Old 11-20-2020, 03:16 AM   #8
Adger Smith
VIP Member

Liked 677 Times in 261 Posts
Default Re: Camaro steering box

,Larry & FED gave me these a while back.. hope it helps
Adger

you have several choices.

* S-10 manual box [with the S-10 box in most cases it is a direct replacement. Input spline & pitman spline same as OE. It will have a four bolt top]

* manual GM box from 70's cars [this is also a direct fit in some cases. GM produced several spline counts so it takes some comparing to find the exact match. This is a three bolt top. This box is about one pound lighter than the S-10 box and overall slightly smaller.

* Vega box [this box is smaller and lighter than both the above, however, it requires a custom/special pitman arm. Ed Quay, Flaming River, and maybe others furnish the special arm.

Of the three, I would look for the 70's box.

Adger, I "think" all GM manual boxes will be about the same in ratio. [maybe an exception but it would be a rare option] The greater turn to turn ratio of manual boxes is an advantage, steering is not touchy]

The 60's and 70's three-bolt top gear is a good choice but it takes careful searching to find the correct spline count. They are out there, I have found and installed several.

An S-10 box is available reman from most parts stores. To my knowledge, there is only one part number. It's advantage, a direct bolt in replacement, remove power gear, install S-10 manual gear.

The quicker ratios come with PS boxes.

VIP Member

7806396-------20:1 ratio---- 67-75 Camaro

7819935-------16:1 ratio---- Monza and Vega

FED 387

Last edited by Adger Smith; 11-20-2020 at 03:16 AM. Reason: sp
Adger Smith is offline   Reply With Quote