View Single Post
Old 01-14-2015, 02:56 PM   #1
Jim D'Amore
Sponsor

Liked 65 Times in 17 Posts
Default True Horsepower Classes in NHRA

Now that they separated the New cars from the Old cars wouldn't it be more exciting to rate the New cars for their actual Horsepower?!

Hypothetically speaking, let's say a 1,000 HP class at a 3.25 weight ratio. That will put most of the newer cars about as light as they can get them. I know everyone likes to protect the index but at the end of every year most of these newer cars end up adding 15-35 HP on their car anyway. Most of the FSA cars out there can run 8.50's to 8.40's! So you make the index on a 1,000 HP class 9.35 this way we don't have to keep changing the weight on the cars. It will save time with NHRA between paperwork at the half year and end of year horsepower punishments. I know it would make me feel better saying I race a 1,000 HP car instead of a 500 HP car! If you go to an event and a fan walks up to you saying "Man that was a fast pass" and ask you the Horsepower of your car and you tell him it's rated at 500 HP. He says "hell I have that much power in my diesel pick up truck!" and looks at you like your lying. Then he's not a fan anymore because he thinks we are lying to him! For those of you working with Manufacturers I think they will walk a little taller into work on Monday knowing that you did well at the race with their 1,000 HP COPO or Drag pack or Cobra Jet.

It's just a thought here guys, I'm new to this game only being involved with NHRA for 5 years. Could you please explain to me your pro's and con's of not telling the truth about Horsepower?

The Stock Eliminator guys are the hardest working racers to find Horsepower. You have more rules than any other class. I don't want to tell my Grandson that I worked for 5 years on one combination and only made 325 HP. What do you guys think?

Jim@JDM