View Single Post
Old 05-18-2023, 12:23 PM   #13
Tabitha Draughon

Liked 672 Times in 220 Posts
Default Re: CCRA Crew Chief Spotlight

CCRA-Carolina Class Racers Association Crew Chief Spotlight

This man needs no introduction to CCRA-Carolina Class Racers Association as he's a staple at our races but we're still going to put him in the spotlight this week. Mr. J.V. Haynes III, 71 years young, of Stanstonburg, NC, is the head crew chief for Doug Hobgood & has been holding this title for 15 years now. Whew, I don't know how Mrs. Katie has dealt with him for that long 🤣! Mr. Doug is also that one that introduced JV to the great sport of drag racing that we all love. J.V. says that his most memorable win with Doug was in Richmond, VA. I'd need clarification if this was at Virginia Motorsports Park or the old Richmond Dragway. However he list Coastal Plains Raceway Park Dragway as his favorite track. J.V.'s duties as crew chief include checking tire pressure, putting gas in the car, & helping in the water box. Based off the 2nd picture I posted with him pointing his finger in the finals of the CCRA-Carolina Class Racers Association at KDS Motorsports, I'd say money is being discussed & I can tell you first hand not to give any of Doug's money to J.V. because Doug will never see it 😂😂😂!!! His says that his least favorite part of the job is waiting. This is a prime example where I say Mrs. Katie has tons of patience. He'll get bored, ride off on his yellow scooter, & stop to "shut the breeze" with fellow racers. J.V. says that Doug's biggest complaint with him as his crew chief is that he eats too much. In other words, the refrigerator is empty at the end of a weekend race. His funny story regarding racing was when Mr. Doug won his first IHRA Ironman & he had a .000 reaction time.

The H&f performance SS Camaro mainly runs CCRA-Carolina Class Racers Association nowadays but you might find them at some local NHRA Southeast Division 2 races once Mr. Doug & Mrs. Katie sell their business & retire. During the meantime, we hope that they have taken the time to get their hot rod ready for our now first race of the 2023 season coming up June 3rd & 4th at KDS Motorsports. It's been way too long without me seeing & picking on Mr. J.V. & I'd lying if I said I didn't miss him. 😉
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	jv2.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	71.9 KB
ID:	67285   Click image for larger version

Name:	jv1.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	68.1 KB
ID:	67286  
Tabitha Draughon is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked