View Single Post
Old 05-18-2015, 01:37 PM   #2
n5ifi

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Starting problems...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67champ View Post
Ok, this has been a several years ongoing issue, but it seems like ever since I added my TCI outlaw shifter I have been experiencing several intermittent starting issues. It doesn't matter if it's hot or cold outside, doesn't matter if starter is hot or cold. It has random slow cranking, or sluggish cranking first half-second then normal, sometimes no cranking! (but, some days it doesn't do it all day..... other days it happens most of the time..)

I have heard this may be due to the shifter's micro-switch neutral safety and the fact that I didn't add a relay into the start circuit when converting to the new shifter from stock.

At this point I'm not even certain what a relay does, but I am thinking of installing relay as a last ditch effort to resolve this problem.

Can you give me any words of wisdom on this subject? Thanks.
The switch is binary. It's either on or off.
Unless it's wired wrong, it's not your problem for slow cranking. If it's wired wrong and causing slow cranking its probably on fire sooooo.

The problem with slow cranking is more likely to be a connection problem somewhere. The problem here is that you most likely can't find it with a regular ohm meter unless you are lucky or really good. These slow cranking connection problems are all less than 1 ohm for the most part.

Look for poor connections visually. Clean any connection point and look for loose crimps, corrosion etc.etc.

Install your voltmeter across connection points and take measurements readings while cranking the car.

For example, faulty or badly corroded safety shutoff switch contacts. Turn the switch on and put your voltmeter (VDC) leads on each side of the switch you should see no voltage at all right? Why? There is no potential difference across the switch. There is probably little current flow either at that point. If there is resistance in the switch or connection you will see voltage when the you try and start the car. This is the voltage drop across the connection. If you check across these connection during high current draw like starting the car and see voltage that is a bad connection.

Last edited by n5ifi; 05-18-2015 at 01:40 PM.
n5ifi is offline   Reply With Quote