View Single Post
Old 10-29-2020, 10:26 AM   #368
Fastglen

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Default Re: Best Pontiac Powered Super Stockers

Just a few words to complete the interesting Pontiac racing history some of you are compiling. I did purchase Jack Mullins 73 Super Duty. It had a stick and I changed to an automatic and really woke it up. The car had an impressive winning streak and did set a record in the process. As my friend John Clegg reminds me often, The biggest expense on the car was front tires, as we went through them often trying to adjust to the new "break out "rules. The previous picture of the flats were at the Winternationals during the quarter final round. There were several other simular episodes, so I decided to go comp racing in econo funny car with the former Gene Snow Snowman car (Pontiac Astra) this time with ram air v equipment. I returned to Super Stock with the Larry Pacey 74 Super Duty delivered to my home by Darrell Gwyn in his funny car hauler on the way to the west coast. The car was never defeated in National class events and won many local and Points races. We set the national record in SS/LA as a formula car powered with the 400 engine. It was this car that that got the attention of Kenny Bernstein and the Budweiser-Motorcraft group for the Super Team. I joined the Team as the Super Stock pilot in a Mustang and traded the 74 to John Clegg for a custom Weather Master 42 foot hauler built of course by John.
I have tried to trace the 73 car after I sold it to a young medical student in Houston but have been unsuccessful. The 74 is the car JB Clegg is now successfully campaigning. Hope this helps complete the interesting history on the previous pages.

Last edited by Fastglen; 11-10-2020 at 11:27 AM. Reason: SS/LA instead of SS/MA
Fastglen is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked