Old 01-14-2015, 08:20 PM   #4
Mike Pearson
VIP Member

Liked 1,629 Times in 502 Posts
Default Re: True Horsepower Classes in NHRA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim D'Amore View Post
Mike,

Thank you for the reply, so your saying they compare them to what the factory said the original power was? If its just a number they throw out there to say how much your car has to weigh, then I would like to keep away from Horsepower being added when running the cars to their full potential.

Most of the cars we work on are already in the highest class now called FS/A. The index on that is 9.70, to keep it an average of .85 under the index means you have to run no faster than an 8.85. Our cars will run 8.40's. There is no class above this for us to go faster. It still would be cool to see the cars rated for what they really make.

Jim D'Amore
No it's to compare one combo to another. It really has little to do with the factory rating or the actual HP output of the engine. There is always going to be problems when you are running an under factored combo at the top class in the eliminator. If you take too many hits you could run yourself out of the class. In my case the combo that I run there is no car in the country that could come within a tenth of hitting an auto trigger on the AHFS. Anyone running the same combo as me would have to run all out to get to a second under the index. This is pretty much the same for the older combos.
The formation of the new classes for the factory race cars is a step in the right direction. I don't think NHRA had a plan or a clue when the new high HP factory cars came on the scene. For you guys to be able to run all out there needs to be a new eliminator just for your type cars. Then they could just adjust the index with out changing the weight on the car. Similar to the way they deal with the modified cars in SS