View Single Post
Old 12-14-2009, 11:32 PM   #25
Jeff Lee
VIP Member

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default Re: Need info for 1969 Hurst Super Stock AMXs

Two stories (I'll keep 'em short) - My friend Neil Smedley was offered a SS/AMX ride in '69 as he held a record and they needed somebody for the upper state NY area. All giddy with excitement he drove his van to Michigan to pick up the car. They handed him a $5900 invoice. Neil thought it would be free , reminded them of who he was. Still, he drove home with his empty trailer.

Other coast. Frisbee Motors is offered a SS/AMX from the San Fran depot. It had been sitting awhile as another team walked from the sponsor deal & nobody wanted it for $5900. He got it cheaper as it was old inventory, raced it in the 1969 season and installed the 1970 sheetmetal and parts to convert it to a 1970 model along with a 1970 VIN tag; all provided by AMC with instructions to do so! Yes, all 1969 SS/AMX owners were provided for this by AMC. He raced it as a 1970 model until NHRA caught on and said "no". My friend Mark owns this car today and it's restored to race day 1970. SS/AMX #3

Sometime after Mr. Frisbee bought #3, the AMC depot again called him. They "found" another SS/AMX in the same parking garage. Found as if they didn't have record of receiving it! They offered it to Mr. Frisbee for $1700!
He refused as he was much to busy with Frisbee Motors and a few other race cars!

Mr. Frisbee is meeting Mark in a few weeks to be reunited with his old car for the first time in decades. I can't wait to see how the afternoon turns out.