you keep a battery maintainer on the batteries between races and especially during the winter? No, can't during the year, its a few hundred feet from the house with the trailer, does have solar trickle. I didn't check the water level when I got the coach back from Cummins in Feb, put it on shore to try and keep the batteries charged and boiled out the middle battery. My bad on that one.

How long have the batteries been lasting? 2 years or so for the house and 2 years max on the engine.

My son has worked for an Interstate dealer for over twenty years. Once I get the details I will ask him about it and tell you what he says. I know they do a lot of motor home, golf cart and boat batteries this time of year.

Thanks, I know I am commiting blatant user-error with the overfilling of the water, likely misusing the charger/inverter too.

Bill
Seems unusual to me that you have to add water after every race. So the suggestions to check the charger seem correct.

Cooked one bad when we were new to the MH, rotten egg smell in the bedroom for a Etown LODRS race, since then, I spray them down to clean the dirt off, and add up to the top(overfilling I am sure as it supposed to be 1/8 under, I think), using distilled water.

Do you keep a battery maintainer on the batteries between races and especially during the winter?

No, can't during the year, its a few hundred feet from the house with the trailer, does have solar trickle. I didn't check the water level when I got the coach back from Cummins in Feb, put it on shore to try and keep the batteries charged and boiled out the middle battery. My bad on that one.

How long have the batteries been lasting? 2 years or so for the house and 2 years max on the engine.

My son has worked for an Interstate dealer for over twenty years. Once I get the details I will ask him about it and tell you what he says. I know they do a lot of motor home, golf cart and boat batteries this time of year.

Thanks, I know I am commiting blatant user-error with the overfilling of the water, likely misusing the charger/inverter too.

Eric